Sign in to follow this  

revalving conventional forks vs upgrading to USD forks?

I have a 2001 S which I have come to find out has few adjustments on the forks. I would like to upgrade the forks for a better feel, right now they are either too hard or too soft. I put in heavier weight oil to try and help it out but didn't really notice a difference. Quesion is: Is having Race Tech respring and install an emulator worth the money or just find a pair of USD forks? Or sell the 01 and get a new SM? I have a set of dirt wheels that rarely see time on the bike, but dirt can still be fun. Any thoughts? The more I read and investigate the more confused I get...

Thanks,

S

well, as I understand it you have s forks and 21"f and 18"r ?

based on your name I'll suppose you ride dirt mostly and not sumo.

you ride offroad... if so then dont bother with the sm inverted forks.

If you want to dial in your suspension (really) then you need a true suspension tuner to adjust your spring rate and fluid viscosity based on your weight and intended use. I dont know anyone in CA that I can reccomend. However, in NV contact Pro Action Bob at 702-476-8721. Bobs speciality is suspension but does motor and other work as well. This dude will hook you up!!!!

hope this helps

you have the 'basic' damper rod forks on your 2001 - sorry to say you can't polish a turd

They have no rebound damping adjustment and poor compression damping control due to the damper road type design

you can't revalve these forks - only fit RT emulators

get some 2002 or later 'S' model forks, or forks from the E model (the >2002 & E used the same forks) which are cartridge damper forks (ie have shim stacks) - these forks are much much better and you will be happy.

You can visually tell them from the rebound damping screw on the fork cap, where as the 2000/2001 forks have a preload adjuster

Even the full adjustable forks have a lot of room for improvement. The compression piston has very small and restrictive oil passages. Install racetech gold valves or drill out the oem piston flow holes and restack shims with a syn fork oil. I have done several of Gold valves on other bikes and wanted to try the drill mod on my 01 DRZe. It was a great improvement for mine... I used a Gold valve in the rear shock...nice

DanAllen - the name made when I was very new to the whole dual sport scene and fell over a lot.

I currently have 17's on the bike and have been doing more road than dirt for the past year. I would like to play in the dirt more, but would like to "dial in" the suspension for a better feel. Getting a newer fork from an S is probably the cheaper way to go.

Contact Eddie at Sisneros Speed Works and tell him what you are looking for....he will advise you the best direction to go.

If you are looking for a set of E forks, I have a very clean set with TAG Metals triples hanging on the wall in my garage....PM if interested. Heck, I could even take

them down to Eddie and drop them off for him to build to your specs if you'd like.....

Let me know.