Sign in to follow this  

How different would a new 2t be from my '99 KX?

Just wondering, not in the market at the mo'. But say I were to ride my '99 KX250 back to back with a "new" Yamaha or 2012 KTM 250 - would they be worlds apart or just kinda different? What are the biggest differences I'd notice - weight, handling, suspension, power? Thanks for indulging me in this mental exercise. :thumbsup:

all of the above. i'v had the opportunity to ride an 02 cr250 vs my 09 yz250 and even those two are totally different. my 09 vibrates less, corners better, and the power is quite a bit easier to manage. however the cr was set up rather weird, and it is lighter than mine. but still, gong from a 99 to a new bike will be a huge improvement.

I believe a new KTM has 56 hp stock, piped and jetted? I would say so, plus 13 years of new technology ...

A new 250 sx only makes around 49 stock. Pipes don't really add power, they change the power characteristics.

It's going to be Night and Day

I went from my 90 TT Yammi 350 to a 04 400 XR Honda to a 09 FE 450 fuel injected Race bike with a rego plate Husaberg and I gotta say the improvements in EVERYTHING were unbelievable .

You could only dream to come close to a current bike with $1000's of worth porting , exhaust and suspension work .

Do yourself a favour turn to KX into a chook chaser and pony up for the new bike - Money well spent :thumbsup:

Not many specifics so far are there?

My experience is that outside of suspensions that have evolved for motocross or supercross, there isn't that much difference or improvement. The engines produce similar horsepower over the last two decades - the late nineties bikes were getting pretty smooth with the power valve designs and could always be tweaked with the right pipe/jetting combo. Braking is pretty much the same, but varies some from model to model. Off road suspensions are just a matter of tweaking also. I actually prefer the old open chamber design for off-road use - I can get them dialed in easier. I've owned and ridden many late model bikes, and I've come to the conclusion that for off-road use, the older bikes are every bit as good as the newer ones - you just need to modify them for your level of riding and terrain encountered. Let me put it this way, you can modify an older bike to perform off-road every bit as well as a new bike for one-half the price of a new one. MX is different at expert-pro levels, but for the other classes, money could be better spent on an older ride IMO.

• Like 2

Not many specifics so far are there?

My experience is that outside of suspensions that have evolved for motocross or supercross, there isn't that much difference or improvement. The engines produce similar horsepower over the last two decades - the late nineties bikes were getting pretty smooth with the power valve designs and could always be tweaked with the right pipe/jetting combo. Braking is pretty much the same, but varies some from model to model. Off road suspensions are just a matter of tweaking also. I actually prefer the old open chamber design for off-road use - I can get them dialed in easier. I've owned and ridden many late model bikes, and I've come to the conclusion that for off-road use, the older bikes are every bit as good as the newer ones - you just need to modify them for your level of riding and terrain encountered. Let me put it this way, you can modify an older bike to perform off-road every bit as well as a new bike for one-half the price of a new one. MX is different at expert-pro levels, but for the other classes, money could be better spent on an older ride IMO.

Thanks - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Seeing as I pretty much only recreationally ride these days, I think I'll stick with the old girl a little longer yet.

i had an 07 cr 125 and my cousin has a 99 kx 125. they were completely different in the way they handled, jumped and power on the cr was significantly better. However my cousin was always faster on his 99' than i was on my 07' thats where the true answer lies. ive also ridden my buddies 12' ktm 250xc while not a mx bike it still handled amazing, it really comes down to the rider though

Edited by lucahemi
  • Like 1

i had an 07 cr 125 and my cousin has a 99 kx 125. they were completely different in the way they handled, jumped and power on the cr was significantly better. However my cousin was always faster on his 99' than i was on my 07' thats where the true answer lies. ive also ridden my buddies 12' ktm 250xc while not a mx bike it still handled amazing, it really comes down to the rider though

Interesting... As far as handling, has the underlying geometry changed - rake, trail, etc or is it more subtle than that?

Interesting... As far as handling, has the underlying geometry changed - rake, trail, etc or is it more subtle than that?

yes the geometry is different the kx feels completely different than the cr and the xc felt different from the cr. the kx feels wider and heavier but more stable and sure footed, they are still 125's however so neither are heavy by any means. if you can get a hand on a newer 250 2t you can answer your own question!