Sign in to follow this  

Motor Rebuild Pics and questions (Lots of Pics)

I would never ever EVER run a crank that i dont 100% know is perfect. Either buy an afterarket or get ur OEM rebuilt would be my advice....

Thrust clearance is much more forgiving than rod end play. You need to have the piston on the rod and the jug on the case. Set an indicator on the dome at tdc and roll it back and forth at tdc. This will show you the dwell. If you are getting excessive dwell, its bearing slop and fix it time.

So much for just doing a top end. Here is what happens when I have time to mess with things while waiting for the 295 top end... its going to end up a frankenstein 01-02 in an 02 frame...

photo-13.jpg

gives me something to do, and greasing and replacing bearings is never a bad thing... hopefully I can have everything squared away by the time the cylinder gets back.

Thanks again for the help!

Thrust clearance is much more forgiving than rod end play. You need to have the piston on the rod and the jug on the case. Set an indicator on the dome at tdc and roll it back and forth at tdc. This will show you the dwell. If you are getting excessive dwell, its bearing slop and fix it time.

Good because I can measure "dwell" with a dial indicator but have no tools or instruments to measure "thrust" (side to side play). I did see one in a video, once, though.

i noticed my new topend kit for my 295 kit which is a wiseco was drilled like that, pardon my ignorance but what exactly does that do?

It in the area between the exhaust port and the power valve charging ports....That are also gets extremely hot and I have seen the area show stress and cracks. Even more so on the BB where that area gets even thinner.

Well here is the progress...

2002 frame with a title, I'm headed back to Cali this year for good so a title was in order.

2003 swingarm

2003 rear Master Cylinder

2001 motor and suspension

CR250 Front Master Cylinder

Eric Gorr 295 mid-top race gas

I have a few more things to get coming, but I'm just about ready to reassemble this thing. The swing arm from the 2003 doesn't bolt right up to the rear of the motor, and everything I had read on here made it seem like I could swap the collars... Maybe with a 2003 250, but not with a 2003 125. I had to have them milled out and put them back in, the cases had different ID holes

Painted the frame with Hammerite, we'll see how it holds up

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

in your photo of the head that was probably caused by the lower rod bearing coming apart. May have been on previous owner. If it we're me I'd split it apart and have the crank rebuilt and put new mains and seals in.

Been a while since an update. I had the bottom end checked out at a shop, and they told me to run it, so its going back in for now. Put the 295 top end on last night, and got the fork and swing arm bolted up.

Here is my issue, and maybe I'm missing something as I had been at it for too long and it was getting late, but the Cylinder head bracket doesn't line up. Was there a change in these brackets from 01' to 02'? The part numbers are the same albeit the prefix.

IMG_0643.jpg