Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Gold Lake/Jamestown trails

The Boulder M.V.U.M. shows some trails heading west from Jamestown towards Gold Lake. They are marked 331, 509 and 102.

Yesterday I drove up there to check them out. There was more than one sign saying "No Forest Access" and 331 is closed ahead. I drove for awhile, but eventually just gave up, turned around and went up to ride Bunce School road instead.

So what is the deal? Are those ridable roads/trails there or not? I thought the MVUM was the golden definition of

what is legal and open, and I try to play by the rules, frustrating as it is. So why is this marked as closed?

I have read here about the crackdown on the single track in the area, and I've heard that the gate is closed at

Gold Lake. I wasn't looking to poach. I was looking for a little easy riding with my son and I was just curious about what was available around there since I've never ridden any of it.

Carl

"When trails are outlawed, only outlaws will ride trails"

Unfortunately, those trails were closed a few years ago by an illegal closure by the Black Rose Mine, Gold Hill Lake Reasort, and Jamestown locals. The FS still lists the trails as open (I think), but there are now gates (as you saw) limiting access to a few lucky horse riding locals.

The funny thing is I was part of a mine cleanup down the road from the top closure last year, while they were doing some fire mitigation, and saw one of those automated cutting machines pop a hole in his fuel tank and spill 80+ gallons of fuel up there.

The trails were awesome, but the FS refuses to do anything about the closure.

There are 250,000 acres in the Boulder Ranger District and only 7 miles of legal motorized singletrack. Call the Boulder Ranger District and express your dissapointment over what appears to be an illegal closure, and the lack of ridable areas. The pressure we have exerted over the last 5-ish years has resulted in discussions of opening up West Magnolia trails to dirt bikes (again, we started most of those trails), so they are FINALLY listening.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the west mag trails opened to motos...I ride both moto and mt bike, and the attitude from mt bikers towards motos up there, is "get off of OUR trails". The FS is on their side unfortunately. 7 miles of singletrack in the entire county for motos is ridiculous, hopefully the FS will figure this out.

Realize most of the riders up there on the weekends are from out of town; the local riders are mostly mixed moto/mountain bikes like us. Most ride the trails on the weekdays, or at night anyway. West mag was mostly laid in by local motos in the 70s and 80s. There used to be around 200 miles of singletrack in the district.

There was a meeting a couple weeks ago in Nederland about the trails, the closure for this summer, and the trails south of west mag. The FS, and the local riders both seemed open to the idea of designating some trails mixed use, designating existing moto trails as moto and/or allowing motos on certain days. I think the FS is starting to realize that illegal trails are being built, and there is essentially nothing they can do about it.

If the Boulder Ranger district gets enough pressure, I am pretty sure we will see some new designations or new trails over the next 5 - 10 years. The recreation manager, Christine (I think, I just can't remember right now) is willing to designate trails and even build new ones - they are looking for leadership and management groups to take the responsibility on.

I wasn't at that meeting, but I know some folks that were, and I got the impression that the trails they were talking about designating moto were mostly south of Rollinsville, headed towards Apex. I have ridden over there, and sorry, but that terrain is mostly rock, and I don't see a lot of viable trail options. We have scouted that area out in the past for just this reason, and came away not impressed.

I would love to be proved wrong, until then, stealth is the watchword!

I lived south of Rollinsville for six years, before moving last week (bummer, used to be able to ride out my back door). We are not talking about the same area. I'd say exactly where it is, but stealth is the word. There are a lot of trails in the area, and the FS is open to new trails to help create a loop. The problem was, and still is, nobody is stepping up to write the proposal, map the trails, etc.

Once I am done moving, I intend to still go back. The trails are awesome, and pretty much unknown outside of the locals.

• Like 1

HI-

You should join http://www.bouldercountytrailriders.com/

We are the group that represents riders' interests to the Boulder Ranger District. It there were legit conversations with them about "west mag" we would be part of the conversation. Unfortunately, we know how difficult it would be to get any of that "zoned" as motorcylce permitted. It's a very long haul, but it's something we would support. I don't know that a mention at a Ned town hall meeting is sufficient support, or at the right level. I miss most Ranger District meetings myself, but someone from BCTR is always present. I am hard pressed to believe it will ever be high on their agenda if we dont' know about it. But I learn something new every day.

