Want a new bike, but can't make up my mind.

I have a XT350 that I run back and forth for work and an occasional "Sunday Drive" with the wife. Solo, the XT is great, but it is a little too small framed bike for 2 adults. I'm looking at one of the 650's...either the DR,XR or KLR. I'm not crazy about the looks of the KLR, but the bigger/heavier bike is kind of appealing to me. I have a XR650R to play on, so the XR650L would look real good in the garage, but the DR650 is the most affordable.

I doubt the bike would ever see anything other than pavement and dirt roads. My commute is 15 miles each way on secondary roads.

Anyone have any first hand experience on all of these bikes and like to share their thoughts?

I love my KLR. It feels much smaller than it looks and I'm continually impressed how well it does off road yet still comfy on the street. Since you have a 650R already I would say go big with the KLR. Less power = better gas mileage, about 55 on my KLR.

I've kind of been leaning towards the Honda, but if the seat on the L is anything like the one they put on the R, I don't want it. I'm assuming it isn't though.

Nope, its wide and somewhat comfortable. You'll be pullin' over to get gas around 80mi (thats when reserve will be needed) so you can stretch and walk around on those long trips.

I've kind of been leaning towards the Honda, but if the seat on the L is anything like the one they put on the R, I don't want it. I'm assuming it isn't though.

I've owned all three bikes. Currently riding a DR650. Fantastic.

None of the bikes on your list have good seats. They ALL need replacement. Count on it.

All the bikes you've listed are good ... but all have their + and - points. For Two Up I would go with the KLR ... up grade the seat, suspension, Doohickey and about a half dozen other issues.

The KLR has the most room for two and luggage. Cruises nice on the road. Not bad.

The Honda is very tall ... too tall for most. But if you're riding an XR-R then you are OK with that. But do you want a tall bike on the street? The XR-L is worst on the road. Not smooth, poor fuel economy, with good dirt handling but POOR road handling unless you change round suspension. The XR-L also runs very very HOT. Read up if you doubt this. Your XR-R is a MUCH better bike in every way.

The DR650 is, for me, the best of the bunch by quite a margin. But I use my DR ON and OFF road. It does both very well. It also needs a seat and suspension upgrades ... and a few other items, but is the best bike ON ROAD. Stock they get 50 to 55 MPG. Very smooth even cruising at 70 mph on freeway. It is also quicker and lighter than the KLR. It's also A LOT tougher and more reliable than ANY of the bikes on our list. Mine is at 45,000 miles. Buy a nice used example. No need to buy new ... no way to hurt a DR650, so used is fine. Many DR's I know of are now up over 50,000 miles, still going strong. KLR's can go long and far too if cared for and not hammered. The DR650 can be hammered and still survive. It's one tough M'ffer.

Edited by 54321

Last year bought a 05 with a little less than 700 miles on the clock for 3800. Have over 5000 miles on it now and really like the bike. Can do road riding as well as off road. So far the only things I have changed are a taller handle bar and a Seat Concept seat. Good luck. :banghead:

The Honda is very tall ... too tall for most. But if you're riding an XR-R then you are OK with that. But do you want a tall bike on the street? The XR-L is worst on the road. Not smooth, poor fuel economy, with good dirt handling but POOR road handling unless you change round suspension. The XR-L also runs very very HOT. Read up if you doubt this. Your XR-R is a MUCH better bike in every way.

I don't have experience with the other bikes, but i can tell you this that the XRL IS smooth at highway speeds, has decent handling for stock suspension, and can get around 39 to 50 mpg (mine gets around 40-44). They do run hot though and if you were serious about the Honda it is fairy easy and cheap to rig up an oil cooler.

I've had the KLR, have ridden the XRL, and currently own the DR650. The KLR is the most comfortable two up stock, the XRL the least. The XRL is the best dirt bike stock, the DR a close second and the KLR third. My DR has the Corbin seat and is all day comfortable solo. It is even passable two up with 120 lb passenger with frequent rest stops.

Really depends on what you want. KLR will do gravel/slab 2-Up best, but dont even think about singletrack. They have big tanks stock too. Real comfy 2-up, dont need many mods to ADV ride them. I noticed when riding the KLR it felt like it had a briggs n stratton motor compared to the other two.

