15x rides - Mexican 1000 - more solo than most

So my buddy Mexihonky Gabe and I were BSing a couple weeks ago about teaming for the Norra Mexican 1000 or maybe the Dos Mares race (southern Baja's biggest race) but Gabe kept having work related conflicts. Me, I don't really have that problem (unfortunately).

Then as I'm about to leave town for a week riding in Baja I tell Gabe of something strange that happened to me.

His reply?

"Dude, it's a sign, you gotta go race the Mex1k. You have to do it, straight from your house to Cabo".

While on last weeks Baja ride I decided I'd do it and pulled the trigger and entered this week.

So now I'm racing the Mex1k.

If you don't know the legend of 15x you have to look back to '07 Baja 1000.

There's the real 15x Gabe Williams (OA old bike at Mex1k '11) and the other(s) so I'm using that number just for grins and with the spirit of some other Baja racers in mind...

- Gabe Williams - bad ass dude (sorta on a bike too icon10.gif) from Utah who's got at least a few top Ironman wins, finishes, is the hombre behind www.RaceSolo.com , and might not again tell me how he's changing the solo pre-run to La Paz plan in order to totally mess things up and spend the night out alone in Baja (comedy from '10 B1k). He was also the legit 15x at '07 Baja 1000 and "recipient" of the Everyready award as top Ironman that race, even got his sweet style on TV (short lived award however).

- Trigger Gumm - SoCal moto/fmx/surf guy who got most famous in off road circle after his "performance" at the '07 Baja 1000. Why? If you don't know it's good entertainment if you search for it. Trigger is a cool guy, super nice, i'm not bagging on him at all. I told him recently, "15x will ride again!", he laughed.

- Bob Laughlin - a central CA tough biker who a few years ago truly solo'd all 3 SCORE races and I believe went home as season Champ. Sure there are "solo" guys/gals but Bob really did the races without any help on his totally clapped-out 650r. He'd carry multiple drinker systems, multiple pair goggles, and only use the Pemex stations to gas. I was at a Pemex once during when he did this and offered to pay and he refused because it wouldn't be "solo".

- And how can I not include Ken The Baja Turtle, the guy who rides his 650 from his home in San Diego to each SCORE race and races solo. I take that back, he doesn't "race" , he rides, and not very fast at all ("Baja Turtle", duh). I've seen Helo video of him being passed by Trophy Trucks and class 1's, amazing, amazingly dangerous for Ken at his speed. But ya gotta hand it to him, he's created this image for himself, goes and does it, and is still alive!

I'm in no way discounting any other gnarly Baja racers. I mean come'on, I think Jack Johnson won a Baja 500 OverAll on a bike riding solo (calling Justin for stats, stat).

But i digress...

(edit) I totally brain farted!

A fews days ago I was talking with Quinn and basically told him Chasing Summer, what everrr... I'll be Chasing Spring!

The pre mega-support Chasing Summer QuinDall rides (used to be called Endless Summer) are also an inspiration for this little moto ride I'm doing. I told Quinn to join me (see if he can keep up really :banghead:) but he's not quite healthy yet.

This is all super last minute, really, I only have this week (4 days) of prep. I was in Baja all of last week (nowhere near the course) and also totally screwed-up my back last week. I'm behind the 8-ball to be ready and fast so I'm going about this event differently....

Edited by BajaBoundMoto
  • Like 2

So...

This Friday morning I'm riding out alone from my home with my Giant Loop saddle bags and backpack packed. Almost everything I need for the following 10 days I'll be carrying.

Seeing that Mex1k is now open to all years of vehicles but has strong focus on old iron I'll be on the oldest running XR I own, a 2000 650r.

I have an awesome '88xr600 but there's no possible way I could have it ready in time.

First I'm heading to an area near San Felipe to pay respects to fallen rider friend Jeff 'Ox' Kargola on the anniversary of his passing then up to Mikes Sky Ranch for the night.

Saturday I'll ride to Mexicali for sign-up and such.

Sunday thru Wednesday are race days with layovers each night in Bay Of LA, Loreto, and La Paz then finish in San Jose Del Cabo.

I'm doing the Mex1k with no arranged hotels, no pits, no support truck.

I'll use Pemex stations and ranch house gas. The XR has a 6.5 gallon tank but there are a few sections I have to carry 2 gals and 1 section I'll have 3 gallons of gas on a belt. Should be fun!

I cant really say I'm totally unsupported because I will send 3 tires and 2 changes of Top 1 Oil down south. It'd be impossible to do this without spare tires and I want to run Top 1.

This event is "rally" style with no pre-running and most navigate with GPS (i wont have one) and roadbook with ICO computer.

But I have a cheap plastic manual roadbook holder zip tied to my Flexx bars and the stock XR odometer. Not nearly trick but should work decent enough.

The day after the race finishes in San Jose Del Cabo I'll be riding away with a massive hangover and ride alone back to California.

Not sure how many days I'll take to get home but I'll for sure chill in San Juanico and surf a little. I'm on a serious budget couch tour so I hope my friend John is at his Juanico house and that the key i have to a friends house in Loreto still works (southbound).

Before during and after the event I will be posting stories or updates on RaceSolo.com or the Race Solo Facebook. Hopefully they will be as entertaining as my stories from Dakar icon10.gif

Go and "like" the Race Solo Facebook!

