First time at silver lake, crf450r questions

HI, me and a few buddies will be going out to silver lake a few times this summer and it will be my first going so i have a few questions. I will obviously keep an eye on jetting and make sure im not melting pistons but i have some questions about tires. My tires are brand new dirt knobbies (dont know brand or kind) and some people told me theyd be fine but im sure a paddle will be way better. What tire would you recommend for the rear, ive read around and 8 sounds pretty typical for a 450. Anybody have any specific tire or size theyd recommend? Also will a front paddle tire help at all or will the knobby tire aired down be fine? what psi should i run the front, 10psi? stock gearing okay or should i get a new set of sprockets and chain? How much do they charge for the flag and mount bracket for a bike because i may just make my own. And also how much is it to get in with a bike aside from orv sticker. Any other advice you all can think of would be much appreciated. Cant wait to get out there! thanks in advance.

HI, me and a few buddies will be going out to silver lake a few times this summer and it will be my first going so i have a few questions. I will obviously keep an eye on jetting and make sure im not melting pistons but i have some questions about tires. My tires are brand new dirt knobbies (dont know brand or kind) and some people told me theyd be fine but im sure a paddle will be way better. What tire would you recommend for the rear, ive read around and 8 sounds pretty typical for a 450. Anybody have any specific tire or size theyd recommend? Also will a front paddle tire help at all or will the knobby tire aired down be fine? what psi should i run the front, 10psi? stock gearing okay or should i get a new set of sprockets and chain? How much do they charge for the flag and mount bracket for a bike because i may just make my own. And also how much is it to get in with a bike aside from orv sticker. Any other advice you all can think of would be much appreciated. Cant wait to get out there! thanks in advance.

Never heard of putting a paddle on the front. Not sure they make one that would fit. Don't waste your time looking. When I bought my skatrack paddle they recommended a 10 for the 450's. Know guys they have the 8 and like them. 10psi should be fine in the front. Never changed my gearing 450's have enough power. Believe the flags are around $20, mounts were about $8, and you will need a state park sticker. They may check for spark arrester rules say you have to have them.

If you have a fresh knobby youll do fine. But youll have more fun with a proper paddle tire on the back. 8 or 10 you cant go wrong. The more paddles, the bigger the wheelies will be....lol

As for the front just run your stock tire.

Oh and if you run a paddle remove your rear shock mud guard. The paddle will tear it up. or add a link to your chain so your tire has plenty of clearance near the swingarm/mud guard.

Edited by PumpkinHumper

ORV - $16.50 at Wal-Mart

Flag Mounts - $8

Flag - $20 - $30 (Depending on where you get it)

Stock knobbies will do fine in the sand, just be careful if you turn quickly in like 4th lol. I took my 04 CRF250R last year and I was keepin up with 450 quads. 10-12 psi in the tires are good too.

I suggest going to DAR (David Allen Racing) to get your flag and mounts, I personally think they are better than AppleTree, which is across the road.

I wouldn't bother buying a paddle for Silver Lake. Just drop down the PSI and you should be okay. My 4cyl Jeep Cherokee could climb everything there with low PSI and all terrain tires. In fact, I almost flipped it getting too cocky. ?

AFAIK, they don't make paddles for the front. You wouldn't want one anyway... have you ever ridden a paddle before in anywhere but in deep sand? You're chattering so much sometimes you can barely see straight. That's just with a rear. With a front, I don't know if the bike would even be capable of riding.

Edited by malignity