Sign in to follow this  

05 YZ250, time for a BB kit, Madman (330) vs Eric Gorr (295)?

I am building a bike for racing in the local Desert racing series, I have raced in Expert open previously, but I want to try a different class to see how well I can do, since I weigh about 120# I think I can ride a 250 2 stroke damn near as fast as I can my CRF450r, except when it comes to 5th gear thats when the 450 comes singing past me! But just about everywhere else I am a little bit faster than the 450s when riding my YZ250, mainly due the the lighter weight allowing me to control the bike a little bit better.

So the plan is as follows:

I just bought a 2005 YZ250 with the 2006 SSS Suspension fully valved by Noleen for guy that a litttle heavier but isnt as aggressive so the suspension feels very good, so not gonna touch that, already has a 3.2 gallon desert tank, V-Force III reeds, steering dampner mount (minus the dampner itself), 18" rear wheel, and it runs really good.

So I can really use some taller gears on top, so I just ordered 3rd thru 5th gears from the WR to fix that issue, next thing I would like to do is to add some displacement in order for it to pull the new longer gears without loosing too much power on top end.

I am just looking to increase power across the board, and not specifically in just one area.

So for that issue my choices are as follows:

(1) The Eric Gorr 295 kit, I have heard a lot of good things about this kit and I owned a YZ 144 built by him that had a lot op power for a mosquito, lol. So I can get the 295 kit complete with parts, porting and reforming of the cylinder head combustion chamber, and he will mill the head to the fuel you run and do the porting for tailoring the powerband to suit your style.

(2) The madman engineering kit (330cc!!!), which I know nothing about and cont find any information on...

Sounds like it would really scream, but since I cannot find an testimonials I really have no feedback on this kit whatsoever.

So anybody have some input for me concerning the 2 kits mentioned above, any help would be greatly appreciated, thx!!

I would go with eric gorr, his 295 kit is great and I have his 144 kit on an older yz. Plus with wide gears and a bb that yz250 will flat out rip.

• Like 1

I wont badmouth anyone as I have no idea about a 330 kit. It might be amazing. BUT, Eric designed this new 295 piston. If 220, 240, or 600 were possible, he would have done it. Eric also designed 265, 285, and MANY others.

Plus, any size is only as good as replaceemnt parts will be.

I am running the eric Gorr 295 in my 2005 yz 250 and it is AMAZING!! eric is a true artist and flat out genius!

• Like 2

I can't even imagine what that 295 will feel like at 120#s. I have the 295 ported mid-top and absolutely love it in the desert. I'm a little over 6'1" and 235 lbs and ride about 60/40 desert and track. Even at my weight the difference is pretty amazing, I shift much less with the 295 than when I ride my stock bike with only bolt on mods. I'm going to add the wr 5th as well because the yz could defiantly use the extra speed. I ride with a guy who has an 08 ktm300 xcw and its annoying in the washes to get passed just because it won't go any faster.

The reliability is insane as well. I got 100 precisely timed hard hours out of my last piston. At the time I pulled it it was still running great but the top end bearing was starting to wear. That includes dunes and cinders here in AZ which are pretty hard on a bike.

I would go with eric gorr, his 295 kit is great and I have his 144 kit on an older yz. Plus with wide gears and a bb that yz250 will flat out rip.

OK thnx for the info, +1 for EG. I had a 144 from EG too and it was pretty quick for a 125!

I wont badmouth anyone as I have no idea about a 330 kit. It might be amazing. BUT, Eric designed this new 295 piston. If 220, 240, or 600 were possible, he would have done it. Eric also designed 265, 285, and MANY others.

Plus, any size is only as good as replaceemnt parts will be.

I agree, I have seen no info whatosever on the 330kit anywhere and cannot find anyone running one, which also makes really weary of that madman kit, I have also tried to Email them for more info and got no response. So another vote for EG!

I am running the eric Gorr 295 in my 2005 yz 250 and it is AMAZING!! eric is a true artist and flat out genius!

Sounds good, I think I know what I am getting.....

I can't even imagine what that 295 will feel like at 120#s. I have the 295 ported mid-top and absolutely love it in the desert. I'm a little over 6'1" and 235 lbs and ride about 60/40 desert and track. Even at my weight the difference is pretty amazing, I shift much less with the 295 than when I ride my stock bike with only bolt on mods. I'm going to add the wr 5th as well because the yz could defiantly use the extra speed. I ride with a guy who has an 08 ktm300 xcw and its annoying in the washes to get passed just because it won't go any faster.

