Sign in to follow this  

CR250 broke rod (warning graphical)

Was out riding MX yesterday when suddenly BAM and back wheel locked. There was a big hole under the crankcase and gearbox oil came out through it. This was a 1993 bike with a 1999 engine, new 1998 cylinder, wiseco piston, OEM crank.

All that survived was the gearbox and cylinder head. A sad day, and I need to look for a new engine. :cry:

DSC01472-730881.JPG

DSC01473-731394.JPG

ouch mate, thats got too hurt the wallet. Where you over winding that beast hah? :cry:

ouch mate, thats got too hurt the wallet. Where you over winding that beast hah? :cry:

Looks like it just hit the rev limiter

I wasn't over revving, it happened in the middle of the powerband actually.

can you get some closer pics to the area where the rod broke as well as the big end bearing?

No problem. Big end bearing still spins freely and has no noticeable play.

Click for bigger pictures.

DSC01475-726001.JPG

DSC01476-717377.JPG

DSC01478-704900.JPG

Wow, always makes me wonder what went wrong when I see a failure? Lack of lubrication? Repeated abuse, like pre-detonation, leading to fatigue? A manufacturer defect in the casting?

Anyhow, although that really sucks, glad you weren't hurt when the rear locked up on you.

Cause you're going to need your health to work for the money it is going to cost to replace your engine. :cry:

• Like 1

i thought OEM rods/cranks never fail...

Never is a long time, but you don't see that kind of rod failure very often with any 2-stroke crank. I'd suspect that the cause wasn't the rod itself.

Edited by CamP

:cry:

Never is a long time, but you don't see that kind of rod failure very often with any 2-stroke crank. I'd suspect that the cause wasn't the rod itself.

Agreed...Wiseco, OEM, whatever, they all have a story like this one before "never" comes. I'm too much of a noob to play detective on failures and all that, but like someone else said it's always a big ? what really did happen. Lack of lubrication is usually pretty obvious and takes place mainly with piston and cylinder, but a major failure like this....

:cry: When you say OEM cylinder, do you mean the one from 99? lol Or has it been rebuilt? Jetted correctly? Almost like something major came a loose and said I want OUT of this mad house of a motor. The 97-99 motors were known for being ultra-reliable. At least that's what I've been told since I have a 98, coulda been a crock, but it has been ultra-reliable as well.

Really sucks man, but sh!t happens to the best of them. That's how they get so experienced. At least you can look at as you'll have a new motor, but you gotta get the cases and all I'm sure, or another perspective if compare the cost of this scenario to one of those silly 4t motors :ride: Just find you one already built up and :p

Edited by BlackCR25098

what i said was in jest. i just thought it was funny that if "OEM" was replaced with wiseco/hotrods/*insert aftermarket crank brand here*, youd have a whole gaggle of people in here bashing them, but once its an OEM failure, nobody has anything to say.

what i said was in jest. i just thought it was funny that if "OEM" was replaced with wiseco/hotrods/*insert aftermarket crank brand here*, youd have a whole gaggle of people in here bashing them, but once its an OEM failure, nobody has anything to say.

OEM is a better part than any of the China/Taiwan cranks, but that doesn't mean they never fail.

An engine failure that traumatic is pretty rare. Sorry for the bad luck. These are typically some of the most reliable engines made during that time period.

If you are looking for a new engine I have one I could spare. It's a 1993. It has a steel cylinder sleeve installed. Last time I rode this engine was about 3 years ago, ran perfect. All gears worked, clutch worked great. Power was great. I've got a few pictures I could send you if interested. Though shipping to Finland might be cost prohibitive.

OEM is a better part than any of the China/Taiwan cranks, but that doesn't mean they never fail.

Yep, gotta be realistic about that...It's almost like Ford vs. Chevy trucks...Each has their fair share of stories, and each wind up on the side of the road, except my chevy has never left me stranded for the decade I've had it :cry:

I always think of quality when I think OEM and always replace MOST all parts with OEM...I was talked into the Wiseco piston on mine, because Eric Gorr actually pointed out that the OEM piston was a flaw for my short year range pistons, and the Wiseco was actually an upgrade or "fix"...

That and all the other guys who swear by them. It's been great, but then again I take care of my stuff...If you don't, don't matter what brand it is...it will fail.