Sign in to follow this  

i over tightend my oil drain plug and the top of the bolt broke off? anybody know what i should do?

they make a tool to remove stuff like that. just have to drill it so u can use the extractor tool.

Buy a torque wrench

Now drill it out and use a screw extractor and never tighten anything with our a torque wrench since u r stronger than most lOl

Do you mean the head of the bolt itself? Or a piece of the case? I over tightened one on my KX and had a piece of the case crack off. Got it welded completely shut and just took off the clutch cover to drain the oil but after the weld job the gasket leaked. Tore down the engine and split the cases to replace the gasket and went ahead and got the drain hole re tapped while it was apart.

• Like 1

Do you have a pic of it? For starters your going to need to be able to get at that broken bolt with a drill. You will need to use a center punch and punch it dead center, or as close as possible for the best results. Then drill it with a reverse drill bit, also called a left-handed drill bit which in itself may extract it. If it doesn't then you drill it hole down the center, not all the way through, just enough to get the extraction bit in and carefully by hand try to back it out. The one thing you do not want to do is break the extractor off in the hole you just drilled. It is hardened and you won't be drilling it out any time soon. You can get an extraction kit at places like Sears etc. Don't buy anything cheap out of a 99 cent bin as it will break off for sure.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5125829901P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Do you mean the head of the bolt itself? Or a piece of the case? I over tightened one on my KX and had a piece of the case crack off. Got it welded completely shut and just took off the clutch cover to drain the oil but after the weld job the gasket leaked. Tore down the engine and split the cases to replace the gasket and went ahead and got the drain hole re tapped while it was apart.

ya the gead of the bolt.

head

OK, you snapped the drain bolt in half.

That's not a common thing to have happen, since cases are soft metal-most times, the threads strip out of the cases.

But not all is lost. Start with a visit to your local hardware or auto parts store and get yourself an appropriate sized LEFT HAND drill bit and an extractor (EZ-OUT).

In many cases, the left hand drill bit will bite into the remaining segment of the drain plug and walk it right out. If so, you got off easy.

If not, drill that hole out, and tap the extractor in lightly with a hammer, then proceed to twist it into the hole made by the drill bit. These are fluted in a LH direction, and eventually it will tighten in the hole and begin backing the broken stub out.

If you broke the head off the bolt it should not be tight in the hole so you can drill the center and use an easy out to extract the remains. If you can get a left hand drill bit the bolt may even back out while you drill the hole.

If you broke the head off the bolt it should not be tight in the hole so you can drill the center and use an easy out to extract the remains. If you can get a left hand drill bit the bolt may even back out while you drill the hole.

Just thinking.....if it's not cross-threaded.....:thumbsup:

how the hell did you snap the head of the bolt off...thats like a M14 bolt....

If it's a magnetic drain plug the center will have been drilled for the magnet, weakening the bolt.

Edited by 1987CR250R

i had a magnetic plug in mine do the same thing when i bought the bike (first oil change like an hour after i got it home), i drilled a hole, and used an extractor, i ran a tap through the threads to clean them up, but they were in ok shape for the most part anyway. It's not too big of a deal as long as you're patient, and you must be patient to avoid more damage.

Buy a washer and then weld the hole of the washer to the bolt. Then weld a nut onto the washer.

You dont need to be scared of the bolt comming loose. Just use a crush washer(copper) turn the bolt till its snug and then give it a quarter turn.

i used my ez out and it broke. the bolt is really in there and i dont no what to do now and i dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to take it to a bike shop

it is either stripped, or you tightened it way too tight, tight enough to break it off. Your only choice now if you broke the extractor off is to probably take it to a professional welder and have them weld something to it (like a nut), so they can put a wrench on it and try to back it out. They need to be careful with the heat, because those cases are soft and can warp if they lay it on heavy.

Take it to the shop, pay the hundreds of dollars, and put it in the books as a hard lesson learned

Edited by mrmoto35

i used my ez out and it broke. the bolt is really in there and i dont no what to do now and i dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to take it to a bike shop

Weld a nut on the end carefully and put a wrench on it

Edited by Dezert_Man

What choice does he have? I can't see having enough to weld too without causing more problems. Plus that weld won't be any stronger then the nut and easy-out that have already been broken off. Thats really asking for more trouble IMHO

Edited by mrmoto35

and the ez out is stuck in bolt

Oh I knew that without it being said. I feel for ya man thats a tuff break. Is there any way you can get a picture of it and post it? Maybe it would help, maybe not. Ya never know.