XR650R BIG GUN EXHAUST SYSTEM

Hey! I had a Big Gun race series full system on my 650R last year, and it was a piece of junk! Terrible fit, leaked, cracked, then fell apart at the seams!!! DO NOT GET ONE !!!! Try FMF or White Brothers.

The big gun pipe did make great power improvements however, but I'm sure most of the aftermarket pipes do. When I say power improvement, I don't mean "more" power, I just mean a smoother, flatter power delivery with better top end response and less low end hit. If you have ever ridden a YZ426 or CRF450, then that's what it kinda felt like, very flat but very strong power band, as opposed to the normal 650R power spread which is nothing but tons of low end.

good luck finding a pipe! Avoid the Big Gun junk!

L.L.

OH yeah forgot to mention this. I put the stock pipes back on, stock silencer too, but modified the 40mm tip by cutting off the spark arrester screen and the baffle cap, leaving only the 40mm tip with bell reducer. This mod improves flow and helps with the upper rpms.

If you want a pipe that's a work of art, then look at the Moriwaki. I've seen it in person and it's just awesome in terms of looks, quality of welds, etc. The few people I've talked with that own them are very happy. I just don't know if it will pass California's 96 dba sound requirements. I've very happy with the stock header and HRC tip and this combo actually produced more power than some of the aftermarket setups based on the pipe shootout articles done a while back. Here's the link to the Moriwaki.

http://www.bigvalleyhonda.com/racing/Moriwaki_XR650.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Pro Circiut's pipes were on the majority of XR650R's I saw racing the Baja 1000 last month. There seems to be a lot of difference in the power different aftermarket pies make for the BRP. In my experience larger diameter head pies of equal lenght hit the hardest (ei. Doma, Pro circuit) especially up top. FMF and other which follow the stock type layout are smother without quite as much up top.

I have not owned a BIG GUN system yet people I've talked to seem pretty divided. The best I can figure from thier response is that the BIG GUN's make good power, but if you ride a lot of rough stuff they break.

Doma was difficult to fit (I wrapped it as it was going to touch everywhere, the head pipes, radiators, cylinder, case covers, etc.) But when I cranked up and twisted it it made me smile bigger than FMF or White Bros.

get one thats quiet. If it is louder then 96db at 3500RPM...dont bother

Yep. I remember a few years back Dirt Bike mag did a pipe shootout for the 650R. Every one of them struggled to make more peak power then the HRC insert stocker (with many trading off bottom end power to do that) while ALL were louder. Some were ridiculously loud. Despite awareness campaigns that go back to the seventies and land use issues everywhere, in many cases we're still not getting it!