Sign in to follow this  

Graphics. Alternatives? White plastic?

I plan to put some new plastic on my race bike this summer.

Is there an alternative to graphics kits that will protect your plastic?

We all know the blue YZ plastic shows white creases very quickly. Usually I put a graphics kit on the bikes to protect the plastic and keep it looking good.

The standard issue graphics kits are covered in "sponsor" logos, but none of them even give me a pat on the back for my racing effort, so why should I pay to run their logos?

I don't want skulls, tits, Metal Mulisha, Monster Energy or tribal designs either.

Yeah, I know, I'm no fun... But I just want clean, professional looking, high quality graphics to make my bikes look good a little longer than bare plastic. I don't want to be a billboard for companies who offer me no racing support.

I looked into custom graphics kits, and they look great, however at $200 - $250 each, it's not worth it yet.

I have the impression that white plastic holds up better because it doesn't show the creases. I have considered running all white plastic on my 125 without graphics.

True I got white plastic fenders now and they show less abuse, yellow is actually pretty similar. I like the blue shrouds though and with a flu design shrout the white fenders look good to me.

Depending on the year of your bike, there are lots of graphics kits out there. Not so much choice for the older bikes, but anything based on the current body style there are several companies out there that make kits.

Try searching eBay and the internet. Once you find a kit you like, contact the company that makes it and see if they have a kit for your bike.

I personally like the One Industries Hurricane Kit, but it is getting harder to find, and yellow plastics for my '06 are pretty much a buy from Europe anymore. Everyonce in a while I can find some pieces on eBay for it (yellow parts that is).

The Flu Designs kits are also pretty nice and I know that they have some kits without a bunch of skulls and crap in them. I had a nice set on my blue '00 426F.

I don't want skulls, tits, Metal Mulisha, Monster Energy or tribal designs

I wouldnt mind having plain plastics with just tits and butts all over it. All white plastic with black tits and butts one one side, black plastic with white tits and butts on other side. Bam! Someone pay me royalties for that one.

I agree monster energy and the other stuff you mentioned is stupid looking and every poser has monster energy stuff plastered all over everything they own.

If you are just trying to protect your plastics, you can get some one colored number plate backgrounds and cover the fenders and shrouds with them like they are graphics. I have done it with white number plate backgrounds for $15 and it looked good considering the price I payed for the #plate backgrounds. You can take a sharpie to them if you get bored and you are a good artist. you can also cut them out in the same way that graphics are cut out and they will fit just like graphics. Its all just a flat peice of sticker with a template cut out on it so why not use some super cheap stickers? It might look good with the blue edges around the pure white graphics too.

I like plain yamis with a white rear fender a lot. Such a clean look. The blue does show signs of wear easy but a fairly cheap to replace. Id get a new style front fender from cycra and run it without anything but a white rear fender new style front fender maybe a 2010+ front number plate too.

I did all white plastic on mine. I did the late number plate and fender and i now really like my old steed.

IMAG0256.jpg

Like you CW, i'm going for a white YZed :doh:

OH MY! You have a fine taste on graphics man! :thumbsup: ....BRILLIANT man! :thumbsup:

Where'd you get those? Mind sharing a link? i'm on the hunt of red-white YZ250 graphics since i'm planning on a full-white plastic kit.

Thanks heaps man!

from this

to this

DSC04402.jpg

Here's my red/whited out 06

DSC_0015.jpg

2011-05-14_08-46-31_925a.jpg

Man, where'd you get those graphics? Feed me man with info on how to get them please :lol:

That graphics kit may be simple, but when mated with a YZ in white plastics, that is just an ABSOLUTELY MIND-BLOWING BEAUTY! :thumbsup:

did all white plastic on mine. I did the late number plate and fender and i now really like my old steed.

Your bike looks good. That is pretty much what I'm talking about in clean and basic graphics.

I haven't seen any of the fender or airbox stickers without company logos... I would like a complete kit.

Do you have any issues with the dyed tank? I mean, does it stain your gasoline, or rub off into your riding gear?

For the record, I think the "sponsor" stickers and logos actually look great. That's what makes a bike look like a race machine. I just don't want to pay for stickers to represent companies who aren't sponsoring my racing.

I like plain yamis with a white rear fender a lot. Such a clean look. The blue does show signs of wear easy but a fairly cheap to replace. Id get a new style front fender from cycra and run it without anything but a white rear fender new style front fender maybe a 2010+ front number plate too.

AJMAG247, I've seen a photo of your white YZ, It looks excellent.

I think you guys are solidly confirming my impressions of white plastic. I'll give it a try with a UFO kit for my YZ125. I'll stick with blue on the 250, for now.

Joshua_Inigo, that red framed 125 is one of the best looking bikes I've seen. Red and white look so good on a YZ. That's pretty much what I'd like to do with my 125.

