Sign in to follow this  

520 chain = what sprockets?

What size sprockets do you need to fit a 520 chain on them? Right now I'm running a 53 x 14? and a 114 chain. How many additional teeth would I need on the rear to make a 520 fit?

520 is the strength. Not the size.

You sure? Because when I counted the links on my 114 chain...it had 114 links. And I'm pretty sure that's how it's measured length wise.

Also, doesn't the distance between the sprockets have a say? How am I supposed to calculate this?

Wait I'm sorry that doesn't make sense... a chain with 520 links? lol.... Can someone help me out here?

• Like 1

How do I know how much tensile strength the chain needs to be for my CR250? Also I heard that it's different for X and O rings... How do I calculate this?

I'm looking at some chains like this one http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/BIKEMASTER-520-HEAVYDUTY-CHAIN and need to know what type of rings it's got. How the heck do I tell? Does it matter? I heard x rings can't be washed with a hose? And o rings are more durable? Any ideas? What's better for a CR250? Is one much more than the other price wise?

Any experience with them? It'll be on a cr250, I don't ride that hard, and I rarely go to a track (mostly play areas). Is one better than the other? Any warranties? I'm looking at a rear steel sprocket.

520 is the chain type/size. 114 is the number of links. If you just bought a 120 link 520 chain you either purchase the correct length or just cut it to fit.

I'd like to hear the discussion on this, never seen an x-ring, but have used o-ring chains for years. If no one posts up I'm sure there's already a thread or two on the subject.

I believe there is a JT on my 125 now. I used to run sunstar and bent the teeth within a few rides, which made the sprocket look like a circular saw blade. I got a great deal on ebay on an o-ring chain and 2 sprocket combo. The JT has been great so far, almost a year and no sign of bending teeth

I think most stick with JT. It's kinda the default choice. That's all I've ever used becasue I never hear anyone complain about them. My friend ran a sunstar with no problems but that was a pretty tame trail bike and he only ran it once or twice before he sold it, so I can't speak for durability about that brand.

A steel sprocket is well, a steel sprocket. Brand should not matter to you. I’ve run both of what you mentioned over the years. Either has worked fine. An inexpensive alternative would be Primary Drive from Rocky Mountain. Since finding out about these, have been using them without problem.

• Like 1

Twisted, just order your chain and sprockets through http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/cl/44/Dirt-Bike For recreational riding the Primary Drive brand chain and sprockets are awesome and they last a very long time if you get a steel rear. You'll have everything you need next day and you can't beat the price.

520 is the size. O and X ring chains are sealed to help keep out debris and either one is great. I order my chains long (120 links) and cut them down to fit.

EDIT: Do you like your current gearing? On CR's I prefer 13 front 50-51 rears for the brutal rocks and trail junk in Northern Utah.

Edited by Rot Box

Twisted, just order your chain and sprockets through http://www.rockymoun...cl/44/Dirt-Bike For recreational riding the Primary Drive brand chain and sprockets are awesome and they last a very long time if you get a steel rear. You'll have everything you need next day and you can't beat the price.

520 is the size. O and X ring chains are sealed to help keep out debris and either one is great. I order my chains long (120 links) and cut them down to fit.

EDIT: Do you like your current gearing? On CR's I prefer 13 front 50-51 rears for the brutal rocks and trail junk in Northern Utah.

Thanks man I found this one last night and it seems legit http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/226/959/272/9635/Primary-Drive-Steel-Kit-%2526-O-Ring-Chain/-/reviews/56693/helpful

By the way, is it just my computer or were my threads merged???? All the replies are on this page!!