Sign in to follow this  

kx125 made into 144, as much hp as ktm 150sx?

Im looking into getting a kx125 probably 04-06 then sending the engine out to have it made into a 144. Any good guys out there that could do it? will the 144 build make as much hp as the ktm 150sx? Should i just save up a little more money and wait for a ktm 150sx to show up. Im a short rider so whichever bike suits a smaller rider would be better

Eric Gorr is the man, but I doubt you'll be anywhere near 40hp like the 2011 KTM 150SX.

So there is no way to get the kx to make that much hp? Im looking to make the bike desert ready for some races in nevada

You can so just about anything with enough money, but it would probably be a really high maintenance machine. What's wrong with a KDX200/220? Those are absolutely great bikes and have a very friendly seat height.

You can so just about anything with enough money, but it would probably be a really high maintenance machine. What's wrong with a KDX200/220? Those are absolutely great bikes and have a very friendly seat height.

I think the OP is looking for a SX bike.

Has anyone dynoed a Eric Gorr KX144? I bet it is close to 40hp.

I know it's not a Kawi, but this article isn't very hp inspiring...

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/TWOSTROKE-TEST-MXA-BUILDS-A-YAMAHA-YZ144-BIGBORE-M-6889.aspx

I stand corrected. On the yz 144 only 2hp increase over the meat of the power band.

The Mag even states it is not even close to a ktm 150 hp and trq numbers.

I wonder what a EG KX 144 hp and trq numbers would be?

Thank you for posting that artcicle

I think that a 144 2 stroke can beat a 250f, the 250f still may have more HP but take into consideration that the 125 is 30 lbs lighter, and the fun factor is a major plus!

hmm maybe my future looks orange? I know even the 2012 makes about 38 hp. The one thing i dont like is how much my 250f weighs, it feels like a pig!

First off, the KTM150 IS A 144, they just use 150 as a marketing thing.

2nd, Absolute peak hp isn't the key to everything. The key is putting the power in the area the rider rides at.

i.e. A pro rider will want all hp at the top where he is at all the time. A novice rider will want it at the midrange, etc, etc.

EG and TDC both do some of the best work out there as well as a few others. They will all build and design the engine based on riders abilities and type of riding...woods, mx, etc.

Horse power is great, but not worth a damn if you can't use it or get it to the ground in your usable range.

Oh, BTW, a 144 is a jetting nightmare.

143.6cm3

Also, ride a KTM before you buy one. All the Euro bikes have a completely different feel to them. Closer seat to pegs, bar placement, etc. Personally, I don't like the feel of them.

Edited by SAPPERS

First off, the KTM150 IS A 144, they just use 150 as a marketing thing.

2nd, Absolute peak hp isn't the key to everything. The key is putting the power in the area the rider rides at.

i.e. A pro rider will want all hp at the top where he is at all the time. A novice rider will want it at the midrange, etc, etc.

EG and TDC both do some of the best work out there as well as a few others. They will all build and design the engine based on riders abilities and type of riding...woods, mx, etc.

Horse power is great, but not worth a damn if you can't use it or get it to the ground in your usable range.

Oh, BTW, a 144 is a jetting nightmare.

143.6cm3

Also, ride a KTM before you buy one. All the Euro bikes have a completely different feel to them. Closer seat to pegs, bar placement, etc. Personally, I don't like the feel of them.

Im goint to use it for desert so wouldnt i want most of the power up top? Then again the races have parts where you start to slow down and have to go up stuff carefully. So if i look for a kx125, which years should i look for? Any other good brands and years that you've tried?

Edited by onetwofivelife

So ive been looking and maybe a smaller bore 2 stroke isnt the answer, the other problem ive had with the 250f is it feels like porker, me being 5'6'' and 130 lbs at times i slide out and cant catch myself like i could with the old 125. Thats the reason i want 2 stroke. I was thinking if not a 144 then maybe a ktm 200 or even ktm 250sx, but then http://www.ktm.com/e...highlights.html the one thing i dont like about the 200 and 250 is they weigh 13-15 lbs more than the 150sx. Where does all that weight come from? Just the bigger engine? Heres a video of one of the races so you guys can see if I might need the extra power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEWgR5StKak

Edited by onetwofivelife

You're not near to using the full HP of that yamaha - I bet you'll be disappointed in a lighter bike with a shorter torque curve.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I have owned a ktm 144sx and an '04 kx125 with a 144 done by Gorr ported for mid to top, stock pipe, shorty silencer, vforce 3 reeds. It felt really close to the horsepower of the 144sx, and what made it even more ride-able was that it had great mid-range. I bought it with the head modified for pump gas, but I had him bring it back to stock form, and the only power loss I felt was a little off the bottom-end. In the end, both bikes could handle most any 250f if kept on the pipe. The KX was a little easier to ride, and it absolutely ripped (I'm not a kawi guy either!).

You're not near to using the full HP of that yamaha - I bet you'll be disappointed in a lighter bike with a shorter torque curve.

oh no thats not me in the video haha just a video i found on youtube. I was talking about how fast they're going and things they go over if its a dumb idea to go to a 125 or get maybe a 200

I didn't read the entire thread, but I have owned a ktm 144sx and an '04 kx125 with a 144 done by Gorr ported for mid to top, stock pipe, shorty silencer, vforce 3 reeds. It felt really close to the horsepower of the 144sx, and what made it even more ride-able was that it had great mid-range. I bought it with the head modified for pump gas, but I had him bring it back to stock form, and the only power loss I felt was a little off the bottom-end. In the end, both bikes could handle most any 250f if kept on the pipe. The KX was a little easier to ride, and it absolutely ripped (I'm not a kawi guy either!).

were you racing mx though?

oh no thats not me in the video haha just a video i found on youtube. I was talking about how fast they're going and things they go over if its a dumb idea to go to a 125 or get maybe a 200

were you racing mx though?

Yes, I did some racing and trail riding with both of them.

how was it in the trails?

The 144sx was ok in the trails. Not too difficult if you don't mind using the clutch a little, and would be easier with a 13T front sprocket. The kx was really good for being a small-bore 2 stroke since it had more mid-range.