Sign in to follow this  

Sitting or Standing for Racing in the Woods?

No, I disagree with you

ok.. can't disagree with that response. But "watch" more race coverage and get back to us. In sept. when the season starts again i will try to get some helmet cam footage of the "A" class (from the actual race course riding with the guys) and we can discuss some more :banghead:

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

ok.. can't disagree with that response. But "watch" more race coverage and get back to us. In sept. when the season starts again i will try to get some helmet cam footage of the "A" class (from the actual race course riding with the guys) and we can discuss some more :banghead:

I dont believe hemet cam footage, video's or responses from pro riders (such as Dwight on here) or A class guys such as yourself will make a difference. Some folks dont want to be confused with the facts. Why am I still responding to this thread!!! GGRRRR!

• Like 1

i'm clearly doin it wrong.. sitting about 70% of the time :banghead:

Edited by MELK-MAN

I stand most of the time its all personal preference if your fast doing either/or theres no wrong way

Sit when you can, Stand when you have to. Conserve energy.

Ridden with Dwight many a time and he does just that.lol esp. the first and last part.

I raced NCHSA Denver a couple weeks ago and Paul Whibley was there racing morning race. I saw him sitting more than standing and believe me, he was plenty fast either way. Amazing.......

I just sit mostly in the slow twisty stuff and when it opens up and gets choppy ill stand, been off hte bike for a while though. A few of the guys i race with are good riders and set more than most would expet as i do too.

Edited by markit

I raced NCHSA Denver a couple weeks ago and Paul Whibley was there racing morning race. I saw him sitting more than standing and believe me, he was plenty fast either way. Amazing.......

But it is impossible to make people understand that this is often the way to go for offroad riding/racing.. you can bash em on the head with facts, video, hard evidence! but they still won't believe you.

Hard enduro - Romaniacs 2012 - they sit a lot of time. It's a 4 days endurance race.

camera does not capture the real steepness of this climbs.

Edited by dmikel

THis thread has gone from interesting, to frustrating, to absolutely ridiculous...

There are certain situations riding or racing offload where you cannot sit and be even remotely fast, smooth, or relaxed. There are certain situations on smoothish ground where you can sit comfortably. In very tough terrain combining sitting and standing is critical, especially when it gets "trialsesque." Using your body to control the bike is everything and that means moving, a lot - you cannot do this with your butt stapled to the seat for an entire ride.

Sitting does not necessisarily conserve energy... Particularly in a long race. The more you sit the more your upper body is worked, particularly in rough situations like rooty/rocky trail, or in whooped out sections. It's about using both techniques to ride faster, smoother, and more efficiently. This is not about being in one camp or the other - utter nonsense.

We ride both trials bikes and the big bikes, and on some very rough and nasty ground with tough climbs and very technical sections, there are situations on the Ktm where I am up and down like a yo yo depending on what I am trying to do, and how fast I am trying to do it. In either case using the bike and terrain to ease the effort with bumps helping me stand and save my legs for example. In the HS races I am probably standing 90% of the time, sitting in some bermed corners that are smooth when I can or in straight sections of which there are few in our series. Difficult to clear large logs, basket ball sized rocky stream beds, and root balls with any grace, speed, or efficiency while sitting.... Imagine?

I see some of the HS videos posted on here and in terrain that is that friendly looking, open, and soft, I would probably sit a bit more too, but in rough terrain at speed it is just not an option. We race on occasion with a top five EnduroX and GNCC guy - super fast and smooth, and I can tell you he stands most of the time and sits when he can or when it makes sense to get through a corner faster. Given the rate of knots he passes me at, I think Im happy to emulate him.

For all you preaching sitting more than standing, buy a trials bike and learn to ride it well. Then go ride some really rough stuff on the big bike, you will be in for a very pleasant surprise.

For all you preaching standing 100% of the time, ride faster, attack corners and tough climbs, you will see there are moments when sitting works beautifully.

Just my humble opinion of course.

I don't think anyone was "preaching" to sit more than to stand.. simply to sit when you can, and with all due respect, if sitting wasn't easier than standing, there would be no chairs at a dinner table, or at a desk for work, nor would a dirt bike (or any bike) have a seat on it (ok, that last bit was silly, sorry).

MOST of us understand you have to stand much of the time, i'm not throwing a % of the time out there. The issue SOME of us have is that SOME of the posters in this thread (and the one that have come before this one on exactly the same topic that end up just as rediculous) can not understand that you should/can SOMETIMES sit.. and that sitting AT TIMES is the BETTER/FASTER/EASIER way through a particular section.

