Sign in to follow this  

Hebo hydro clutch

Just looking at mine as a reference, it seems to me that with the clutch arm rotated 90* so that it points toward the rear of the bike, it would interfere with the header tube. The lever has a "step up" shape to it. it would need to be rebent to have a "step down" shape, but even then it would be close.

I think it's a mistake to alter the engine components to accomodate a Hebo set up. If required later, due to whatever circumstances, you wouldn't be able to refit the stock clutch cable and continue to ride. I have my stock cable stashed back at the truck, just in case. I think it's best to keep whatever you do, reversible, so that should the need arise, you can refit the stock cable, even if it's just temporary until you can fix a damaged/non-functional Hebo setup.

I wrap the cable line from the slave cylinder to the clutch arm with plastic spiral wrap to protect it from damage and heat.

HeboXR7.jpg

Appreciate the advices, Trailryder42! Meanwhile I've decided on a plus 90* lever part, fastened to the original not modified lever somehow - details still to be figured out.

But I really think the space on top of the transmission is the ideal position for the slave cylinder, I don't like the forward position. The is adequate space beneath the headers on my XR for a small cable part or rod.

And to my surprise, the Barnett springs arrived today, fitted them quickly, test ride proved no more slipping! Thanks for the help on this, Baja.

Had some time today to fit the Hebo in the new place, also the decomp lever reservoir cover arrived.

As the slave cylinder has a straight shot to the new clutch arm, I'm not using any cables, but a custom rod I've made from M4 thread-all. The clutch arm has an M4 threaded spacer to connect the rod, this way the rod length (clutch free play) can be set. It all works nice and smooth, the hydro cable is routed tidy. I'm not saying this is the easiest installation, but IMO it's the best place for the slave cylinder. An MK2 revision might follow to have nicer secondary clutch arm and slave cylinder mounting bracket.

left.JPG

closeup.JPG

right.JPG

decomp.jpg