CRF450X vs. 500 XC-W

Me not being a KTM guy, what do you find is bad with their suspension krannie?

I rode two brand new ktm 300s yesterday. One was a sixdays, but i couldn't ride it more than a few minutes because of how much i had to hunch over for the bars, and the other had risers and tall bars. That one i really enjoyed since it was comfortable for me. The suspension was night and day compared to my x. I really liked it. But then again, i havent touched my suspension other than fork seals and oil.

Since this thread is picking apart these two bikes like a Thanksgiving turkey, any comments on the PDS vs linkage, and where either shines or sucks? :ride:

Since this thread is picking apart these two bikes like a Thanksgiving turkey, any comments on the PDS vs linkage, and where either shines or sucks? :ride:

PDS is for achieving maxium traction at minimum throttle and speeds.

It sticks like glue over rocks and roots.

...but it has to be soft to work, so whoops are out, ledges and jumps are out.

Try and make it track worthy and it sucks at everything.

" Linkage " is like saying "water".....there's very good and very bad.

The X linkage is set up for high speed hits and still be reasonable fast and linear on the smaller stuff.

KTM's old linkage (pre 2016 SX version) is too linear for me. Hard to get the shock damping right. Never get a good feel of the rear wheel traction.

KTM's new linkage (2016 SX and probably 2017 XC lines) is very good. 

Beta's linkage is amazing. Feels like a well set up PDS going slow, but will take a good hit, thanks to the new Sachs Speed sensitive shock (and forks).

The X is still better for 45 mph gulleys and hidden boulders, for sure....

Cool...interesting info Krannie.

I am not a particularly fast rider offroad, maybe 45MPH on open trails. One place I love to ride is RRMT (http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com/plan-your-trip/directions), and there isn't a ton of opportunity to go faster there, at least for my style. It has many challenging areas (Last Man Standing was hosted there 2005-7, so the sky is the limit as far as how nasty you want your riding obstacles to be. In this context, I think the PDS you describe would be a benefit for me. It is quite opposed to the desert terrain you are blessed with as it has rocks, roots, sandwashes, arroyos, creeks, a river with a big dry sandbar, marbley chop, caliche, and plenty of trees. Occasional deer to avoid...

While the X is definitely a desert bike, it works well at places like RRMT for me, but t can be a bit heavy at times, most notably after I ride my CR or a buddy's CRF250R set up for trails. :)

Glad you like the Beta. I have seen a few on some of my rides, and am always intrigued by them.

Cool...interesting info Krannie.

I am not a particularly fast rider offroad, maybe 45MPH on open trails. One place I love to ride is RRMT (http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com/plan-your-trip/directions), and there isn't a ton of opportunity to go faster there, at least for my style. It has many challenging areas (Last Man Standing was hosted there 2005-7, so the sky is the limit as far as how nasty you want your riding obstacles to be. In this context, I think the PDS you describe would be a benefit for me. It is quite opposed to the desert terrain you are blessed with as it has rocks, roots, sandwashes, arroyos, creeks, a river with a big dry sandbar, marbley chop, caliche, and plenty of trees. Occasional deer to avoid...

While the X is definitely a desert bike, it works well at places like RRMT for me, but t can be a bit heavy at times, most notably after I ride my CR or a buddy's CRF250R set up for trails. :)

Glad you like the Beta. I have seen a few on some of my rides, and am always intrigued by them.

The BETA kicks ass. It handles soooo much better than the KTM's I've owned, and I poured money into them too...

Me too....

IMG_0010_zpsfgwdkmbx.jpgIMG_0012_zpsuj1zijef.jpg

Why didn't you get the optional longer kickstand?? Or was the rock cheaper.....................

You know the answer so why are you posting

I think the point he was making was that if Beta was a quality bike, the license plate holder would be made of solid Unobtainium, forged by Thor's Hammer and cut to size by Excalibur...just like the one that comes on the Honda CRF450X... :p

I think the point he was making was that if Beta was a quality bike, the license plate holder would be made of solid Unobtainium, forged by Thor's Hammer and cut to size by Excalibur...just like the one that comes on the Honda CRF450X... :p

He follows me around from forum to forum trying to bait me. 

It's old.....

I am 61 and have owned a 2008 450X  bought it new and uncorked it.  The bike was stiff, wildly uncontrollable and had no low end.  Not a woods bike for the pacific NW. At least not for me and my ability.  I could ride my  2004 XR250R faster and better in the woods than the CRF.

I took the plunge and bought a 2016 KTM 500 EXC.  Dual sport.  Street legal dirtbike.  I find it astonishing.  Broad linear power that seemingly never ends. Plush suspension, fine handler and a bike that loves to slide and goes where you point it.  It does not feel as fast as the punchy 450X.  But I can control it.  It feels like a 125 when you want it to, and a open class bike when you want that.  It is an incredible machine. 

Keep in mind my KTM is a EXC not the EXC-F. 

I am 61 and have owned a 2008 450X  bought it new and uncorked it.  The bike was stiff, wildly uncontrollable and had no low end.  Not a woods bike for the pacific NW. At least not for me and my ability.  I could ride my  2004 XR250R faster and better in the woods than the CRF.

I took the plunge and bought a 2016 KTM 500 EXC.  Dual sport.  Street legal dirtbike.  I find it astonishing.  Broad linear power that seemingly never ends. Plush suspension, fine handler and a bike that loves to slide and goes where you point it.  It does not feel as fast as the punchy 450X.  But I can control it.  It feels like a 125 when you want it to, and a open class bike when you want that.  It is an incredible machine. 

Keep in mind my KTM is a EXC not the EXC-F. 

The fact that you find and uncorked X hard to control explains a lot.

I found my 500 impossible to go fast on.

The fact that you find and uncorked X hard to control explains a lot.

I found my 500 impossible to go fast on.

and you are an ass.  take your opinions and shove them up your ass,  you don't know a thing about how I ride, this whole site has become shit.  Due to the likes of you.  Punk!  I am done with this forum crap