Sign in to follow this  

Soda Blasting

Tha looks awesome... I am always scrubbing and scrubbing with simple green, alcohol,etc. I can't wait to try it! Any idea what the ideal pressure is?

Any idea what the ideal pressure is?

All I know is the higher the better. Most home type compressors are not going to give you more than 125 psi and that works pretty good. IIRC, 175psi is ideal.

For anyone that has not ever used Soda blasting... DO NOT TRY THIS http://www.aircooled...p/soda_blaster/

It will cost you about $9.00 to try it out on a small part.. and $350 when you find out how great it works and you buy a real Soda Blaster.....

TRY this cheap blaster for under $10,,,,, just be ready for a new tool purchase... :lol:

Thats exactly what happend to me.

I found an old hand-held handi-blaster sand blaster thing in our shed. Filled it up with soda and it works AWESOME. Looks like a miracle grow sprayer or something. Has a jug on the bottom with a sprayer that looks like a garden hose sprayer. I went nuts cleaning things with it, lol.

*edit

Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-70HDG-Handi-Sand-Blaster/dp/B0006U66CA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Edited by juliend

You don't need 50 pounds of soda! 2-3 large boxes of regular baking soda would do a whole MX bike with an aluminum frame. There's no need for that much.

Thread in the Vintage forum: http://www.thumperta.../page__hl__soda

Here's my setup, there's a thick piece of copper wire supporting the end of the hose in the box so it doesn't curl up:

IMG_1446.jpg

Edited by Jeekinz

I used to have a sand blaster that was just a 5 gallon bucket with a sand blaster gun, some tubing and some type of fitting drilled into side of bucket down low. Worked pretty well even with coarse sand , would probably work real well with soda and fairly easy and cheap to build.

You don't need 50 pounds of soda! 2-3 large boxes of regular baking soda would do a whole MX bike with an aluminum frame. There's no need for that much.

Not a chance and what makes you think you know how much I need?

Also if you think Baking soda works good try using sodium bicarbonate thats made for blasters. It works better and you use less.

I had that same set up you are using 5 years ago when I did things on the cheap. Now I have a real blaster and yes, it works much better.

Not a chance and what makes you think you know how much I need?

Also if you think Baking soda works good try using sodium bicarbonate thats made for blasters. It works better and you use less.

I had that same set up you are using 5 years ago when I did things on the cheap. Now I have a real blaster and yes, it works much better.

Seriously?

I have a little experience with it. Even after all those builds, I wouldn't have used 50 pounds.

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Granted 50 LBS will last a long time but for $30 bucks.......................

A 72 CL350 that sat in a barn covered in $hit for 20+ years will take more than 3or4 boxes of soda.

Edited by crazy_dave

I probably I used 4 - 4# boxes on my 94 KX250 build. Every piece of bare aluminum was blasted. If you guys don't do a good cleaning and degreasing first you may run through more soda.

Yeah and a 94 only has 22 years less shit built up on it.

Try doing a barn find that has sat for many years and then get back to us.

Edited by crazy_dave

Also if you think Baking soda works good try using sodium bicarbonate thats made for blasters.

No difference, except one is processed as food grade and the other is not.

It works better and you use less.

Not in the 20 or so boxes of Baking soda I've used vs the two bags I bought from Eastwood

Harbor freight sells 50LBS bags for $30.

Or you can look around for sodium bicarbonate for pools.

You don’t get to post about buying Chinese crap from Harbor Freight, then claim to be no longer using a cheap anything

... :p