XRL is the do it all bike.. I could take almost any trail at walker valley (cascade singletrack) on mine, and yet rode it 2-up through Alaska with my wife (stock seat btw) loaded with full camping gear. Not as comfy as the KLR, but a better one-quiver bike. I dont understand why people say the seat sucks, wimps. All three bikes have good seats

DR is similar to XR but with less suspension. It has a oil cooler built in though (I added one to XRL for $50). If you are short get the DR, it can do just about anything, or if you dont mind the less clearance.

Looking forward for my next big 2-up bike (sold my XRs and got a WRF plated) I would probably get a WR250R to compliment my WR450F. It works well 2-up with gear but the wife would be able to pilot it easier than the XRL. I just cant stomach the overweight bikes like the KLRs, Weestroms, BMWs... You really cant do much with them offroad, they are more of a glorified street bike with knobs.

Why dont you plate your XRR? Or have you considered the WR250R? They get good mpg.. 26,000mi valve checks too

Edited by n16ht5

Why dont you plate your XRR? Or have you considered the WR250R? They get good mpg.. 26,000mi valve checks too

My XRR was sold as a dirt bike without a title. I've checked on getting one and it was more of a headache than I wanted to mess with. As for the WR, I would guess it isn't any bigger than my XT, which is a little too small.

I don't have experience with the other bikes, but i can tell you this that the XRL IS smooth at highway speeds, has decent handling for stock suspension, and can get around 39 to 50 mpg (mine gets around 40-44). They do run hot though and if you were serious about the Honda it is fairy easy and cheap to rig up an oil cooler.

Plus One on the Oil Cooler. Something Honda should have provided ... like the XR400! I bought a brand new XR-L in '92. I rode it back and forth from San Fran to L.A. several times .... 400 miles each way. I did not find it very smooth. Nothing killer, but compared to the DR650, not all that smooth. I also rode the stock seat. Good for about two hours for me. The XR-L has long travel suspension, which hurts it in fast On Road handling. Too much dive, too squishy, flexy and wobbly at speed, IMHO. But all those things simply help it off road. Mine did a Baja ride ... and it was like it was made for Baja. It did very well there. You really have to keep an eye on oil level . Seems all air cooled Hondas use some oil when run hard. But over all a great bike and if doing a long dual sport ride, I'd sooner take the XR-L over any KTM or Husky.

I've had my DR for over a year now and have taken it places that some people thought were out of this bikes 'comfort zone'

Truth be told, the bike has a great platform to build off of, but it's not perfect as a stock bike....but it can get pretty close...read on.

A few things I did that made large improvements in ridability and/or ruggedness:

1. Seat, I went with the seat cover and foam kit from Procycle...and absolutely love it.

2. Lowered pegs with wider platforms, and get rid of the rubber bushings in the footpegs, not good for off road

3. Bars, get higher bars so you can comfortably stand and ride

4. Exhaust, I went with the FMF quiet core, but a lot of guys run an old gsxr can, i prefer quieter exhaust

5. Case covers, get some good steel case covers

6. Skid plate...for obvious reasons

7. Neutral Sending Unit fix, do a google search, it's quick and easy insurance to prevent the possibility of a catastrophie

8. Suspension, if you plan to ride off road, just get it done. I got new springs and revavling by Custom Axis, but there are a few really good ones out there

9. Fork brace, another good add-on that makes a big difference off road

10. Knobbies...this bike loves knobby tires, I prefer the Dunlop D606, again it's all user preference on that one.

11. Sprockets, drop a tooth in the front and go up 4 in th eback for some good off-road gearing...works for me anyway

12. Gas tank, I got the new Acerbis 5.3gal tank and the range is now 250 miles on a tank...thats a long ride.

FWIW I love this bike, mines been through soupy thick mud, deep water, deep sand, hill climbs, rock gardens and jumps on a motocross course.

It's been through hero sections of a number of enduros, been ridden as hard as a dirt bike and keeps asking for more.

It's not light, but it's not terrible.

Of course this is just my opinion :banghead:

Edited by msanna