For the record, the rank and file at the BRD love us. We run sound check days. We clean up the bullshit mess at the shooting range most years. We spend a Saturday rebuilding water bars etc. on the 7 miles of single track we have at LHOHV. We have worked very hard thge past 3 years to become the legittimate voice of dirtbikes in Boulder County. We need your energy and participation.

Membership is free. If you have the energy, we'll make you an officer!

Lennie is the only Ned local I ever knew, and he gave up moto many years ago as far as I know. But we would love local knowledge to be part of our group. Our moderated google group is the only place safe from the public to talk of such trails, by the way. I encourage you not to post on a public forum about social trails etc. I have run into too many clueless Denverites on bikes up there that don't know or care for the regulations. Rogue riders do not help our cause. If it's not on the MVUM, it's not ridable. Period. Though I might know some guys who know a guy who knows all that shit. And of course he is pissed because he knows dirtbikes burned all that trail and now the mountain bike guys have coopted it as their own Private Idaho and want us off. That's how they drive the wedge. First they say it's motorized travel, and the mountainbikes are OK if they side against us, next it's all "mechanized" travel, and guess what, now the wedge is the hikers and equestrians. Finally, no one is allowed and you can rent the DVD if you want to experience your national forest.

Sorry to rant. Not directed at you. But these are the facts. Join http://www.bouldercountytrailriders.com/

-Doug

Keep up the fight guys. Maybe someday we'll get back the trails. If nobody tries, I can guarantee the result.

It is frustrating with the mtn bike advocates. When I was only a mtn biker, I used to belong to IMBA but once I picked up moto I realized how short sighted they are. Once we (moto)are ejected from the mix, as Doug says, mtn bikes will be next...then it will be only horses and hikers. This irritates me to no end and years ago I asked IMBA about things and why they won't work with moto but naturally got no response. I dropped their membership and support only moto pro-access groups now.

I still wish there was a club in Denver (preferable south Denver because I live 45 min SE of there) that organized stuff where members could meet, tell lies, organize rides and where trail work was organized and access issues discussed and acted upon. I know of such groups in lots of places, but not Denver. Why I don't know.

Doug-

Good to see a group has formed; I don't know how we missed it. I've been talking with the ranger district for sever years or so now, and what they need is a motivated group to find grants and build trails. If you'all can do that, I'm in to help. Our group of about 6 local riders has never made that leap, but I can likely boost your membership with Ned and Gilpin riders.

I agree 100% that with motivation from our side, the BRD is open to new trails, and new disignations. I appreciate all the work you'all have done, but I respectfully disagree on a couple points. I think organizations such as your group are great, and needed, but not every comment has to come from a group. I have found, after calling nearly every ranger district and BLM office in the state, that unaffiliated individuals are just as listened to, if not more. Just taking a few minutes to make a phone call supporting efforts to include motos in MVUM mapping helps big time.

I agree that "rouges" don't help motos, but I continue to ride the historically moto trails in the area, unless they are signed closed. If you know the area(s) I am talking about, it may help explain my decision. I feel that these areas were "purposefully overlooked" by the district when the MVUM was created, and never went through the designation process. Just my decision, applying to about 10 miles of singletrack that should have been included, are not hiked very often, and the FS knows about. We have to go somewhere, and I ain't stopping riding a trail in my backyard after 10 years because one day the FS overlooked it...

In terms of moto vs. mountain biking - I think the mountain bikers are coming around to the FACT that they will be next.

Edited by mine_man

Hi mine-man.

I'd never discourage any individual from pestering the NFS individually. Have at them. We'd appreciate having you and your Ned/Gilpin buddies as part of our group, too.

I went to many of the MVUM meetings. The measure was not "if a trail existed". The measure was if the trail had a marker/sign on it. No marker/sign, no inclusion on the MVUM, no matter how historical, well established or well used. So although not signed "no motos" (yet) , those trails were taken off the table when the MVUM was finalized. The real hurdle to "new" trails (even if they are simply designations to existing trails) is the environmental impact studies that are required.

