Sign in to follow this  

2000 Cr250 plastic conversion HELP!

Guys,

In need of some major help here.

Basically, I'm in the middle of converting my 2000 CR250 to the newer 2002 onwards plastics.

I've been following the threads from previous conversions, but have hit a brick wall when it comes to lining the air box, rear shrouds and fenders up.

I have what I think is a 2003 airbox, and 2003 onwards rear shrouds.

I've tried to line it up, but as the pics below show.....it's just Not working!!!

22549264.jpg

2b95e09d.jpg

1b5ac1f3.jpg

81140e35.jpg

299f3546.jpg

73a5f139.jpg

b8c70536.jpg

As you can see, it just doesn't line up. I've never swapped out the subframe, and the previous 2000 plastics fitted perfectly. I know I need to make one bracket on the bottom of the side panel, but I thought that was it.

If you have any suggestions, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out! I am at wits end now!

Thanks in advance guys

Scott

the lower mounts on the subframe have to be moved in order for it to fit. the seatbolt holes will line up, but without moving the lowers, it wont line up. you can either cut them off and relocate, or make a standoff mount from the existing one. if you do the shrouds as well, you will need the 02-07 tank, and make a similar stand off for the rear lower shroud bolts on both sides.

I just did mine a couple months ago, looks like you got the wrong airbox to me. When i did mine, i reuse the stock (2000) airbox and cut up my old black rear fenders to fill the gap, looks really good.

P1000094.jpg

P1000087.jpg

P1000097.jpg

You can see the 2 hash marks. that is where the tab needs to be located. you can either move it, or make a standoff like i did for the shrouds.

Edited by kuritaro9

Yes you have to modify the mounts but to me it looks like his fender and airbox do not line up together

Edited by cosb

Thanks guys.

Even just holding the side panels on, the simply do not line up. I know I have to re locate the sub frame tabs, but I can't even get the plastics to join up correctly by placing them on. The second last picture on my first thread shows this well.

Oes the airbox look wrong? Could it be this causing the problem?

it looks the same as the one i have. judging by the top of the airbox and how it sits in the subframe, looks like you dont have it in properly. all of the holes should line up. th 2 8mm bolts in the front and the 2 that meet the rear fender/subframe will all line up. the only thing that doesnt is the lower side panel bolt.

P1000084.jpg

it looks the same as the one i have. judging by the top of the airbox and how it sits in the subframe, looks like you dont have it in properly. all of the holes should line up. th 2 8mm bolts in the front and the 2 that meet the rear fender/subframe will all line up. the only thing that doesnt is the lower side panel bolt.

P1000084.jpg

Exactly that's what I'm thinking, it looks the exact same!

The first pic in my original post shows how it's sitting just now. The 5th and 6th pictures are showing the shrouds and airbox meeting, and it doesn't look right to me at all. It's like they are two completely mis matched parts.

I can get a new airbox from here:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2002/CR250/AIR-CLEANER-%28'02_'04%29

But I want to make that the last resort.

Is there any way to tell if it's my subframe or the shrouds them selves? Part #'s etc?

Again guys, I really appreciate the help and will post a full tutorial once I get this complete!

I swapped the polisport side covers for some UFO ones, and it's fitting now. However, I still need to create a bracket for the side covers as they don't sit quite rite without them.

The tank and shrouds are on. I used a 2005 tank and 2003 airbox. However, the tank, doesn't sit well, and as you can see below, it doesn't look quite right.

277fb9cb.jpg

738b4797.jpg

Cause of this, the shrouds and seat don't line up very well. Kuritaro, how did you correct that?

Also, one other thing that's bothering me is how the seat sits with the airbox and side panels. It doesn't cover the top of the plastics. See below:

277fb9cb.jpg

Just wondering if a new seat would sort this? Cause the plastics are flush to the frame.

Again, all help and comments welcomed. A guide of this conversion to follow!

Cheers

Scott

for the tank, u can heat up the sides and push it into the cradles if you arent getting a good fit. mine dropped right in with a slight push. then on the underside , above the plug, i used the heat gun and pushed it in a little to aid removing the plug. you dont need to do that though. u can also run a shorter plug. also on the tank, i used some clear graphics on the inner spars to help stop any chafing where the tanks sits...

you can also cut off the side pieces on the rubber pad. it only sits on the center portion with that tank, on that frame.

this thread has made me have second thoughts about doing this myself, looks like a big pain in the backside.

this thread has made me have second thoughts about doing this myself, looks like a big pain in the backside.

its actually a very easy swap on the 00-01 frame to the newer body style. just depends on how clean you want it to look. same with swapping a 01 engine into a 02-07 frame...

its actually a very easy swap on the 00-01 frame to the newer body style. just depends on how clean you want it to look. same with swapping a 01 engine into a 02-07 frame...

I just did this exact frame swap (2001 to 02-07 / gen 3 frame) and it was not too hard at all. Plan on a frame, subframe, swingarm, linkage, complete rear brake (including rotor and pedal), all plastics including airbox and gas tank. The holes on the frame are pretty close when the engine is mounted by the swingarm bolt...maybe 2mm lower on the front at most. Nothing a quick bit of dremel work can't fix.