Debris in bottom oil filter bolt threads

The first time I cleaned the oil filter on my 01 426 the bottom bolt came out really hard. It was kind of like it had lots of tread lock on it. When I got it out the threads were rounded on the bolt. I just ran a tap (i think 6mm) in to clean up the treads on the side cover and took the bolt out of my 99 400 for the 426.

I am just careful not to overtighten the bolt and bought a new one for the 400. Maybe the bolt was over tight from the factory to start with.

Have had no prob. since.

Jon

------------------

01 YZ426F, 99 YZ400F, 86 XR250, 76 RD400, 71

Heavily Modified Z50

My '01 had the same feeling when I tried to put the bolt back in (felt find coming out) and I believe that it was caused by some of the metal shavings from the oil filter dropping into the bottom bolt hole as the oil drained from the oil filter area. I didn't force it in and was able to clean the stuff out, but if your threads are rounded already then you may want to try jbirds idea and run a tap into the case and get a new bolt or run it through a die to fix up the threads. Don't overtighten, only 10nm!!

if u buy this month issue of dirt bike it explains the problem and ty davis's fix, something like a drain hole causes little metal shavings to fall into the threads and strip the bolt when u pull it out, tys fix is to tap the small drain hole and plug it, its in the 101 riding tips of dirt bike