Sign in to follow this  

Cornering Technique

Im practicing my cornering at the moment in ruts and sandy berms and berms in general. I have some pictures to show my technique, I know I need to look through the corner more and keep my elbows up but what else can you guys see. Im going back out tomorrow and am reading up on how to improve. Any help is appreciated.

Im riding an 00 yz144 and an 05 yz250.

553128_398277940183509_100000039184531_1544670_1467784788_n.jpg546817_398276480183655_1402456349_n.jpg

563109_398276010183702_100000039184531_1544657_271134072_n.jpg550106_398275470183756_100000039184531_1544652_1622352846_n.jpg405352_398272083517428_100000039184531_1544629_1683351981_n.jpg

Edited by LazyWaffleman

Im practicing my cornering at the moment in ruts and sandy berms and berms in general. I have some pictures to show my technique, I know I need to look through the corner more and keep my elbows up but what else can you guys see. Im going back out tomorrow and am reading up on how to improve. Any help is appreciated.

You've gotta trust the berm and learn how to go in with a lot more speed and try to stay on the throttle through it. Sitting down in sand is just wasting energy and slowing down. When I go through sand corners like that, I stand up as much as possible, only sitting on the exit. Railing a sand berm, especially on a 2 stroke, is the only way to go. Once you let the sand grab you and slow you down, its all over for your momentum and you'll be playing never-ending catch-up!

Here is my local home-town hero (I'm originally from pretty close to where he grew up) Jimmy Decotis showing ya how its done. The first part is 4 stroke, the last part is 2 stroke. Pay very close attention to how he enters standing, leans the bike to the angle of the berm and keeps on the throttle. Practice this technique in the sand and even if you crash or go over the berm the first few times, its critical to learn it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i love MX207! Have you been there yet this season tye1138? i was there for the season opener. 2 weekends ago couldnt make it this weekend though it about 3 hours away from me lol I race MMS, do you race around at hemonds too?

i love MX207! Have you been there yet this season tye1138? i was there for the season opener. 2 weekends ago couldnt make it this weekend though it about 3 hours away from me lol I race MMS, do you race around at hemonds too?

I actually live in California now, sadly haven't ridden MX in NE yet. Maybe in the next few years I'll head back east for a few months and ride my home tracks! I have been to a few MX races on the east coast as a spectator, but haven't ridden. :thumbsup:

I really can't wait to ride southwick and the cape cod rovers track looks like fun. Haven't been north of MA yet, I tried on my last visit, but we got hung up and missed the race! DAMN! :thumbsup:

I only know Jimmy D because I saw him practice when I was back home last summer and he still practices on a 125 a lot and its great to watch a young 4 stroke professional ride a lil 2 stroke.

Edited by tye1138

yea ive seen him ride around to, weve been to the same races but he was in the A class obviously and i am in the C class lol. Hes o fast and geat to watch.

Tye if you're up in the northeast you need to check out Crow hill mx in MA. Decotis is there a decent amount, thats actually where the "marshall" footage is from I believe. The track is pretty fun. Watched him pull the hole shot at unadilla he cranks.

Tye if you're up in the northeast you need to check out Crow hill mx in MA. Decotis is there a decent amount, thats actually where the "marshall" footage is from I believe. The track is pretty fun. Watched him pull the hole shot at unadilla he cranks.

Sweet! If I'm there with my bike, I will for sure let you guys know! We can all hang out, that would be awesome! :thumbsup:

I've seen several of his videos & this guy just amazes me with his riding. Being an old slow vet it also frustrates me. But anyways I'm going to keep following this thead 'cause cornering is my biggest obstacle to keep momentum around the track.

when i corner i always have trouble scooting up front on the tank and sticking my foot out. i always try to lean the bike, and keep my body in the same position, and every time i do it i notice it but its always to late. I always loose my balance when i do that. ive been working on it i just cant mentally remember too lol. when i do corner correctly i can def feel the difference and seem sooo much faster! lol

Sweet! If I'm there with my bike, I will for sure let you guys know! We can all hang out, that would be awesome! :thumbsup:

