START OR JOIN RIDING CLUB? Read more... ×

Whats the correct way of fixing handle bars not in line with front wheel?

Hey I have an idea but just wanted to double check, Whats the correct way of fixing handle bars not in line with front wheel on my 08 CRF450x?

Here's a photo of the problem, what it looks like rite now, very annoying riding having to hold the bars on an angle:

P1020982.jpg

As you can see, the actuall handle bar mounts are on the piss, Ive fixt this a bit before by removing the handle bars & rubber bushes where it mounts to the head stock & swapped the rubbers around from sid to side & that straightend them up a bit, but it still wasnt perfect.

So its is next thing to do loosen the fork clamps, hold the front wheel still, twist the handle bars to the correct possition then tighten the fork clamps?

Is that what I need to do? Or is that wrong?

Cheers!! :thumbsup:

Edited by hxr400

Turns out one of the bar mount bolts were slightly bent, swaped them side of side, now thebars a level with the head stock but the front wheel is still out I think.

I would have guessed that a bar mount bolt was bent. For the aligning of the wheel and forks loosen your front axle, pinch bolts, upper and lower triple clamps, then retighten. When you loosen the triple clamps you will see everything straighten up. Remember to tighten everything back to the correct torque spec.

Oh cool, so it will spring back to the middle by its self, cool thanks! I would of only undone the triple clamps & tried to twist the handle bars straight to the wheel. Good to know, Cheers!

I would have guessed that a bar mount bolt was bent. For the aligning of the wheel and forks loosen your front axle, pinch bolts, upper and lower triple clamps, then retighten. When you loosen the triple clamps you will see everything straighten up. Remember to tighten everything back to the correct torque spec.

Thats good advice. The forks will work better after you straighten them up. When twisted they are in a bind.

When you do that, make sure you do it in a very specific order,

1. Loosen pinch bolts, front axel, and upper and lower triple clamp bolts and remove the front wheel.

2; Tighten lower triple clamp

3. Tighten upper triple clamp

4. Tighten the front axel.

5. Tighten the left axel pinch bolts

6. Apply front brake and pump the forks up and down several times.

7. Without moving anything, tighten the right axel pinch bolts.

If your bars are still off, then they are bent.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

When you do that, make sure you do it in a very specific order,

1. Loosen pinch bolts, front axel, and upper and lower triple clamp bolts and remove the front wheel.

2; Tighten lower triple clamp

3. Tighten upper triple clamp

4. Tighten the front axel.

5. Tighten the left axel pinch bolts

6. Apply front brake and pump the forks up and down several times.

7. Without moving anything, tighten the right axel pinch bolts.

If your bars are still off, then they are bent.

Jim.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::lol:

To add some more info:

There are several items that can get out of line:

Bars (bent)

Bar riser clamps (twisted)* (most common)

Bar riser clamp bolt (bent)

Bar riser clamp rubber grommet (worn out)

Triple clamps (loose)

Forks in triple clamps (twisted)

Front wheel (bent axle)

* I use a large 5' long, 1 1/2" EMT pipe, and slip it over one side of the bars. With the front wheel at full lock, I push the pipe to re-position the bar riser clamps back to normal. Even with hand guard removal and re-installation, it is the fastest way I know of to get the bars back in line. Loosening the clamp bolts and trying to wrestle the bars back in line usually doesn't work, because the rubber grommets get deformed, and when you tighten it all back down, the bars relocate to he 'twisted' position.

I would say you need to determine what is off. If the triple clamp is off from the front wheel, loosen the forks and straighten. If the triple clamps and tires are straight but the bars are off, check the clamps. I've found that the reference marks on the bars will be different on both clamps if its the bar clamps that need straightened. If the marks are the same on both sides it might be the bars. It looks like your right clamp is being pulled down so its probably just your clamps. If it keeps happening check the hardware and rubber.

Thanks heaps guys! Im doing it now, seems pretty straight forward.

Cheers!

Check the risers. Especially if u took a fall hard onto the handlebars. I've bent the crap outta my risers and got two more. Now I just switch them out from time to time to keep the front end straight.

Oh. And next time, fall the other way.

:banghead::thumbsup::applause::)

To add some more info:

There are several items that can get out of line:

Bars (bent)

Bar riser clamps (twisted)* (most common)

Bar riser clamp bolt (bent)

Bar riser clamp rubber grommet (worn out)

Triple clamps (loose)

Forks in triple clamps (twisted)

Front wheel (bent axle)

* I use a large 5' long, 1 1/2" EMT pipe, and slip it over one side of the bars. With the front wheel at full lock, I push the pipe to re-position the bar riser clamps back to normal. Even with hand guard removal and re-installation, it is the fastest way I know of to get the bars back in line. Loosening the clamp bolts and trying to wrestle the bars back in line usually doesn't work, because the rubber grommets get deformed, and when you tighten it all back down, the bars relocate to he 'twisted' position.

I went through this list and basically my stock Renthal bars are bent. I was hoping it would be something cheaper but I guess I can bend them back.

I would not bend them back. That can cause the metal to weaken even more than it is.

Just she'll out the money for a new bar. You do not want to be going at speed and suddenly your bar cracks leaving you unable to control your bike.