-Doug

Doug-

Thanks for the reply. I love what organizations such as your group can do, but I feel that some members of are community think that supporting them is enough - the reality is that membership is just the start. If everybody called a ranger district or BLM office once a week to voice support for moto trails, I think a lot of 'em would really start listening. Showing up at the BLM office with a pickup load of trash collected from the area each visit helps too. Kudos nonetheless, and I will be signing up with your group soon. I bet we have already met...

The EIS is a real hurdle - almost seems to be used by the FS as an excuse. I guess riding the trails after the quick and dirty MVUM process is my form of civil disobedience. I hope one day the BRD will wake up, designate the trails, and give us real place to ride.

I, for one, love to point out the following math when dealing with the BRD - if you assume a singletrack trail impacts 25' of forest on each side of the trail, you get a total impact of about 6 acres per mile. The area of trals in question is around 3 miles by 5 miles - or about 9,600 acres. I believe 10 miles of trail exist - therefore the total impact from the entire network of trails is 60 acres/9,600 acres, which is an amazing 0.625% of disturbance. Otherwise known as, nothing.

Thanks again, dude. Hope to legally ride those trails with you someday.

Folks - thanks for this discussion. End of last summer I moved back to Longmont area following a 7 years hiatus in SE Denver. I'm not riding too much now due to projects at the new house & kids but I did get up to LHC to see the changes.....I'll join the the BCTR group and hope to make the district meeting this month (5pm June 28th?). I think the NTCR group has done a great job working with the FS a bit more north. - Maybe that's a model work toward.

Cheers - Ridge

Next meeting, Thursday June 21st at 5:00pm.

Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder

303-541-2500.

Agenda:

1) Schedule next meeting - All

2) Grants

Jenny Creek Re-Route (Bev) - Build new road above Jenny Creek that will bypass private property.

3) Adopt-A-Road Projects / Volunteer Projects

Spring Gulch/Bell Gulch (Colleen/Naomi) - Sign monitoring.

Lefthand Canyon Cleanup (Dave) - Sep 29, 9am to noon.

Lefthand Plan (Cat) - Status.

Ice Spider FR??? Fireman's Ladder FR??? (Cat) - winch anchors.

Post and Cable decision for district (Cat) - Decision?

Gillespie Gulch (Adam) - Open?

Status on Allenspark shooting closure (Cat) - Decision?

Lefthand Project (Adam) - May 19, 9am. Repaired 5-Points kiosk.

Caribou FR505 (Stan) - City of Boulder, fencing needed. Review June 16.

Kingston Peak FR353 (Stan) - Jun 1, review.

Jenny Creek FR502.3 (Marco) - Aug 18 cleanup/signing. Sep 20 repair work.

Middle St. Vrain FR114 (Adam) - Project review May 26, 10am parking lot. Obstacle Project June 9, 9am.

Middle St. Vrain (Adam) - Seasonal opening, tree removal, water bar work June 23-24, 9am.

Park Creek FR203 T-33 crash site interpretive sign (Dave) - Review Jun 22.

4) Motorized Trail Projects - (Bill H/Dave K)

Lefthand Motorcycle Trails (Dave) - Water bar project Apr 21.

Ub-c Open (Dave) - Route number, name.

Bark Beetle Training (Cat) - New required training video for all volunteers on National Forest projects.

http://www.wlrv.org/community/leader-resources.html

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects

related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Forest Service projects list are online at

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/state-level.php?co

Scroll down to find the forest your interested in.

---------------------------------------------

On Hold till 2013:

Coney Creek FR507 Sink hole user routes project.

Castle Gulch volume/route control - projects with land owners.

Keep up the fight guys. Maybe someday we'll get back the trails. If nobody tries, I can guarantee the result

I still wish there was a club in Denver (preferable south Denver because I live 45 min SE of there) that organized stuff where members could meet, tell lies, organize rides and where trail work was organized and access issues discussed and acted upon. I know of such groups in lots of places, but not Denver. Why I don't know.

CMTRA is located in the Springs.......sounds like it may be what you're looking for and about an equal distance from your location: http://cmtrail.org/