I picked up a used 2006 DRZ400SM, mods are as follows:

3X3

Athena Big Bore

Yosh Cams

FCR Carb with jetting verified by Eddie

E-model CDI Box

MRD SSW exhaust.

Typical weight saving mods.

After I bought the bike I checked valve adjustment and performed a cylinder leakage test and everything was good. The bike runs well.

Now for my delema:

The bike has OK power but I certainly would not want any less, and I have laready been toying with the idea of sending it to Eddie for the stroker/RHC treatment.

Problem is it that it way too loud. I bought this bike to commute with and there is no way I can leave at 6AM without pissing off the whole block of neighbors.

From my research on this forum it seems that you pretty much have to run the loud MRD/SSW exhaust for a high HP DRZ to run well.

At this point I am looking at buying a 2007 WR450 and converting it to supermoto. My thinking is that it will be as fast or maybe faster than my DRZ is right now, and have a quieter stock exhaust system. Does this seem correct? Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am not worried about any extra maintenance on the WR.

Thanks,

Clint

I have 2 E models, 1 S model and a WR450. If you don't want less power then your FCR/SSW DRZ...then a stock exhaust WR450 is not going to fit the bill. They are really stuffed up with the stock/quiet exhaust.

The loudness of your exhaust directly relates to how heavy your wrist is, keep the RPM's low, and your dB's will be low :banghead:

Ya that's what I thought when I bought it, but even riding it as easily as possible still rattles the blinds in the house when I go by.

How about the noise from a stock Aprillia SXV 5.5, anyone have any experience with one?

Ya that's what I thought when I bought it, but even riding it as easily as possible still rattles the blinds in the house when I go by.

How about the noise from a stock Aprillia SXV 5.5, anyone have any experience with one?

the only expirience i have is the one in my garage not running :banghead:

I've discussed this with my friends and we have concluded that the WR will not be reliable as a daily commuter bike. Its such a high performance engine. I recently got back from a 712 mile trip to arkansas from missouri on my DRZ and I rode it 65 miles back on the highway at about 85mph, which as you know makes the DRZ rev pretty freakin' high. I felt comfortable doing this because its such a heavy duty build engine (have you picked up a DRZ enigne before? thing's gotta weigh like 100lb).

If I were to rev a WR450 out on the highway like that I would be cringing the whole way. I owned a slightly built YFZ450 before my DRZ, and the YFZ essentially has the same engine as the WR, and everything in it is so lightweight and performance minded, I just wouldnt feel comfortable using that engine in anything other than a race setting. Every time I took my YFZ down the drag strip I would be hoping to god that it didnt throw a rod out the side of the case. It never did, but man, that was a sketchy engine.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it, i wont be offended :banghead:

After making the usual first mods to my DRZ, I too wanted more, I don't want more any more, because I went this route.

IMG_0894.jpg

Now when I ride, I just keep repeating: "Oh my God" "Oh my God" "Oh my God" "Oh my God" "Oh my God"

:banghead:

I've discussed this with my friends and we have concluded that the WR will not be reliable as a daily commuter bike. Its such a high performance engine. I recently got back from a 712 mile trip to arkansas from missouri on my DRZ and I rode it 65 miles back on the highway at about 85mph, which as you know makes the DRZ rev pretty freakin' high. I felt comfortable doing this because its such a heavy duty build engine (have you picked up a DRZ enigne before? thing's gotta weigh like 100lb).

If I were to rev a WR450 out on the highway like that I would be cringing the whole way. I owned a slightly built YFZ450 before my DRZ, and the YFZ essentially has the same engine as the WR, and everything in it is so lightweight and performance minded, I just wouldnt feel comfortable using that engine in anything other than a race setting. Every time I took my YFZ down the drag strip I would be hoping to god that it didnt throw a rod out the side of the case. It never did, but man, that was a sketchy engine.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it, i wont be offended :banghead:

Thanks for the input, I am not really worried about the maintenance at all, I put on very few miles (no highway) and don't mind working on bikes.

A local shop has a 2008 SXV 550 with low miles for a good price, I am going head over and take it for a ride.

wr450 are really nice bikes and have a ton more power than the drz. Alot of people say they wont be reliable for a supermoto but i know more than a few people that ride these on the street without any issues.

Its not going to be any quieter if thats what your looking for. take it easy on your street and they can deal with it.

at about 1:50 we start racing:) im on my 02 drz S. I have E base gasket, E cams, FCR 39, mrd/ssw and some airbox mods. i was running 15/47 gearing and it was very wet/muddy. in the last one the wr450 got the jump on me but was never pulling away. Its a 2010 and uncorked. I would say there isnt much power to be gained by swapping over. Just some weight savings. Since you have a few mods on my like the BB maybe just doing some extra weight saving mods might be a good route?

I ride both my drz and rmz on the track and its pretty easy to ride the drz fast, even with DOT tires.

I will also say this, a buddy just got a wr426 street legal and motarded and its uber loud! louder than my quiet tip mrd/ssw for sure.

Do some research on the 2008 SXV 550 before buying. I have ridden with a guy on one....My DRZ with cams, FCR, MRD pipe, and well setup running perfect and his stock SXV blew my doors off. Fast bike but very troubled...I have heard that they can be made reliable with the right mods and setup but lots of people just sell them after problems arise. For a while there you could buy one and get one free (seriously). My cousin was offered a brand new one for $3500 from a guy that did the buy one get one free.

Do some research on the 2008 SXV 550 before buying. I have ridden with a guy on one....My DRZ with cams, FCR, MRD pipe, and well setup running perfect and his stock SXV blew my doors off. Fast bike but very troubled...I have heard that they can be made reliable with the right mods and setup but lots of people just sell them after problems arise. For a while there you could buy one and get one free (seriously). My cousin was offered a brand new one for $3500 from a guy that did the buy one get one free.

I have done alot of research on the SXV's and I am aware of the reported issues. Honestly for the amount I will ride I think it will be fine.

I went and took a used 2008 SXV 550 for a ride, and all I can say is WOW! The power was amazing and the sound was very reasonable, no ear plugs required!

My DRZ is now up for sale.

The only reason I did not buy the SXV was that it shows 1500 miles on the odometer, but something tells me that it has more. The rear tire was really scuffed up. I just did not have a good feeling about this particular bike.

I have done alot of research on the SXV's and I am aware of the reported issues. Honestly for the amount I will ride I think it will be fine.

I went and took a used 2008 SXV 550 for a ride, and all I can say is WOW! The power was amazing and the sound was very reasonable, no ear plugs required!

My DRZ is now up for sale.

The only reason I did not buy the SXV was that it shows 1500 miles on the odometer, but something tells me that it has more. The rear tire was really scuffed up. I just did not have a good feeling about this particular bike.

i have seen a few that by dumb luck havent had problems. Most of them were older ones with 09 motors in them(from the dealer). I have also seen several that wont start if its under 50f out:) No doubt they have good power. So do the husky 511 and the ktm smr.