Edited by BajaBoundMoto

Tim- I'm in on this one! It ought to be quite an adventure. ? ........I've read all about the Real 15x :banghead:

Might have to git one of them "facebook accounts".................................................

Edited by vetracer1

This is great news Tim. All so gnarly. You are an alien from outer space, from the planet "ALLGNAR"

it is pretty symbolic to do this journey. Tim Morton won the inaugural Mexican 1000 Rally reincarnation 2 years ago, followed by Mexihonkey last year.

856772901_qAbNX-L-3.jpg

The M1K really has the potential to be the "next big thing" and with TM entering old-school style, it just adds to the draw. Rad that you are leap-frogging the OX- Mikes Loop before hand...

As far as predictions and moneyline go, I would give Morton the lock on the OA if he was using pits and GPS. GPS-device-holing-entrants will have an advantage on day 4. Of course the GPS for MORTO is sacrilege, and with a nagging back issue, an OA is harder to visualize. I just think Morto is going Kenweld style on this on with twice as much speed but not for the win.

Tim, you could win this thing if you really wanted to, (you might still) but it is really rad that you are doing it at all. Can't wait.

Oh, and don't check out Breauxman LIVE on FB if you want to know which bike wins each special...

Tim Morton put the gnar in gnarly before there ever was gnarly. I do know a few other things about Tim... he doesn't just race 'to finish or for the 'physical challenge' (he can't even do 1 push up) he can't help himself, once the flag drops he'll be racing to win. Tim is really keeping with the whole wild-west-cowboy'n it spirit of the race. This is definitely going to be a legendary Baja story in the making.

BTW - was that the same Bob Laughlin that raced the 2010 NORRA in the pos manx with his 13 year old daughter ... and finished, then drove it back home?

update - It's 2:00AM and i just finished prepping my Mex1k bike (and Jen & Grants bikes so they can ride this weekend). I'm supposed to meet MotomanX & Duece at the Tecate border at 8 to ride to the Ox memorial.

It's not looking like I'll have much time to prep my riding gear and stuff. Damn, better start some laundry...

Well I might not be getting any sleep but at least I carbo loaded with a 6 pack of Pacificos while doing bike work tonight (pretty much equals 6 sandwhiches ya know). I'll be ready!

BTW - was that the same Bob Laughlin that raced the 2010 NORRA in the pos manx with his 13 year old daughter ... and finished, then drove it back home?

It is the same Bob and one of the years I towed his Manx from La Paz to Ensenada so Bob and his daughter could relax on the drive north. Once in Ens we unhooked and they took off on another adventure.

I see they are entered in Mex1k too, just after me. Nice people for sure.

And Mexihonkey's right, I just tried to do a push up. Didn't happen.

Edited by BajaBoundMoto

Yea, tim pulled that manx up the pennisula, i rode along and heard alot of very cool storys from both tim and robert laughlin. Have since been saved by both of them at least once! My money is on tim the first day, and honky on the last day!

The rally was not as good today without Tim keeping therookies honest.

If you did not hear. Tim averaged 69.66 MPH on day 1 (new Baja moto record) before blowing the crank on transfer stage to BOLA. Mike Gilkey was out in front today again with Octavio and Alexander Smith banging bars on stage 1.

Chris Vestel was back in his zone today as well.

A few high and low lights...

In the first 5 miles of day 1 special test 1 I went from 3rd to 1st to 6th. Yes, little navigation error. Oops!

I was 3rd OA bike in special 1 but won the next 2 specials.

Like was told I blew my crank (not like that) on the transfer stage into BOLA. Bummer yes.

That 69mph average record speed would have been crushed if I would have done better navigation off the start, if my back was healthy and I could push harder, and if I wouldn't have stopped a few times confused about actual route. Just cuz some of us know Baja doesn't mean we "know" which route they want us to use!

Oh, and seeing i was carrying all my clothes and stuff (not really supported here, rode from my house) i think the shoes i had zip-tied to the gas tank ruined my aerodynamics :banghead:.

I meet & had a pic taken with Sarah Palin in Bay of LA (high light, in case you were wondering).

Robby Gordon's Hummer truck went, get this, 164 mph in the dirt. And apparently can hold it there. Scary!

I am now cruising with the Malcolm & Alex Smith team and Neil & Andy Grider (and Marty Gomez too). I got just my clothes and some cash. Just messing around in Baja.

We are pretty sure that Malcolm and Alex are in the OA lead of bikes or close to it on their 1982 Husky 430. At least they won both special tests today. They flat out hauled butt today.

Not sure what the next few days holds for me. My back is in so much pain Im tryin to get a flight out of Loreto right now.

Until later,

Edited by BajaBoundMoto

To bad on your day, it sounded epic though. Are you sure it was Sarah Palin? Did you check her out. If it was I'd say Palin for PRESIDENT and Malcolm as czar of dirt biking. I guess you never know in Mex!!!! Good Times

Yes she's here with Todd and Bristol. See the pic with her and i on the Race Solo Facebook. They're here again tonite in Loreto.

Sounds like Todd was co-dog for Walker Evans today in a truck.

Later than Midnight update - the Smiths are running 2nd OA bike about 35 minutes down after penalties. I think if the old Husky stats together they can make up that much time and win it.