Sign in to follow this  

98 kx 250 to a 96 kd 200 opinions and questions

I bought a 98 kx 250 last week for a decent price. I was going to keep it for a back up or, just let my son ride it. Well the wife kinda fussed about it and wants it gone. I listed it on craigslist and had an offer of a trade for a 96 kdx 200. Cosmetically his bike is in a little better shape. Mine has some sun bleached plastics and thats about it for the negatives. I mostly ride trails and already have plenty of other mx bikes. I dont see many kdx's come up in this area and never had a chance to ride one, or even sit on one. I read that the seat height is lower than my kx, which is good, but I am wondering how much more I can lower it? I am thinking about turning my son loose on it and need to get it where he could tip toe it. Anyway what would be the value of a 96 kdx 200 that appears to be in good to very good shape. I know what I have in my kx and cant see myself getting hurt in this trade at all just looking for other opinions. Oh and yes the wife will still fuss about this bike also but at least I did something :thumbsup:

LOL, the wife rules!

Around here the bikes value would be similar. Some guys try to get more for the KDX's but in my opinion condition rules the prices on both models.

My last KX250 was a 2002 and I sold it and kept a KDX200. I had revalved the KX suspension and stuck a flywheel weight on it, but still always seemed to choose the KDX for trails. The only reason I kept a KX250 was for the occasional hare scrambles, as the KDX was more fun and handled trail riding better. I still push it sometimes tho' so I always recommend aggressive riders upgrade the front KDX suspension - I always stick a set of USD's on them.

The KDX has a more comfy seat, the rear shock is off-road valved, the six speed will keep it in the engine's sweet spot, the chassis is short so it has the potential to turn on a dime if it's set up right. I love the dang things. If the bike doesn't already have it, get the FMF woods pipe.

Check out Fredette's website for a discussion of what mod's you might want to do, including spring rates.

Have fun!

Edited by SPUTTER

The seat height is a little lower than most mx bikes, and it rides lower in the stroke. The stock forks are sprung soft, so they ride a little low, too. Good reliable engine with manageable power. You cold make longer dogbones to help lower the seat more, like with a KX 65.