Sign in to follow this  

So the thing I hate most about my piglet is...

In the last two weeks, I've ran out of gas twice! Unlike other bikes I've had in the past which spit and sputter when they're about to run out, my pig just immediately dies out. I've never seen anything like it. I keep thinking 'OH HELL, NOT MY CDI!'

I need a bigger tank. I've got a stock 2.7 gallon, and luckily both times, reserve has gotten me to a station, but I imagine there's only a matter of time when I'm not going to make it. I've determined that I get around 72 miles a tank, not including reserve. I really like having the shrouds to help keep my bike cool, however I don't think there's any aftermarket tanks that allow use of the shrouds are there?

Edited by malignity

Do you ride it like you stole it or take it easyish? the difference i get on my XR600R 1992 can be from 100km or 60miles a tank to 150km about 95 a tank depending on how i ride. saying that i my YAM XT6OO 2KF would give me about 50% moe than that and i rode it just as hard and that had dual carbs!

• Like 1

x2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

yeah I think the xr600 slide carb is more prone to varying mpg than the xrl carb

If im riding the bike like I stole it, and even worse Like i stole it and decide to ride knarly rocky 1st gear singeltrack Id hate to see how far I get on a stock tank...

having said this its too damn hard not to control the throttle...

it not a old commuter sedan

why have the HP if you goint to go to the grocery store with it?

anywhoo

My "average" on the xr is just over 35mpg...

My xr250l tank which is 2.5 or so galons give me a steady 70miles before reserve....

Edited by elsalvadorklr

I believe the Clark 4.0 gallons and up gas tanks still catch the air like the stock shrouds just not as much. I have the stock tank without the shrouds and the bike doesn't run much hotter than it did before with them and in the slow stuff the shouds won't do anything anyway so i dont see it being an issue. I was getting 44 mpg with 55/158 jetting, but now i'm getting around 39 mpg with 58/158 jetting. You will be happy with the bigger tank for that extra mileage.

Get the Clarke 4.7

Very good tank, but dont worry about the air flow. It will not make much of a difference at all, Install the XR's only Oil temp gauge and note the baseline with the

current tank, Observe any difference that may occur with the new Clark. Odds are there will be none to speak of. If there is, install and Oil cooler abd run full sythetic oil.

The acerbis holds 5.8 gallons and has a scoop like front, it also has dual petcocks. One on each side, so no tipping the bike to get the fuel to the left side. The great thing is that you don't HAVE to fill it full, but once it is full, you should be able to get 200+ miles off road and 250+ on the pavement.

Down side is that it is a bugger to get it mounted the first time. Once it's been on there a while, it just slides back into place. The other down side is that the hoses and Y connector that come with it are crap. It's best to upgrade to a brass T connector and buy some quality fuel line for no future hassles.

I really like having the shrouds to help keep my bike cool, however I don't think there's any aftermarket tanks that allow use of the shrouds are there?

Buy or make a temp dip stick. I added shrouds I made out of plastic to my 4gal IMS tank and saw my temps go from 250 deg and above (on the highway without them) to 200-220, and on the trail she lives between 180-200 deg. The shrouds do cool the motor and oil. A oil cooler does work also, but the home made plastic shrouds work almost as good and are a lot cheaper and easier to install. Honda didn't spend the money to add those big wings for nothing, certainly not for looks. Almost everybody , runs the bigger tanks without the shrouds and have had no problems, but the 250+ deg bothered me. I've since added a couple more inches to the shrouds, wings in the pics, I remove the extra 2 inches when the outside temps are in the 60's or it never gets above 170 deg.

http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

Edited by zx12r

One thing I did notice was that with my shrouds (and left side cover off) my max speed increased dramatically (13mph more). Right now, part of the issue I'm having with my piggy is that it barely goes highway speeds with stock gearing. I attribute a bit of this to my Kenda 760's, which are new and not balanced, however I did notice that I was able to push more without all that wind sucking. I'm actually in the process of looking into making a temp dipstick like you mentioned. There's a specific post I'm looking for that gives me the dimension of the bolt I need, and had pictures, etc so I don't have to destroy the stock dipstick.

From what I understand too, though the shrouds do work well, part of the reason they added them actually WAS for looks; to make the air cooled bike look more like the modern liquid cooled dirt bikes for marketing purposes. I'm not saying it's the only reason obviously, but some from what I remember reading when I was researching the bike before purchase. :thumbsup:

From what I understand too, though the shrouds do work well, part of the reason they added them actually WAS for looks; to make the air cooled bike look more like the modern liquid cooled dirt bikes for marketing purposes. I'm not saying it's the only reason obviously, but some from what I remember reading when I was researching the bike before purchase. :thumbsup:

If that was the case, for looks, why did they make them so BIG, WIDE. The liquid cooled bikes have small, good looking shrouds that barely stick out . The xr600r's didn't come with them but, they were not sold street legal and have to do sustained 70 mph speeds for hundreds of miles at a time , which is were you see the high engine temps (I know Baja, but your still on and off the throttle) . Why do you think that some xrl's, the exhaust valve seat pops out, too high heat.

• Like 1

xr600 run cooler big time...I think this is more due to the fact that the 650l is pushing more displacement and the culinder gets hotter, it has a dufferent carb and has more weight and smog stuff too...

xr600 right off the showroom floor dont get as hot as xrl's right off the showroom floor right?

having said this I finally bit the bullet and bought a oem replacement tank as I was overheating with my IMS 4 GALON on my 88xr600, onky when singeltracking though...

pics coming soon

xr600 run cooler big time...I think this is more due to the fact that the 650l is pushing more displacement and the culinder gets hotter, it has a dufferent carb and has more weight and smog stuff too...

xr600 right off the showroom floor dont get as hot as xrl's right off the showroom floor right?

having said this I finally bit the bullet and bought a oem replacement tank as I was overheating with my IMS 4 GALON on my 88xr600, onky when singeltracking though...

pics coming soon

I went to Hollister Hills SVRA on friday and did a lot of single track and i'll tell you what my 650L got hot, i mean really hot. the temp varied from 275f to 292f while i was riding but cooled down a bit when i hit the more wide open faster trails. Stock tank, no shrouds amd it was around 70 degrees out.

300 is the dump burnt oil and put some fresh good stuff and hope you are good to go mark huh? at least for me...

Ive never got to 300(i measure with a meat thermometer when the going gets nasty, I take a break and measure if I have breath! jajaja and the hottest was 270f for me)

now...it probably went above this while I was riding...

anyways...rich jetting helped me here before, but I couldnt stand the blubbery throttle response anywhere else...so....airflow and oil cooler eventually it is!

Edited by elsalvadorklr

An oil and filter change is deffinately in order along with some other routine maintenance.

• Like 1

case in point

I changed my oil about 2 months ago...right befiore a pseudo baja type race here(didnt go well, fell down many times and tweaked my front end even more and thats when I decided to go to usds)

anyway....new oil...but had a well used michelin t63 in the back...it was my mistake for sure, I could get no traction in 80% of the uphill terrain where the race was...

so major revving, clucth slipping just to get out of the places where I tipped over...

this was new oil...

all I did was come back to the house and dump the bike I was exhausted...I rode once after this race and the stored the bike again.

Did an oil change a few days ago...

and the smell of burnt oil was more than I had ever smelt before on my bike unless you factor in when I bought the bike in boxes and yes, it stank like sulfur burnt oil.

In any case new good oil lasted all of 1 race.

It just takes one good heat up or a good reev or a series of clutch slipping to really screw up your oil...

so again, good oil, fresh and frequent...but the rider more than anybody knows WHEN the oil has gone beyond its service life...

cheers