2013 Honda Off-Road Line-up Announced

I think the japs are leaving OR bikes for all of these above reasons, but the clincher was when KTM *finally* took the hit a few years ago and lowered their bikes' prices. The race-woods became orange, seemingly overnight. I am even seeing more and more orange at the track. Entire families show up running KTM's now. Just 5yrs ago if one KTM showed up, everyone noticed it.

I have a feeling that the next bike I buy will be orange again. They build things to last:cheap to own with a killer resale value to boot...

I think that one of these years soon, we will only have two viable dirtbike choices: an $$$-but-worth-it ~KTM, or a "half-priced-but-not-halfed-in-quality" chinese made "clone bike". Like that crf450-clone selling in Australia pretty hard. Swap the engine for a heavier-but-bulletproof XR-type engine, and that would be the bomb for 65% of the adult db market.

I already own a hi-perf "PitsterPro" midsize super-mini, dirt cheap compared to what it takes to mod a KLX110 to match it...and its chinese AS-01 cartridge forks are as good as anything in my entire garage.

Apologies to the OP; this thread is officially way off topic. (Or is it?)

Just because they didn't talk about the 450X and 250X in the press release doesn't mean the bikes are going away.

They often leave out the "competition" offroad bikes (450X and 250X) when they announce new models or drastic changes to one of the MX bikes in the early summer.

Edited by ThunderChicken

I think the japs are leaving OR bikes for all of these above reasons, but the clincher was when KTM *finally* took the hit a few years ago and lowered their bikes' prices.

I don't recall KTM ever lowering prices, they just never raised them as much as the other brand. When I was looking at 2T ktm models over the last decade they had price increases every year. I assume the 4T are the same. They've been doing roughly 2-3% every year.

Edited by kan3

Sorry,

I just read the sentance where you said there is no street legal crfx. That's not true. There are no street legal crfxs in some states. They can be plated in others.

I think it was pretty obvious that he was talking street legal from the factory and not converted bikes.

Is it a case of them thinking, "Hey, all the pros in the offroad world raced modified mx bikes anyway..."? Unlikely, but I figured I'd ask.

However, the X is pretty dominant in Baja, right?

They were dominant but they also had no competition

kan3,

you must be a youngster

=]

used to be that KTM's were usually almost a grand higher than a jap bike.

This is sorta true if you're talking 15+ years ago which is pretty far scretch from "a few years" you mentioned in your first post. Even 10 years ago a 250sx was only $200 more than a yz250. My point still stands that KTM never dropped their prices, everyone else just raised theirs at a faster rate.

Edited by kan3