Edited by MELK-MAN

For all you preaching sitting more than standing, buy a trials bike and learn to ride it well. Then go ride some really rough stuff on the big bike, you will be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Oh, you are sooo gonna get it.

Right, but who on here is asking anything about riding a trials bike?

Off-road is; Enduro, WORCS, Harescrambles, motocross... everything you do with a regular standard off-road bike.

Trials bikes are ridden like BMX and down hill MTB. Totally different riding style.

Troy341

It really is a matter of terrain. Ride the Woodworth and North loops at the Kisatchie NF and they are smooth flowing trails and they are super fast and you can build up a lot of speed sitting. At my home trails at the Sam Houston NF or Skull Creek lots of tight, trails, roots, sand and wherever there is a straight shot you usually gets lots of whoops the whole way, you just don't get many places where it is comfortable to sit...so it is faster to stand. So there is no one right answer except the general one that has been given in this thread...sit when you can stand when you have to in any combination that suits your ability and style!

Thanks Troy,

But I think the post you quoted is, well, limited in perspective... People like that need to get out more, maybe somebody should point of the backgrounds of such "off-road" BMX'ers like Taddy, Graham Jarvis, Dougie, and Johnny Walker... Among many others. :devil:

I think I'll be ok, but thanks for the head's up!

i'm clearly doin it wrong.. sitting about 70% of the time :banghead:

Oh my goodness, you are terrible, it's probably because you are sitting...did you know that when you sit, your bike actually loses power?

Sarcasm of course, youre really after it in that video :devil: , I wish I was that good :ride:

Big Buck GNCC was on the tube this afternoon. With the disclaimer up front about limited camera shots not showing the whole trail blahblahblah...XC1 dudes were sitting more than half the time.

• Like 1

Big Buck GNCC was on the tube this afternoon. With the disclaimer up front about limited camera shots not showing the whole trail blahblahblah...XC1 dudes were sitting more than half the time.

it's just funny that many of us see the GNCC coverage on "RacerTV", can be there at the races watching these guys, be ON COURSE racing with fast guys in harescrambles and eduros, and yet these threads come up every few months. And it never fails, there are always those that say "I stand all the time, and no way do pro's sit".. you can show them proof that is just not the case, and that they actually sit during the 2-3 hr events more than you would think, but you can't make em believe.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Hey this threads back!

Ok goonsquad, do not start changing your riding style fo sake of standing more... standing 80% of time is ridiculous. Riding is an extremely dynamic sport meaning your body positioning and movements are never really exactly duplicated as you go through different parts of a track and riding technique is adjusted to whatever terrain your on. Sitting DOES NOT mean putting all your weight on your ass and just lugging though the trail like a jackass... You need to be in a position so you can immedility react to any unsusspecting jolts or slips the bike constanly experinces; you need to be able to quickly shift your position with as littlle effort as possible. I find I am in a better position with me butt on the seat and close to the bike, upper body and legs engage ready to react. Now standing may put you in slightly better position, but in 2 hr race its just stupid to stand whenever possible.

Summary: ride to be fast/ do not stand for the sake of standing.

Now for dirtbike fitness, you need to be focusing on stability/balance and strength. Nearly all your excersizes should include a stability ball, bosu ball, or a TRX. You should be doing high entensity circuit training (the hardest kind) and focus on lateral core strength. Do excersizes the work each side of the body indepently forcing you stabilize during the movement (strengthens your ability to controll the bike when your in a arkward position and not squared up). 8-12 reps upper body / lower body / core will not get you very far. Running/biking is great for cardio endurance... I prefer biking.

Edited by 2strokezuke
  • Like 2

i'm clearly doin it wrong.. sitting about 70% of the time :)

C'mon stand up lazy! Haha, J/K I think if you tried to stand you would get quickly clothes lined!

I personally stand more than I sit, even in races. Just my preference, but I only weigh 125lbs so its not like gravity is too hard on me.

On another note I have a friend who sits a lot and its amazing how fast he is, do what works for you.

Obviously you would want to stand in really rough sections to use your legs as extra suspension, but to each their own. I just know I havent been passed by somebody sitting down yet when I was standing, but that doesnt really matter in this case. I am sure there are people who can!

Edited by DIESEL Power ATK