Sign in to follow this  

Good Old Make over

Hello all

Im currently in the process of completely rebuilding my 2000 YZ250. its seen its better days and I let itgo wy to far.

One thing i do know forsure is im going to send my motor off to Eric Gorr for the big 295 kit. I hear tons of good awsome things about the kit and what that guy can do. Im also going to be sending both shock and forks off to factory connections and hopfully it is going to be worth it. not really sure what to expect. Also im kind of wondering on a new clutch system what do you guys think for what i should do with that and also what exhasut should I go with with the big bore kit. And another thing what reeds should i go with i already have boyesen reeds and there a little worn should i go with vforce3's.

Im thinking of the boyesen cooling system as well not sure its worth it but tell me what you think is a better choice or a whole differnt choice.

I highly apprecaite everything anybody says.

I will go ahead and say this. Unless your bike is in like new condition (no rusted bolts, no leaking seals, no rusting frame, all the bearings are good) I would not spend your money on that bike. In my opinion it sounds like you are about to dish about about $1500 for that bike. I would personally sell yours for $1000-$1500 depending on the condition and then buy a really nice 2005 or newer 250 two-stroke.

I've had a 2001 and I've worked on several other older bikes in that range and me personally would rather have something new than something all fixed up. There is no getting rid of age unless you dump a TON of money into it, OR unless your bike is in like new condition already.

However, the motor and suspension mods sound good. They will definitely help and your suspension probably needs to be serviced, which in itself will make a big difference. As far as the clutch I would just got with a new OEM basket on eBay and some Tusk clutch plates. Maybe pick up a new OEM outer hub on eBay too, OR an aftermarket brand if it's new and in the same price range.

As far as pipe and reeds. None of them are better than the others. There only job is to change the power delivery to your liking, and often times increase the power in certain spots. You will have to search on here to see what reeds and what pipes to what to the power.

I would not bother with a cooling system personally. But like I mentioned before, I don't think it's a wise use of money if it's going to costs what I think it will. All of my "bike age opinions" are based on assuming a good amount of use on the bike. But another thing to consider is the water pump shaft wears out, the powervalve shaft wears out, and you don't know what kind of condition the transmission or crankshaft is in either. And those are thing's from my experience only.

I did a total resto on a 1999. I only took it on because I had an injury and needed a time passer. I have since sold my new bikes and LOVE my old bike. It's kinda fun to hand it to your buds then refer to your bike as "vintage".....lol. for a enduro bike, the steel frame works great for me.