Sign in to follow this  

XR650L: Spud’s Oil Cooler

I'm using Mobile Delvac, 15W/40, dinosaur oil.

Spud :thumbsup:

Edited by SpudRider
  • Like 1

ive used the rubber hoses for several years now with no problems. i didnt use 90's instead let the tubing loop. hose barbs hold good and shouldnt pose a leakage problem. i used a 3" high x 10" wide finned cooler that sits ontop of the fender below the headlite. there doesnt seem to be a lot of air flow past the fender so drilling or slotting will help cool the head to. the temp gage and sensor are a good idea too, although i think ill keep my eyes more on where im going.

garthr

Thanks for the input,Garth. :thumbsup: I like the TTO, digital temperature gauge. Reading the TTO gauge is easier than reading a speedometer. I only need to take a quick glance to read the oil temperature. :thumbsup:

Edited by SpudRider

Pretty nifty idea but with all those fittings you have way too many potential points of failure. Now that you have proven the concept it would be a good idea to go back and clean things up. Reduce your joints to the bare minimum; use bent tubing in as many places as possible with rubber hose to act as vibration isolators. It will clean up the look as well as reducing points where a leak could develop.

Just thinking out loud here. If the oil cooler was behind the number plate above the headlight; with vent holes in the number plate it would be out of the mud stream from the wheel (as well as things that could be kicked up by the tire). Probably couldn't have it higher than the filler hole though.

Thanks for the input, Rboe. :thumbsup: I'm confident I won't get any leaks. My 90-degree, brass elbows have 4 hose barbs on each end. :thumbsup:

Thinking out loud too.

If it was behind the number plate, the hot air would be pushed back on the rider.

Also, there should be no reason it couldn't be above the filler hole. The oil is pushed through the cooler by the pump and dumped back in the frame at the same point it was before the modification. However, the farther it is pushed, the greater the resistance, thus the greater chance for mayhem and extra stress on the pump.

twerpy.

I want to test if the front wheel will actually contact my oil cooler with full fork compression. I am considering lifting the front wheel, and removing the fork caps to fully compress the forks. However, it seems if I remove the fork caps, nothing will stop the fork tubes from compressing until the outer tube hits the lower part of the triple tree. Therefore, I'm not sure this test will give me the information I seek. If the fork cap remains screwed to the damping rod (as planned), will the damping rod still limit fork compression with the fork caps removed? :thumbsup:

Thinking out loud too.

If it was behind the number plate, the hot air would be pushed back on the rider.

Also, there should be no reason it couldn't be above the filler hole. The oil is pushed through the cooler by the pump and dumped back in the frame at the same point it was before the modification. However, the farther it is pushed, the greater the resistance, thus the greater chance for mayhem and extra stress on the pump.

twerpy.

Good idea; never considered hot backwash getting on the rider. It's hot enough in Phoenix without adding that heat.

Thanks for the clarification on the oil pumping.

Spud; confidence will not plug leaks. The more joints you have the more potential points of failure you have. Especially over time and components age. However; in your case this is not a huge issue; but if other folks that may want to adapt it, this is one area to look at to improve and save a wee bit of weight.

Heres another approach to the cooler issue. Sorry, dont know how to post so the pics are on Smugmug.

Just used a lincoln buzz box,, two simple welds and 1/4 in. thick steel from Home Depot. Piece of cake...

Also reinforced the subframe and remounted my Klopin. No shake ... Makes the bike more stable.

As far as the oil Temp. Hovers around 250 on the highway.

Spuddl, your a information respource for all of us, but that cooler hanging off the side wiggs me out.

Hope this helps: http://muddaholic.smugmug.com/Motorc...1996&k=64ZxKbQ

Also, the tubing is 3/8 aluminum I purchased at Ace Hardware.

• Like 1

Heres another approach to the cooler issue. Sorry, dont know how to post so the pics are on Smugmug. Just used a lincoln buzz box,, two simple welds and 1/4 in. thick steel from Home Depot. Piece of cake... Also reinforced the subframe and remounted my Klopin. No shake ... Makes the bike more stable. As far as the oil Temp. Hovers around 250 on the highway. Spuddl, your a information respource for all of us, but that cooler hanging off the side wiggs me out. Hope this helps: http://muddaholic.smugmug.com/Motorc...1996&k=64ZxKbQ Also, the tubing is 3/8 aluminum I purchased at Ace Hardware.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for sharing you oil cooler setup, Mudd. :thumbsup: However, I must ask, where is my oil cooler hanging off the side. :thumbsup:

maladandfenderlessrun033.jpg

Good idea; never considered hot backwash getting on the rider. It's hot enough in Phoenix without adding that heat.

Thanks for the clarification on the oil pumping.

Spud; confidence will not plug leaks. The more joints you have the more potential points of failure you have. Especially over time and components age. However; in your case this is not a huge issue; but if other folks that may want to adapt it, this is one area to look at to improve and save a wee bit of weight.

