Sign in to follow this  

race sag for off road

whats the closest race sag i should have for me. i weigh about 215 give or take. i ride woods and most of the trails are high speed with miles of medium to deep woops. plus alot of tight cornering. im just looking for a base line to work from.

sag is sag. type of riding should have no bearing on the amount. spring rate will determine if you can get correct. if your asking if you should be near the min or max setting of let's say 4" to see what works best then I would say nose high would be good for whoops but would push in turns and vise versa.

there is one problem, the bike doesnt have the original spring so im not sure what spring rate is on it.

For a rough estimate of spring matching your weight...when you set the sag at 4" the spring should be compressed between 3/8" and 3/4" - if less than that the spring is on the stiff side for your weight, if more than that it is probably a bit soft - . One thing is to set the sag at 4", ride in the kind of terrain you frequent and then you can adjust for more or less preload. I usually end up setting sag on my KDX's a bit more than 4", as the action seems better through stutters and such (which I always ride a lot of) with no reduction in steering ability. i have no idea why there's a line through all my typing...LOL...

Edited by SPUTTER

^^^^^ what line? LOL.

yes you need to check for static sag(how much bike sags under it's own weight) and laden sag (you with all gear, bike with fuel and you in a normal riding position) too much static and spring is too light and too little and it's too stiff. for what it's worth I am 220 and run a yz450 5.7 kg titanium spring on mine and it works for getting both sags in the range. if you have the stock spring 5.1 to 5.3 ish, I would say it ain't gonna do it. what happens is it will squat too far into the leverage range of travel and will feel rather harsh. I think most kx250's benefit from less sag or approx 95 mm. tends to help them turn better. they are not known for being honda or zuki sharp

Edited by hodgkins

the spring isn't stock. someone had the local suspension shop do their work. i got my manual out and set it to stock and adjusted the sag from there. with me on it, i was able to set it to a 4 inch sag without much adjustment. it will be a good starting point once i get her running.

It does not matter if it is the stock spring or not. Set your race sag to 100mm, then measure your static sag. That will tell you if the spring is correct for your weight or not.

Race sag = 100mm

Static sag = ??? (determined after race sag is adjusted to 100mm)