Sign in to follow this  

Looking for info on Marty Moates' YZ that he rode in the 1980 USGP...

I finally got around to buying the Carlsbad USGP 1980 One Day of Magic DVD. What a great movie!

So, I've got a YZ465, but the second time I rode it, the engine froze. I'm going to pull it apart and see what happened, but in the mean time, I'm trying to plan ahead and get everything together to turn it into a Marty Moates tribute bike. Anybody have information about what he rode?

Regards,

Doug

Is this the bike that they had to add weight because it was too light ?

Yes, they were really close to the minimum weight and there was a moment of fear after the race when the bike was weighed again. As far as I can tell, they had a bunch of titanium parts in the thing...

Also, the engine was apparently stroked out to 493cc: http://www.cyclenews...aha-1980-1z.jpg

Edited by Dougster

It was a modified yz, and the company doing most of the work to the bike was "LOP". Heres a decent article on it from back in the day. http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=21039.0

There is a Matthes Podcast, from some time back, that is with the owner/founder of LOP Laurens Offner.

I bet it was an amazing bike before they stroked it into a 490..LOL

I'm not going to try increasing the stroke on mine, but I've got a .060 over piston and some porting, plus I'm planning to run Torco 110, so I'm keeping the compression up. The bike already has Racetech suspension parts front and rear, so with a big high compression engine, it should make for a nice ride. :thumbsup:

I had an 81 YZ465, it was a great bike until I had it bored to 490. Stick with as close to oem bore as you can.