Indeed, confidence will not plug leaks, but 4 hose barbs per connection certainly will. :thumbsup:

Edited by SpudRider

Yesterday I decided to figure out how much the forks could compress before the front wheel impacted my oil cooler. I removed the front fender, placed my XR650L on a stand, and measured the free sag at 1-1/8 inches. Taking the bike off the stand, I measured the travel from the wheel to the bottom of the oil cooler at 9-1/2 inches.

maladandfenderlessrun024.jpg

Adding the free sag to the last measurement, I got a total wheel travel of 10-5/8 inches. Therefore, the wheel will impact my oil cooler in the last inch of travel. I'm convinced 10-5/8 inches of fork travel is sufficient for the way I ride my XR650L, so I have decided my oil cooler is positioned high enough. Incidentally, I raised my forks one inch when I installed my lowering link. Therefore, a stock bike would be able to accommodate maximum fork compression without striking my oil cooler. :lol:

Since the weather was nice, I rode my XR650L for 56 miles on the freeway, without the fender, to discover the highest level of cooling I could expect.

maladandfenderlessrun032.jpg

I maintained 75-80 mph the entire time, and passed a lot of automobiles along the way. My oil temperatures did not exceed 255 degrees; I am pleased with this result. Of course, once I exited the freeway, my oil temperatures quickly dropped to much lower levels. :thumbsup:

I am going to trim my front fender a bit more, to ensure the wheel will not impact the fender before it would impact the oil cooler. :doh: I will also drill a few more holes in the fender, and test to discover if the drilled fender allows cooling similar to a fenderless setup. If the cooling is significantly less with my drilled fender, I will cut a large hole in the fender and install some aluminum hardware cloth. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for sharing you oil cooler setup, Mudd. :thumbsup: However, I must ask, where is my oil cooler hanging off the side. :thumbsup:

Ahh.. I see. It was the picture that and my perception. It looked like it was off much more then above picture. That said,whne I first set my Oil Cooler up, It became apparent that I had to be almost " fanatic " about tucking the lines in. The various approaches such as mounting on the stator side case - lower down will definaitly cost someone - big time.

Respectfully amigo, I would consider figuring a way to tuck those line on to a vertical mount as this lessens the chance catching of the oil line / lines on a branch or rock if you do happen to go down. Hopefully that will never be an issue bro, but in Idaho / Oregon, some of the place we ride are " Out-there" . Either way, dood luck man.....

Heres another approach to the cooler issue. Sorry, dont know how to post so the pics are on Smugmug.

Just used a lincoln buzz box,, two simple welds and 1/4 in. thick steel from Home Depot. Piece of cake...

Also reinforced the subframe and remounted my Klopin. No shake ... Makes the bike more stable.

As far as the oil Temp. Hovers around 250 on the highway.

Spuddl, your a information respource for all of us, but that cooler hanging off the side wiggs me out.

Hope this helps: http://muddaholic.smugmug.com/Motorc...1996&k=64ZxKbQ

Also, the tubing is 3/8 aluminum I purchased at Ace Hardware.

I like the look of your setup. What did you source for the actual cooler itself? Where did you get it? Thanks!

I like the look of your setup. What did you source for the actual cooler itself? Where did you get it? Thanks!

Follow the link in post #1 of this thread. :thumbsup:

Ahh.. I see. It was the picture that and my perception. It looked like it was off much more then above picture. That said,whne I first set my Oil Cooler up, It became apparent that I had to be almost " fanatic " about tucking the lines in. The various approaches such as mounting on the stator side case - lower down will definaitly cost someone - big time.

Respectfully amigo, I would consider figuring a way to tuck those line on to a vertical mount as this lessens the chance catching of the oil line / lines on a branch or rock if you do happen to go down. Hopefully that will never be an issue bro, but in Idaho / Oregon, some of the place we ride are " Out-there" . Either way, dood luck man.....

Thanks for sharing your oil cooler setup, and thanks for the good input, Mudd. :thumbsup: I will definitely look for ways to improve my setup, including hard lines, and tucking the oil lines farther in, if possible. :thumbsup:

After finding the highest oil temperature my bike sustained without a front fender, I decided today to test a drilled fender. I drilled as many holes as I could, while still trying to maintain the structural integrity of the fender.

Fendertestride002.jpg

After mounting this fender, I actually removed it, and drilled more holes on the outside edges. :lol: Then I went for a ride on the freeway. Riding at 75-80 mph for about 30 miles, my oil temperature reached a high of 279 degrees. :thumbsup: This oil temperature was 24 degrees higher than the 255 degrees I observed riding under similar conditions without a front fender, and I consider it unacceptable.

If I didn't fully understand before, I certainly understand now. Maximum airflow is the key to keeping oil temperatures lowest. Althought the drilled fender looks well ventilated, it is undoubtedly more than 50 percent blocked. :thumbsup: Here are a few photographs of my bike after the freeway run.

Fendertestride005.jpg

Fendertestride006.jpg

I decided this was my final ride with this drilled front fender. :thumbsup:

Fendertestride008.jpg

After I arrived home, I cut a large square out of the fender, and installed some 1/4-inch, galvanized hardware cloth. I'll post a photograph of the modified fender later. :cry:

The next time weather permits, I am going to make another freeway run, and this time I expect the high oil temperature will be much closer to 255 degrees than 279 degrees.

Spud :doh:

Here are several photographs of my front fender with the wire mesh installed.

fendermeshmod004.jpg

fendermeshmod002.jpg

Weather permitting, I will take a test run down the freeway this afternoon, and note the oil temperatures. :thumbsup:

Airflow over my oil cooler should be greatly increased with the wire mesh installed in my front fender. For comparison, here's a photograph of the drilled fender.

Fendertestride002.jpg

Here's a photograph of the modified fender installed on my XR650L.

fendermeshinstalled003.jpg

I'll take a freeway run as soon as weather permits.