Sign in to follow this  

Sitting or Standing for Racing in the Woods?

So much arguing.

I'm going to go take a dump. Should I sit? Should I stand? Which is faster? Should I conserve energy? Attack the bowl or just chill and let it happen? Damn...I thought I knew but now even the most basic stuff is perplexing now.

Maybe some vides of pros using the can would help me to decide.

• Like 5

So much arguing.

I'm going to go take a dump. Should I sit? Should I stand? Which is faster? Should I conserve energy? Attack the bowl or just chill and let it happen? Damn...I thought I knew but now even the most basic stuff is perplexing now.

best post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much arguing.

sit when you can, stand when you have to... Like if its in a porter john or something

I can't believe this thread is still going!!!! I posted it over a year ago, back in march of 2012 lol. Looks like it turned out to be a big bitch fest. Typical thread on a dirtbike forum. Geez. I sit when I need to and stand when I have to, period. Flame on!!!

• Like 2

Did a real mudder hare scramble on Sunday and had to sit most of the time. Didnt like that, I'm normally about 60% sit and rest stand. By the way, I suck riding in the mud.....

i'm clearly doin it wrong.. sitting about 70% of the time :banghead:

Dude...Is that all you got???? Get up on the pegs, use Rotella T-6, and get a 2 stroke!!! :naughty: Just fanning the flames :p , I'm with you, sit when you can, stand when you have to. I'm 52 and have done 100 mile desert races I sit where I can just to make it to the end of the race and still be able to drive home so I can got to work the next day.

Edited by Rider 41
  • Like 1

I think it is easier for smaller riders to stand compared to a larger rider with longer legs and arms. The same is true with pushups, bench presses or any physical activity. Shorter arms and legs allow the muscles to have more mechanical advantage due to leverage. The ergonomics of a dirt bike are such that a bigger guy is in a much more awkward position while standing compared to a rider with a smaller frame.

My point is that what works best for one person will not always work best for another. There is allot more to the mechanics of riding than what can be covered by simple blanket statements such as "you will be faster if you stand".

The largest factor I know of when it comes to going fast is confidence. If a rider is not confident while standing in certain situations, they WILL NOT be faster. The fastest pro riders are not consumed with the idea that they must ride like somebody else. They are fast because they have found what works for them and are very confident about it. Confidence is speed...period.

• Like 1

I stand a lot when riding...and try to push myself to stand even more. But that is more as a "conditioning/fitness" approach....so that when I do a long ride or the odd race, I'll have the stamina to stand when I need and/or want to without having to worry about my body giving out too soon.

I do agree with KDiXer...do what works for you. There is no "righteous right way", even though some here may preach otherwise. :ride:

I've seen alot or debating about this and been told both ways are better. I was hoping once and for all we can come up with a solid answer as to which is the better way to practice/race and why. I watch alot of races and I see the top guys doing both, but we all know we only get to see 5 min clips of GNCC's online so its hard to make an assumption. In the hare scrambles I've done I 've always noticed the A B riders come flying by standing up and hitting berms all the way down the trail standing up, but is this the way they ride the whole race? Some body help me become a better rider and let me know why I'm doing the right way!!
well i do both. I sit and stand just what i feel like doing. Unlike most people i feel that i can go faster sitting down it some spot. Also you have rode with sean dillon right? Im pretty sure he sits and stand just depending on what the place is like.

Stay up as much as possible and squeeze with your knees thats what holds the bike under you no matter what kind of riding your doing

I did not read all the responses but I know a AMA district 14 enduro champion and he always told me to sit where you can and stand when you have to. It conserves energy this way that may be needed further down the coarse.

• Like 1

I did not read all the responses but I know a AMA district 14 enduro champion and he always told me to sit where you can and stand when you have to. It conserves energy this way that may be needed further down the coarse

this is what most people with sense and experience posted..  there were a few that can't figured out why dirt bikes come with seats, naturally, but they just didn't know any better.

• Like 1

Stay up as much as possible and squeeze with your knees thats what holds the bike under you no matter what kind of riding your doing

If you do that in my neck of the woods you will get your melon knocked off!! Just saying.

I've seen alot or debating about this and been told both ways are better. I was hoping once and for all we can come up with a solid answer as to which is the better way to practice/race and why. I watch alot of races and I see the top guys doing both, but we all know we only get to see 5 min clips of GNCC's online so its hard to make an assumption. In the hare scrambles I've done I 've always noticed the A B riders come flying by standing up and hitting berms all the way down the trail standing up, but is this the way they ride the whole race? Some body help me become a better rider and let me know why I'm doing the right way!!

stand up as much as possible. It helps a lot. Standing up will put your weight on the pegs allowing your suspension to work better and allowing the bike to move underneath you without throwing you all over in the rough stuff. Just my opinion though.
  • Like 1

The Pro MX riders almost always sit in the corners, then stand in the fast sections. I think this transfers to woods riding too. When standing in the woods in corners, when your front end washes out it is really ugly as you fall farther, the proper technique better be good.

Let's put it this way, if you can't drive to Colorado this is the next best thing! Obviously the scenary is not the same, nor is the elevation, BUT it is VERY challenging. The riding is every bit as demanding, probably more in some cases, as Colorado. If you ride hard at all 5 hours of it will kick your a$$ and 2 days of it will have you calling in sick on Monday. http://www.thumpertalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif The area is not HUGE, as in it doesn't really take you way back in the country. It's a LARGE loop of sorts with countless trails inbetween. The outer loop roads are wider & faster and okay for ATV's, the inner trails are narrower and VERY challenging, but still doable on an ATV if the rider has the ability. And then there is some single track, but not a ton. In two days you might, MIGHT be able to ride 80% of it, if you rode hard. The area is extremely rugged & rocky. Step-up ledges are in every climb. Don't bring your new tires here, you'll leave most of the knobs there. I was just there a few weeks ago...fun fun FUN! Makes trail riding around KC a complete bore.

Let me know if you decide to go and I'll hook you up with a good map of the area.

wrong very wrong. First of all, its rider preferance. Secondly its rider preferance. But I will say this.. sitting down too much will fatigue you quickly. Sitting causes you to set up late for a sudden weight shift. Sitting doesn't allow you to attack the track or trail. Sitting doeant allow you to keep front end light MOST TIMES, and sitting causes rear end to kick you in the @ss , which leaves a symptom called chap @$$ or monkey butt.
  • Like 1

Sit when you can, Stand when you have to. Conserve energy.

This, DR knows of what he speaks. Conditions always dictate the solution.

I used to hang out with Ivan tedesco, Justin bucklew, Keith Johnson, Kevin Johnson, and Isaiah Johnson a lot when I was racing nationals for the atva. They always told me that standing allows you to always be ready for whatever comes your way and riding on balls of your feet Allows your ankles, knees, hips to act as additional absorption. Finally, it allows you to point toes in and pinch bike when hammering through sand, whoops, rollers, rutted straights, or nasty mud. Don't forget to keep your elbows up either.. and always look ahead