The reliability is insane as well. I got 100 precisely timed hard hours out of my last piston. At the time I pulled it it was still running great but the top end bearing was starting to wear. That includes dunes and cinders here in AZ which are pretty hard on a bike.

WOW 100 hours! What tyoe of rider would you say you are, and do you ride the bike on the pipe quite a bit?

I really like the fact that you got soo many hours from that piston, at 100 hours on my CRF 488 and stage III cam would have needed new valves and springs, head machining, and a new piston, and gaskets not to mention fluids (costing over $600), the maintenance on the 4 stroked are killing my wallet. So I am glad to have a 2nd bike thats a 2 stroke, when I ride my 450 I always have the thought in the back of my head that my hour meter is getting closer to having to rebuild my topend...I guess there are pros and cons to everything, however I appreciate the pros much better.

I will probably send out my cylinder and head to Eric Gorr next week for the work and also would like to have the carb mod done too, not sure if EG does that, but I read a post about somebody in Idaho I think that will bore the carb and put a divider in it for about $100ish, but I forgot who it was, I am sure I can search it.

But in the end having a YZ250 with WR 3-5 gears, a 295 kit, porting, V-force 3 reeds, 18" rear wheel, and that carb mod should make my bike (hopefully) be able to mix it up with the 450s, and with my body weight I would love to be able to actually pull on them. With the WR 3-5 and a 15-47 gears I think it will work out, but time will tell.

I am going to race it in 250 expert class and see how it does, or better yet, how I do, lol, heck maybe I can even race it in Novice class, but doubt it since I have raced in open expert, that would kinda be cheating I guess...

Thanks for everyones input, I really do appreciate everyones help. I always get great help here and always try my best to help others with their problems when I think I have informative things to say.

For that type of topend riding you may want to get a DEP pipe. They have good upper mid to topend with plenty of over rev.

A good portion of those hours were on the pipe pretty hard. I burnt 57 gallons of gas in the Imperial dunes and Cinders up in Flagstaff alone last year and riding there you are on the pipe hard all day. To get a bike to launch my 230# + gear at Glamis takes a lot of throttle. Outside of that I ride at least once a week. 2 times a month at a track and 2-3 in the desert. The durability has really impressed me. One of the guys I ride with on a 450f weighs 60# less and we compare maintenance head to head, (doing our own work) and I am consistently at about 60-70% of his cost yearly. That is taking into consideration pre mix as well.

Which series are you going to run? I was out at the WORCS race in Havasu and that was a pretty cool setup. Unfortunately I caught a rut wrong on the lip of a jump and took myself out in practice but I think I am going to try and make some more of that circuit. I had a blast.

here is the carb mod...

http://www.rb-design...0-carb-mods.htm

Awesome thanks. thats the one!

For that type of topend riding you may want to get a DEP pipe. They have good upper mid to topend with plenty of over rev.

Yeah thats what I have been reading, unfortunately I just got a brand new PC platinum II pipe, oops, hope it works well...

A good portion of those hours were on the pipe pretty hard. I burnt 57 gallons of gas in the Imperial dunes and Cinders up in Flagstaff alone last year and riding there you are on the pipe hard all day. To get a bike to launch my 230# + gear at Glamis takes a lot of throttle. Outside of that I ride at least once a week. 2 times a month at a track and 2-3 in the desert. The durability has really impressed me. One of the guys I ride with on a 450f weighs 60# less and we compare maintenance head to head, (doing our own work) and I am consistently at about 60-70% of his cost yearly. That is taking into consideration pre mix as well.

Which series are you going to run? I was out at the WORCS race in Havasu and that was a pretty cool setup. Unfortunately I caught a rut wrong on the lip of a jump and took myself out in practice but I think I am going to try and make some more of that circuit. I had a blast.

I run D38, and a couple of WORCS races, as a matter of fact I am in Havasu right now! For racing out here you had beter be used to the heat!!!

Awesome thanks. thats the one!

Yeah thats what I have been reading, unfortunately I just got a brand new PC platinum II pipe, oops, hope it works well...

