Sign in to follow this  

First ride new YZ250...big problem...please help

Hey all I need input or suggestions please. I just took my brand new 2011 YZ250 to open practice at Broome Tioga, NY only to have a rock crack my case in my 3rd session out! I think a rock somehow got pinched between the front sprocket/chain guard and the case cause one of my chain guard bolts snapped off in the thread and the guard was dented and has deep scratches in it. The crack is a few mm's big and just enough to let oil seep out. Is JB weld and option or is that a risky move? I should prolly drain the tranny oil too. Do I chance it by starting the bike up toheat up and drain the oil or just do it cold in case there could be small metal shavings? please help...I hate to have to buy a new case and tear this brand new bike totally apart... racing seasons right around the corner and i'm getting married in two months so I'm broke and totally bumming out now

Well sorry to hear that, first ride and that shit happend is bad luck really, a good welder should be able to do it if the crack is not so big. Or try ebay to get a another case.

Edited by arnego2

Devcon 10110 or jb will do it, but be aware that jb will drip into the case if there is an open hole. I would watch ebay for a new case because that stuff drives me nuts.

I've discovered JB Weld on my older bikes where prvious owners had same problem - never gave me grief. But yes, you wouldn't want it in the motor. Maybe JB till you find replacement?

JB weld should hold well if done right. Mine has held on 2 drill holes for 4yrs.

There's no worry on starting the bike to let it warm up the case oil doesn't lubricate the engine, just the transmission.

On a new bike like that I'd replace the case half unless an absolutely perfect repair could be made (which might require spliting the case anyway). Can you post a pic?