Selling my YZ250. Allow Test Rides?

Hey guys, I'm selling my bike. I know, I know...but I never got to ride my bike as much as I thought I would...not even close.

My question is:

If or when you sold your bike (any bike), did you allow the prospective buyer to test ride it?

Allowing someone to ride what they might buy seems like the right thing to do but I have noticed on some people's craigslist postings that they will not allow test rides. So, here I am asking...is that normal?

I can see that allowing a complete stranger to ride you beloved bike is an odd thing but how else are they to make a determination. Just wondering cause I have a few parties lined up to check out the bike this week.

Thanks.

• Like 1

no test ride, no buy

i need to see the bike works as designed and that it shifts smoothly and makes no noises. ive never been turned down for a test ride when i go to look at a bike. IMO the ads youve seen saying "no test rides" are not normal.

Edited by mynewcr250
  • Like 1

no test ride, no buy

i need to see the bike works as designed and that it shifts smoothly and makes no noises. ive never been turned down for a test ride when i go to look at a bike. IMO the ads youve seen saying "no test rides" are not normal.

I agree. I bought my bike used but the guy had no problem letting me ride it up and down his street. I got a feeling everyone will say the same.

Edited by chris818

Yes, let them test ride.

Talk to them first to make sure they are experienced enough, if this is they're first bike they don't want a yz250 anyway.

Make sure they're vehicle is left within your sight. If they flee at least you have a plate #.

At most I allowed the seller to hold my drivers license once while I test rode.

It takes some trust on both ends.

I would never buy without riding from a personal seller.

When I sell I allow test rides with cash (full asking price) in hand. Just in case someone runs off with the bike or wrecks it. After they get back, I hand it back and we negotiate from there. I also make sure they have a motorcycle endorsement or enough experience to ride the bike I am selling.

Not actually adding to the question: funny story; a good friend owns an independent MC shop and was selling his kx450 - young fellow comes by and wants to test ride it and friend says he doesn't have a place for him to ride it. Next day kid comes in accompanied by his father in a new Corvette and dad asks Rick to let the kid ride it. Rick says well he can take a short ride in the parking lot next door but no further or the Cops will be there. Kid gets on the bike heads to the lot makes one round and promptly hops on the street in front and grabs a handful of throttle - bam! down on the ground with a loop-out. Dad buys bike at full asking price!!!

Nearly all serious buyers will want to ride it. Making sure they have the money to actually buy the bike on them is a good idea. Just them leaving their vehicle isn't necessarily the safe choice. In Arizona, there was a group of thieves showing up at people's houses to test ride bikes and quads in trucks that they had just stolen. People felt safe, and would let the thieves test ride. The thieves would just ride right on out of the neighborhood and into a trailer and truck waiting for them. When thieves didn't come back, bike owner would go to truck left at their house and realize it was stolen.

I won't even think about buying a bike before running it through the gears first. Asking to hold their DL and their car registration and/or cash while they ride it is not out of the question though.

No newbies riding the bikes though, that's an exception.

hold the D.L. and verify that they have cash to make a purchase, i.e. they're serious buyers and not joyriders. but yes, test rides on used bikes is a mandatory for me. new bikes not so much as there's never a good trail network or track out a dealers front door to test on. plus the bike is new, what's to test? that it feels good? more than likely it's going to feel weird as it's not the bike you're used to. the test ride for a used bike is to verify that everything still works as it should. this shouldn't be necessary on a new bike.

I allow test rides at the track and only at the track. If they don't want to test it there (they can run it through all gears and test the suspension and brakes), then they don't get a test ride. I also only put a splash of gas in it so they get only a couple of laps.

I won't let anyone test ride in my neighborhood. Not safe, not legal, and I don't want to irritate my neighbors.

As a buyer, you want to test ride... As a seller, you have to realize there are idiots out there who will crash it or maybe do something dishonest.

Show me cash and hand over the driver-license and a test ride is ok.

At the track, it's a totally different deal if I've seen the guy ride, I'll go with my gut feeling at the time.

The only problem I've ever had was with a friend. I let him ride my week-old CR250R. He looped it in the first 5 feet on my flat, gravel driveway. Broke the fender, number plates, bent subframe, tore the seat, and bent the bars. I bought the parts to fix it and was never paid back. Some friend right?

That's what I did when I bought the bike...that's why I'm worried. haha. jk.

Actually, I'm not worried at all...as the initial post stated, I was just wondering if it's normal for people to buy a used bike without test riding it.

BTW, aside from the pink slip, what other mandatory paperwork needs to be filled out?

I printed up a bill of sale and a release of liability transfer form from the DMV website. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks guys. Man, I'm already getting cold feet....what the hell am I doing selling my baby?