Sign in to follow this  

Any 40+ guys here?

Bout to turn 51 and ride my style,which is a lot different than when I was 20.It's all in fun and for the love of the sport.

Just turned 43 and am back into it after 25yrs,well I got my bike(CRF250X)then I had to have surgery so I've only ridden it around the 'hood.

Pit biked it the past 2 yrs and am ready to move up.

I started riding at about 5 on a Honda QA50,then an XR75 at 8,that lasted til about 12 then there was no where to ride.

At 16 I got a $300 RM125 and started riding the Indian Reservation thats like 100yds from my house.

Got a brand new CR250 at 17,crashed it,it was financed,then repo'd when I was 19.

Got a crappy china pit bike a few years ago and never rode it,my buddy finally bought a couple for him and his kid,so we rode 1 season w/ the kid,1w/o.

Mine fell apart after 2 rides,so I bought a used SSR,put the new engine in it and a bunch of useless bling.Finally got it setup and running right and said,its time to move up,I cant wait on anybody,if I do I'll never ride.So I bought my '04 CRF250X a couple months ago knowing I had surgery and couldnt ride,but it was the right deal and I had to jump on it.

So I figure I have until atleast 50 to ride,so screw everyone else,I'm street legalling my bike and going for it.

Will probably be up and running in a couple weeks.

I Plan on riding this bike a couple years at most,then selling and getting a 450.

Cool to see quite a few over 40's!!! :ride:

turned 50 today and been riding since i was 10. one shattered lower leg, one broken foot and assorted bruises and cuts. i can't imagine life without two wheels, and have fond memories of every single bike i've had.

allbikes.jpg

i was lucky enough to grow up in a motorbike-mad family and riding weekends were common, whether we were all on separate bikes or just the one.

famonbike.jpg

definitely don't heal as fast so trying to slow down nowadays, but of course there are times you just have to twist the throttle and fly through the forest! i think it's something people who don't ride just won't understand. a while back i put together a video with footage from our rides that tried to explain why we have to ride...

• Like 4

Nice video Oz DRZ :thumbsup: You are correct, non-riders will never understand. I don't know about the rest of you, but when i swing my leg over the bike and head down the trail the world and all the pressure just seem to stay in the parking lot, nothing puts me at peace better then a trail ride with friends.

I haven't ridden the bike for 2 weeks now and I'm having major withdrawls and rather cranky, time to hound the riding buddies and get a ride planned out for next weekend, with all the fires burning on the East side of the State looks like we'll be riding on the wet side. Oh well, riding is riding

I'll be 41 next month, been into this sport heavy since 96', and I wish I had more time to ride, current job has me working weekends but I will ride till I just can't.

40. From a 5hp B and S scooter when I was 8 to XR this and that till I was 17. Then rode street. I've owned Magna, Shadows, Vmax, GSXR600 Hayabusa about every three and four wheeler made. KX250 a few years back back didnt ride it much. Sold it my Busa and my Vstar. Happend on a YZ450f. I'm officially hooked and may never go back to street. When my knee gets straightend out I'm gonna start Enduros and harescrambles. Right now looking for a bike for my son when he gets back from overseas. I've tried over the years to quit I keep going back. I've officially quit fighting it. Life was mean to be spent on 2 wheels. I ride alone for now. My wife and daughter are atv riders. It would be nice to have folks to ride with on two wheels but I'll take what I can get. Like many have said if you ride within our comfort zone. Age means nothing.

I sold my 09' KX250F last year after a pretty good crash that left me with broken ribs and a punctured lung and two missed weeks of work, my wife had just recovered from an incident where she hit a tree on her 08' CRF 150 and left her very banged up. We sold the bikes thinking that maybe its time to hang up the gear. The problem is I've had dirtbikes ever since I was big enough to ride a KX60 and I plain love being on two wheels. Are there many 40+ yr old guys out there and what did you do? Just changed your riding style or what? At 38yr I was still doing the 90-100ft doubles and riding like I was when I was a kid. A little advice would be great even though I'm pretty sure I know what the census will be. :)

Ride in the woods and stay off the track. Lots of real good guys that are in the same boat you are that gather and ride woods. I'm 46 and still ride woods ( always has been woods) Time to tone it down a bit and you can still have a lot of fun running enduro. Turkey runs, camping, etc!!! You don't have to blaze like a AA rider to have fun.

turned 50 today and been riding since i was 10. one shattered lower leg, one broken foot and assorted bruises and cuts. i can't imagine life without two wheels, and have fond memories of every single bike i've had.

allbikes.jpg

i was lucky enough to grow up in a motorbike-mad family and riding weekends were common, whether we were all on separate bikes or just the one.

famonbike.jpg

definitely don't heal as fast so trying to slow down nowadays, but of course there are times you just have to twist the throttle and fly through the forest! i think it's something people who don't ride just won't understand. a while back i put together a video with footage from our rides that tried to explain why we have to ride...