I run D38, and a couple of WORCS races, as a matter of fact I am in Havasu right now! For racing out here you had beter be used to the heat!!!

Isn't the PC Platinum 2 supposed to be a thicker walled pipe with more low to mid? Similar to the FMF Gnarly.

I've read conflicting descriptions. One said it was just a thick walled version of the original Platinum with mid to top end gains, the other is described above.

Isn't the PC Platinum 2 supposed to be a thicker walled pipe with more low to mid? Similar to the FMF Gnarly.

I've read conflicting descriptions. One said it was just a thick walled version of the original Platinum with mid to top end gains, the other is described above.

I really dont know, but I hope it is going to work well with the 295 kit! I guess its gonna have to be good enough for now, as far as thicker walled, it feels pretty darn light to me. I wasnt planning on going big bore when I got it, but I guess I will soon find out.

In the reviews of this pipe on the PC website most say it helps power everywhere and has better overrev..

Edited by DIESEL Power ATK

I really dont know, but I hope it is going to work well with the 295 kit! I guess its gonna have to be good enough for now, as far as thicker walled, it feels pretty darn light to me. I wasnt planning on going big bore when I got it, but I guess I will soon find out.

In the reviews of this pipe on the PC website most say it helps power everywhere and has better overrev..

There are no reviews on the Platinum II pipe on PC's webbsite. It appears that you are looking at the Platinum pipes. PC states that the Platinum II will give you a substantial increase in bottom and mid power. Quite frankly, the 295 kit in any porting configuration will already do this. You would be better off to contact PC and see if they will swap you to a Works or Platinum pipe provided you have not used the pipe that you have. For the desert, a stock pipe will work better for you than the Platinum II.

Edited by Budlite

I have built 5 EG 300's, three of them with full wr400 gearboxes, so with this combo the dep pipe is weaker than say a stock 09 pipe, and the PC2 is awesome, with much more bottom and mid power for the wide gearbox. :banghead:

Here's another option....http://www.dirt-deals.com/Athena-Big-Bore-Kit-YZ250-YZ290cc-2-stroke_p_1784.html

There are no reviews on the Platinum II pipe on PC's webbsite. It appears that you are looking at the Platinum pipes. PC states that the Platinum II will give you a substantial increase in bottom and mid power. Quite frankly, the 295 kit in any porting configuration will already do this. You would be better off to contact PC and see if they will swap you to a Works or Platinum pipe provided you have not used the pipe that you have. For the desert, a stock pipe will work better for you than the Platinum II.

I guess it was some other site that reviewed the PC II using customer feedback.

I have built 5 EG 300's, three of them with full wr400 gearboxes, so with this combo the dep pipe is weaker than say a stock 09 pipe, and the PC2 is awesome, with much more bottom and mid power for the wide gearbox. :banghead:

Good to know, because thats how I am doing it!

Here's another option....http://www.dirt-deals.com/Athena-Big-Bore-Kit-YZ250-YZ290cc-2-stroke_p_1784.html

OMG did you see the pricetag? Over $1K!!!! WOW! I'll wait for Eric, lol.

Eric's price is $1295 on his garage sale page. A complete kit. If a rider wanted to keep his stock stuff or Ebay it, a complete kit is the way to go. Check with your dealer....cost is probably somewhat lower.

OMG did you see the pricetag? Over $1K!!!! WOW! I'll wait for Eric, lol.

It's only $390 more, plus you get a brand new cylinder, head, powervalve. Cant buy OEM for that price.....maybe used. If you were considering keeping your stock parts for backup, it would be something to consider...

Eric's price is $1295 on his garage sale page. A complete kit. If a rider wanted to keep his stock stuff or Ebay it, a complete kit is the way to go. Check with your dealer....cost is probably somewhat lower.

It's only $390 more, plus you get a brand new cylinder, head, powervalve. Cant buy OEM for that price.....maybe used. If you were considering keeping your stock parts for backup, it would be something to consider...

I see, thats the cost of a complete bolt on kit, vs having to send my cylinder to get re-sleeved, but in my case I would rather have mine machined to save the $$$, I dont really see a need for keeping the stock stuff and having extra parts, unless I needed something in a jam, but I have other bikes I can ride if that were to happen.

But Gordy you have sparked my interest in the other 335 kit...waiting for a response from the site you linked me to...thanks for the PM and that info, much appreciated.