xc300 vs exc380

there are two bikes in my area for sale and i dont know which one to get. I want to take it on trails and to a motorcross track every so often. Im scared that the exc380 is too old and hard to find parts but im not sure on it. Which one would be a better fit.

Well you concern about getting parts for the 380 may have some merit in a few more years but I don't think it's an issue now. That said though, the XC has a much better chasis as well as significantly better suspension and tranny for MX use. The only thing the 380 has is some extra power, but really it's not all that needed........

Dito what Wrfrk said. The crank is the big hitter with the 380 at $1K OEM. You can still find pipes new for them for now. Of the same era bike the 250, 300, and 380 are almost the same bike. The major differences being crank, cylinder, head, pipe, and CDI. However the bottom end (beside the crank) is all the same. I've owned five 380's and the EXC tranny was my least favorite. The added bark of the 380 is nice, very nice. Between a 300 XC and a 380 EXC I would lean to the 300 XC. Also, what year 380 EXC? There were significant changes from 98 to 99 to the 200 thru 2002 models. The 98 380 is a hard bike to kick over because it did not have a compression release in the cylinder.

Joe..........

A 99 380 EXC did come with a speedo I think. 99 was a funky year. That was the first year of the hydraulic clutch. The bad part is the cases were a hybrid of the old cable style and the newer 2000+. The largest stator you can stuff in there is a 2k2. No big deal if you have no desire to run big lights. Also, 99 was the last year of the 50mm forks, some love them and some hate them. If it was me I would skip the 99 anything for a newer bike.

Joe........

Edited by JoeMcLaughlin

Don't be hating on the 50mm conventionals, they're better forks than the 43s used from 00-02 set up correctly.

haha I thought that might get some attention;) I tried the 50mm forks for a little while and went back to the 43mm. Then tried a set of 48mm forks off a 2002 125 SX. In the end I went back to the 43mm forks on my primary 380, they just worked the best as they were. A buddy of mine is in love with those 50mm forks and swears by them. I ended up selling two sets of 50mm forks to that same buddy. Sadly the 50mm forks limit you to the older hubs. If one really wanted to you could put the 50mm forks on a newer bike, just swap the triple trees.

Joe.......