Dirtjumpordie, Good idea. I used to put black "contact-paper" on the aluminum frame rails of my 1998 CR250R when I had it. It prevented my boots from rubbing black aluminum dust all over the white number plates. I got a lot of postitive comments and questions about it at the race track in those early days of aluminum frames. For those who don't know, "contact-paper" is a cheap product you can get at most variety stores and some grocery stores, etc. It's a thin plastic roll (think of a standard thin sticker) with any variety of colors. It's not as durable as real graphics, but it's a couple bucks a roll. I think you get about 18" or 16" wide by about 36" long. I am seriously considering covering the plastic with that stuff. Even if it rubs through in three or four races, I can replace it for under $10.

Joshua_Inigo, that red framed 125 is one of the best looking bikes I've seen. Red and white look so good on a YZ. That's pretty much what I'd like to do with my 125.

ABSOLUTELY good-looking eh! :thumbsup: ....So, we prolly have got the same taste on women as well haha :thumbsup:

Here's the gentleman reply where to get them from:

Its a custom made graphics kit designed by Twostrokemotocross.com from http://www.illusiong.../mx-graphix.php

here is the thread to the build of the bike http://twostrokemoto...pic,2039.0.html

I did get some dye in the fuel, but I run 110 which is dyed at the pump and my oil is dark....so i can't say how much. I have not seen any black on my pants.

I did get some dye in the fuel, but I run 110 which is dyed at the pump and my oil is dark....so i can't say how much. I have not seen any black on my pants.

Thanks for that. Is that a continual thing or did you only get some dye for a while?

Am I correct to assume it hasn't caused any carburetor or engine problems with your bike?

New white tanks are not cheap... I might pick up a spare / used tank and give that dye process a try.

I suppose I'll go over that HollywoodMX thread again and make some notes based on everyone's input.

ABSOLUTELY good-looking eh! :thumbsup: ....So, we prolly have got the same taste on women as well haha :thumbsup:

Maybe... I like the physically fit ones who don't take it too far toward looking like a body builder / man. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What part of wa are you in? I have a tank to dye the tanks in that you could use. I am in otis orchards, wa.

What part of wa are you in? I have a tank to dye the tanks in that you could use. I am in otis orchards, wa.

I'll be in Afghanistan through most of June.

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I get home. It's going to be a really hectic summer for me this year.

I live near Port Orchard, WA... I think we're at opposite sides of the state unfortunately. If you ever do some riding out west, let me know.

Another thing about white plastic is that it doesn't have to be shiny to look good. You can clean it with an SOS pad and it will look great. Virtually every race bike we've owned since 1996 I switched out to white plastic when the OEM stuff started looking bad. It is in my opinion the easiest of all colors to keep looking good. The Yamaha blue is probably one of the worst right behind black. Silver isn't very good either.

Another thing about white plastic is that it doesn't have to be shiny to look good. You can clean it with an SOS pad and it will look great. Virtually every race bike we've owned since 1996 I switched out to white plastic when the OEM stuff started looking bad. It is in my opinion the easiest of all colors to keep looking good. The Yamaha blue is probably one of the worst right behind black. Silver isn't very good either.

x2 :thumbsup:

YZ graphics with some red-colour or strips on them don't jive as well with the blue plastics.... White plastics plus white graphics with red-and-black strips are the ultimate combo, at least for me :thumbsup:

45549152612994751630110.jpg

45549152613001418296110.jpg

see-through-bottom-canoe-3101.jpg

Edited by joshua_inigo

I ran GYTR blue flow graphics, with all white plastic and the original blue tank. This kit transitions the blue on the tank and the white on the shrouds pretty nice, and covers really well. I had some trouble with it peeling in the very thinnest areas on the shrouds but they didn't tear or crack in a year of racing.

I have Attack preprinted backgrounds that tie into the kit pretty nicely too. The only logos on the whole bike are Yamaha, and GYTR. I have a factory FX kit on right now, but I'm going back to the GYTR stuff, I think it looked cleaner.

The basic Graphics kit: (shown on a 4T :thumbsup: )

GYT-5UM25-80-00.jpg

On the YZinger

With the Pre-prints:

10055151.jpg

With stick on numbers:

10008152.jpg

i have a very good condition hurricane kit id be willing to trade for a oem seat cover or aftermarket and blue plastic

SOAB_465, that's a good looking bike!

Jer500, thanks for the offer. The main reason I decided not to use yellow is that it's expensive and tough to find plastic if I crash and crack something.

Well, here's a little update... I picked up a spare YZ125 tank on flea-bay for $73... I'll dye it black and run it temporarily...

I have a better fuel tank solution in planning for the long term. :thumbsup:

I also bought a 2008 CRF450R seat cover with white sides and a black gripper top.

I got DecalMX to give me a discount that takes some of the sting out of their custom graphics. So I'll be running some custom white/red/black full graphics and a full white plastic kit through them as well.

I really like the look of the White/Red/Black bikes and you guys have confirmed my suspicion that white plastic looks good for a longer time.

Before/after pics to follow in early July (when I get home).