Great pics ... I had some of the same bikes

52 year old here

allbikes.jpg

famonbike.jpg

Happy,happy birthday!!! :thumbsup:

I'm 46 and have ridden since I was a little kid, I've had more than my share of broken bones and injuries, but none very recently. I have changed my riding style quite a bit in the last 5-6 years, I have more of a momentum style, carry more speed through corners, lighter on the throttle and always up a gear. I find this style makes me smoother, faster and with better steering accuracy I crash less. I also generally ride at about 75-85% of my capability, that little bit also helps keep me off the ground. The above also helps me to economize energy, easy to start making mistakes when you're exhausted.

I've also learned to become familiar with where I'm riding before I turn it up, I don't like surprises. I mostly just enjoy woods play riding, but might do an ISDE or Hare Scramble now and then.

Conditioning is important for any rider, that gets a little tougher as an old dude, it goes away faster and I have a more serious career now, which makes finding time for fitness more challenging. I hope to be doing this another 20+ years

• Like 1

Conditioning is important for any rider, that gets a little tougher as an old dude, it goes away faster and I have a more serious career now, which makes finding time for fitness more challenging. I hope to be doing this another 20+ years

About a year ago, I started lobbying TT to have a sub-forum for OVER 40 riders (or maybe over 45 or even 50). The issues for riders that age are completely different that for the 22 year old. Training, riding approach, safety gear, handling injuries, etc. are totally different. And with the baby boomer gen getting to that age bracket, I think it would be hugely popular. I was told NO, just blend in. I STILL think it's a good idea. Unless others join in the lobbying effort, it will never happen.
  • Like 1

I am 49. I bought this awhile back. Rode it some.

2kklrc.jpg

Decided I wanted to ride the dirt and traded it for this

xvgh1.jpg

I mostly ride dirt roads and fire trails. But love it

Edited by dispatch510

42 and still going strong. Recently sold my Vstrom and stopped riding the streets....big wreck and too many close calls ruined the fun of it, but offroad I feel safer and know there's not much chance I'll die riding the trails. So, I still hit the dirt every chance I get. My biggest recommendation for older guys is to take care of yourself....exercise and eat right. The fitter you are, the better you ride and the more resistant to injury you'll be, including healing.

• Like 1

Happy,happy birthday!!! :thumbsup:

thanks alan! celebrating with a dirt ride last saturday, last sunday, a dirt ride today, and another dirt ride tomorrow. i just hope this half a century old body copes okay. :ride:

i stand 90% of the time when dirt riding but might have to start sitting more. :cry: the old fingers ache for a few days after every ride despite regular riding. stegz pegs have helped but realizing the body ain't what it used to be.

naked-old-man-rides-motorcycle.jpg

• Like 2

thanks alan! celebrating with a dirt ride last saturday, last sunday, a dirt ride today, and another dirt ride tomorrow. i just hope this half a century old body copes okay. :ride:

i stand 90% of the time when dirt riding but might have to start sitting more. :cry: the old fingers ache for a few days after every ride despite regular riding. stegz pegs have helped but realizing the body ain't what it used to be.

naked-old-man-rides-motorcycle.jpg

I see your wearing the all new FOX SEE THROUGH TOTAL BODY ARMOR PROTECTION SYSTEM. :lol: It really work's!!! :thumbsup:Now If I only had that helmet and a Joffa mouth guard I would feel more MOTOCROSSY.You really need to be wearing glove's. :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

I am 49 and started on a XR75 back at age 12, been riding

off and on ever since. Mostly on the street until my son of

11 yrs of age wanted to ride so I am back on the dirt with

him as well. I have a HD Ultra Classic for touring, he has a

Honda CRF100F and I have a CRF450R for the riding that

we do together, trails and track and YES HAVING A BLAST!!!!

• Like 1

Turned 55 this summer. Sold my harley and bought 7 dirt bikes. i know i can't ride all 7 but they look cool lined up in the shop. 2003 pw80 - 2004 cr85 - 2006 ttr125 - 1995 tw200 - 2003 klx300r - 2007 yz450 - 2005 wr450 plated. Want to go for a ride, not a problem. Been buying riding gear on craigslist during the summer when it's cheap and got a mesh crash jacket at cycle gear. Done some dusty rides this summer and looking forward to some rain in central california. This forty and over thing has a life of it's own and deserves better than to blend in. Stan

• Like 2

This forty and over thing has a life of it's own and deserves better than to blend in. Stan

And the more I read from older riders, the more I believe that. Just the fact that we're on page 8 of this thread shows it. EVERY thread like this TT has had

has run and run with many pages.

46 here, been riding since I was 7. I also took 20 yrs off and came back 3 years ago on a YZ450. I mostly ride on MX tracks cause of the lack of options in my area but its great fun. I figure after the next "Big One" I can re-evaluate and drive for the trails.

I also would be interested in a 40+ header. It seems like it would be a popular ongoing topic.

Drag raced for 25 years played hockey for 30+ years. Married into a dirt bike family 2 years ago. Quit racing and playing hockey, sold the car trailer and bought the wife and I older XR's. I will be 41 later this year and she will be 35. Riding is more fun the racing any day. We ride with her dad who turned 69 this year. Her 7 year old daughter is learning on a quad now and will be on a bike next year.