Corral Canyon Camping

My son and I are thinking about an overnight ride and we have never been to Corral Canyon. The CNF site lists two camping areas. We will be tent camping so shade would be nice.

Any opinions on which is better? How are the trails for intermediate trail riders?

-Don

I like Corral Canyon campground. I think there is better tree coverage and potable water is available there. Be careful on the weekends as the place can get pretty crowded on the trails close to the main staging area, I know of a few head on collisions there. You will find plenty of trails to keep you entertained for the weekend, lots of intermediate trails and a few advanced trails, but you can ride the entire place in about a day.

• Like 1

I like Corral Canyon campground. I think there is better tree coverage and potable water is available there. Be careful on the weekends as the place can get pretty crowded on the trails close to the main staging area, I know of a few head on collisions there. You will find plenty of trails to keep you entertained for the weekend, lots of intermediate trails and a few advanced trails, but you can ride the entire place in about a day.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I always try to avoid weekends for any riding area if possible. Nothing like coming around a turn on a single track and find yourself blocked head-on by a quad.

Our other option is to head up to Gorman. Is the riding about the same?

Sorry I just assumed you were going over a weekend. The good news is all the singletracks at Corral are blockaded so quads can't get on them.

I've never been to Gorman. I live in San Diego and ride Corral a dozen times a year. It's a really good place to ride if you've never been.

I've camped at Corral a couple times, plenty of shade, bathrooms, but last time I was there the potable water was turned off, so make sure to bring your own. I grew up riding Gorman, and personally I think the riding at Corral is better, but Gorman has a lot more area and access to the National Forest. The single track at Corral is great, and honestly it never seemed that busy to me.

I've camped at Corral a couple times, plenty of shade, bathrooms, but last time I was there the potable water was turned off, so make sure to bring your own. I grew up riding Gorman, and personally I think the riding at Corral is better, but Gorman has a lot more area and access to the National Forest. The single track at Corral is great, and honestly it never seemed that busy to me.

If you get on the right trails Corral is not bad; I would guess 90% of the issues are on trail 1, Spur and Kernan...all fairly narrow trails, with high speed traffic (Kernan connects the parking area top with a staging area below... i ride Kernan "up" in the morning, and take the pavement on the way back)

the best trails have little to NO traffic; 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12

Jeeps and quads run trail 11 and the perimeter roads

side note- we are having a trail maintenance day there this Sunday; 9 am at the Four Corners area for people interested in giving back

• 2 weeks later...

If you get on the right trails Corral is not bad; I would guess 90% of the issues are on trail 1, Spur and Kernan...all fairly narrow trails, with high speed traffic (Kernan connects the parking area top with a staging area below... i ride Kernan "up" in the morning, and take the pavement on the way back)

the best trails have little to NO traffic; 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12

Jeeps and quads run trail 11 and the perimeter roads

side note- we are having a trail maintenance day there this Sunday; 9 am at the Four Corners area for people interested in giving back

Thanks for the tips! Do the ranger stations have decent current maps of the trails?