That's my local track, too. Practicing with DeCotis and Marshall on track is always fun. Those guys RIP! The Dowds show up from time to time as well. Southwick is a serious classic. It's HUGE. There's a stupid fun event there on memorial day. www.stimilon.com (stimilon challenge)

when i corner i always have trouble scooting up front on the tank and sticking my foot out. i always try to lean the bike, and keep my body in the same position, and every time i do it i notice it but its always to late. I always loose my balance when i do that. ive been working on it i just cant mentally remember too lol. when i do corner correctly i can def feel the difference and seem sooo much faster! lol

We are totally hijacking this poor fella's thread! LOL

So I had the same problem, I didn't know what to do. So I just watched some Professional MX and noticed SOME riders did this funny thing when they entered a corner. They would kinda keep their butt off the seat in an attack position going in. Then they would bring all their weight forward and sit down/stick their foot out, ALL in one motion. I was like, WOW thats exactly how you need to do that, makes perfect sense! So I practiced, and practiced, and practiced this lil maneuver and all of a sudden, its totally automatic now. Whenever I come into a corner, I'm usually off the seat in this funny little butt out position, then I sit down right down on the front of the seat, stick my leg out and throttle through the corner.

So last night I was watching the Houston Supercross race and the first heat with Poto and Brayton. Watch Brayton go into those bowl corners, he does the same trick. He's hovering over the seat with is butt back, then in one move, he moves his body forward, down and gets his leg prepared to stick out. Its funny to watch poto because he just sits anytime he wants and doesn't do anything like what Brayton does, but that is the technique and you can watch it now! LOL :thumbsup:

Ohh and for the OP, this is not how you take sand corners. Watch the Jimmy D video, thats exactly how you deal with sand, PINNED!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by tye1138

We are totally hijacking this poor fella's thread! LOL

So I had the same problem, I didn't know what to do. So I just watched some Professional MX and noticed SOME riders did this funny thing when they entered a corner. They would kinda keep their butt off the seat in an attack position going in. Then they would bring all their weight forward and sit down/stick their foot out, ALL in one motion. I was like, WOW thats exactly how you need to do that, makes perfect sense! So I practiced, and practiced, and practiced this lil maneuver and all of a sudden, its totally automatic now. Whenever I come into a corner, I'm usually off the seat in this funny little butt out position, then I sit down right down on the front of the seat, stick my leg out and throttle through the corner.

So last night I was watching the Houston Supercross race and the first heat with Poto and Brayton. Watch Brayton go into those bowl corners, he does the same trick. He's hovering over the seat with is butt back, then in one move, he moves his body forward, down and gets his leg prepared to stick out. Its funny to watch poto because he just sits anytime he wants and doesn't do anything like what Brayton does, but that is the technique and you can watch it now! LOL :thumbsup:

Ohh and for the OP, this is not how you take sand corners. Watch the Jimmy D video, thats exactly how you deal with sand, PINNED!!!! :thumbsup:

LOL thank you! and sorry for to the OP lol

Thanks Tye for the explanation. Being a visual learner I'm going to read your descripton a few times & try to visualize it.

Watch the heat race, watch Brayton when he takes the wide line in the bowl corners. He is off the seat, until about mid corner, then he sits forward on the seat, just as he makes the corner. Here is a link to the video of the heat race with some excellent shots in the first 2 laps of this in action. Minute 2:04 - 2:10, thats a perfect look at the maneuver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0-sFqiqIM

Edited by tye1138

Thanks a lot Tye!. I see what you are saying.

That technique was eye opening for me. If everyone who rides motocross could master that technique, they would all go quicker! :thumbsup:

That technique was eye opening for me. If everyone who rides motocross could master that technique, they would all go quicker! :thumbsup:

your video doesnt work, any other examples you could bring forth?

I dont mind the thread jackage, better than being a dead thread :thumbsup:

your video doesnt work, any other examples you could bring forth?

I dont mind the thread jackage, better than being a dead thread :thumbsup:

Gotta have flash installed on your computer to watch youtube videos that are embedded on web sites.

Here is a direct link to the youtube site where the video exists: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=nm0-sFqiqIM

Edited by tye1138