Kx80 Piston skirt shatter!

Hello, late October my bike died while doing a hillclimb. Make a long story short the skirt on my piston has shattered on the exhaust side. My neighbor who has lots of expeirence with dirt bikes said the skirt shattered because my rings were worn. I had replaced them then rode it prolly 40+ hours so thats most likely to be the cause. He says all i need to do is get some kerosine or diesel and flush the bottom end out 5-10 times to get all the fragments out then do a top end rebuild. I got 2 large chunks out that cover about 50% of the broken skirt out just by shaking it. What is you guys opinion about this method of fixing it?

i would split the cases not to hard and clean it out. just think 10000 rpm and a little piece of metal flying around in there. it dosnt seem it would be worthe the risk to me. split the cases and do it right .

Alright, Thank you for your advice

i would split the cases not to hard and clean it out. just think 10000 rpm and a little piece of metal flying around in there. it dosnt seem it would be worthe the risk to me. split the cases and do it right .

X2.

Small pieces can get trapped in the main bearings and all around in there. Besides, that aluminum can do some damage to the mains. I have a main, right now on the bench, that a piece of piston chewed up pretty good. Depending on how many hours are on the bottomend, you may want to consider doing it too.

Anyhoo, pistons breaking is due more to fatigue than just worn rings. Our 250, that I just rebuilt, shattered it's skirt and it had over 200hrs on it and was still pushing 200psi compression. So the rings were great, just too many hrs on the components.