Sign in to follow this  

Post Pictures of Home Made Bike Stand

Got some new tires in and need to make a stand to hold the BRP up while I take the wheels off. Any pictures of some home made stands that have worked well for you?

• Like 1

Stool is pretty good or you could get Scott S. to hold it up!!!

Here's my creation - a bit heavy duty but thought it would be useful for other things and is very stable!

IMAG0996.jpg

IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

scamparelli tell us more:

I have a couple of extra jacks and wanted to make a "scissored" stand but dont have the brains right now

to the guy with the bucket be careful, they eventually bend and succumb to the pressure, especially if YOU DONT HAVE A FLAT SKIDPLATE.

cheers

Here is an old picture of what I used to use:

P4030084.jpg

Take a couple of pieces of OSB or plywood and cut the interlocking bottom piece. The milk crate fits onto the top and locks it all together. It works great, except for the fact that you have to heft the pig up on the stand.

Here's my creation - a bit heavy duty but thought it would be useful for other things and is very stable!

IMAG0996.jpg

IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

Dave

Very nice work. I thought about making something similar but found this on sale for $29.99. not worth making one at that price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

Here's one that my buddy built. He has something I don't have. Talent.

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

• Like 1

ThumpNRed and Elsalvadorklrs are the most technically inspiring lift stands :-) ,,Honestly once you get one of those foot operated jobs you wonder how you managed for all those years without one..Spend the $30.00,,you won't regret it.,Total bargain that one from Harbourfreight..paid about 80 for mine but this is NZ...

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

ThumpNRed and Elsalvadorklrs are the most technically inspiring lift stands :-) ,,Honestly once you get one of those foot operated jobs you wonder how you managed for all those years without one..Spend the $30.00,,you won't regret it.,Total bargain that one from Harbourfreight..paid about 80 for mine but this is NZ...

jajajaja! i resent that...

NOT

made me laugh

I did do SOME engineering though as I had to nail some wood on the sides that werent supported, jajaja

it wiggles and jiggles but, works

made me laugh though! jajaja

cheers man

I think I'm going to go pick up that stand from Harbor Freight, looks like a really awesome deal.

Here's what I could scavenge from my garage.. she's a heavy beast when there is no one around to help you lift her up.. haha

IMAG0025.jpg

alright Im going to have to show you guys that you dont need to lift anything if the stool or whatnot is the perfect height

my issue is I have a very slow internet....and beleive it or not it takes me like a day to upload a 1minute vid

soooooooooooooooooooooo

maybe a pictorial

i do have a slim xr600 though,

what the hell is an L? jajaja

kidding

Here is an old picture of what I used to use:

P4030084.jpg

Take a couple of pieces of OSB or plywood and cut the interlocking bottom piece. The milk crate fits onto the top and locks it all together. It works great, except for the fact that you have to heft the pig up on the stand.

Lift your pig??? Are you crazy??? :applause:

I use two 4x6's about 12" long with a ramp cut at an angle to roll my pig up on, then I slide the stand under(offset to the rear) and let it roll back down the ramps onto the stand. :banghead:

That 4" of ramp works great and the fact that they are 6" wide keeps them from tipping. :ride:

Here is my version... I have two of them.

DSC00577.jpg

This is what I will be building next. 🙂

DSC01587.jpg

👍

Scamparrelli gets my vote! Nice work!!! Castors to relocate, just need brakes! What did you do with the mattress? & Thumpnred, good thinking! I like the reinforcement of the wood & wider stance!

This is the way to go. My tired old back wouldn't tolerate hefting the pig up and down

2012-03-01151335.jpg

Scamparrelli gets my vote! Nice work!!! Castors to relocate, just need brakes! What did you do with the mattress? & Thumpnred, good thinking! I like the reinforcement of the wood & wider stance!

Cheers mate. It has got braking castors on two of the four, but all four would be more helpful. I plan to use this for other projects such as shifting car engines etc so is a bit heavy duty was also a bit of fun project to build.

However, I like the look of those stands with the foot pedal - flippin cheap too! Dave

Ed Hertfelder wrote an article years ago about an easy way to get an XR650L onto a stand. I had read it when he wrote it and it didn't stick in my memory, but I read it again recently - now that I own an XR650L and had tried working it onto a stand a few times - and it was a revelation.

Park the bike on the sidestand, put the stand you want the bike to go onto next to it on the other side, put a piece of 4x4 or equivalent other wood next to the sidestand, lean the bike to the right while you put the sidestand onto the wood, then lean it to the left lifting one tire off of the ground and slide the stand under the bike. So much easier than the way I had tried to do it before.

He recommends doing all this from the left side of the bike and using a stick or something to slide the stand under the bike, but I made it work from the right side in my garage. You would likely have to do it from the right with one of those cinderblock stands. :banghead:

jeje

thats exactly what I do! once you lean the bike, on its kickstand all you do is scootch the stool or whatevere under the bike or skidplate, then you grab your bars or barkbusters or whatever and the frame if the bike and pull towards you!

nice and easy!

cheers for explaining it better than I could/would of! hjajaja