Moving up from a 150f

hey guys, im just looking for some input on hopefully getting a new bike!

so last year i got my first dirtbike (ive ridden snowmobiles forever) since i was about 6, a 2004 CRF150F. It was a great beginners bike and taught me all the basics but im ready to move up.

Mostly i ride at my friends houses, a few have some feilds with some little homemade tracks, and messing around with little(5-10 foot) jumps .

Either way im really stringing my bike out: power, suspension and overall size.

I do plan to hopefully this weekend go to a localish track (first time) and if i enjoy it i plan to go back often. Im also trying to get into riding trails.. i've found a couple buddies to ride with and and hoping to get some good hours in this year.

Me: i'm 16, about 5'8, 150 lbs (strong enough that picking up a dropped bike wont be an issue)

Riding the sh*t out of my 150 and need a bigger bike. I'm a cautious rider in general, until i get comfortable at least ?

Im looking for a good bike, can be taken on both track and trail. (not going to be raced at all) and one i could probably feel comfortable on. I feel i'm a good rider for only having a bike for less than a year. i'm pretty sure i could handle the power of a 250f.

I was thinking of either a 250f, kdx 200/220 or something like a kx100/sx105.

what do you guys think? any other ideas?

I feel like the kx100 would be too small for me and id outgrow it quickly.

and for the 250f/kdx i dont know how versitile they would be or how well they would do on something they werent really made for.

I have price range of about 3000 max. maybe a little more for a reallly good deal.

Here are two of the better 250's ive been looking at.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2006-Kawasaki-kx250f-W0QQAdIdZ376565673

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-YZ250F-NEED-GONE-W0QQAdIdZ383622733

For snowmobile i bleed blue, plus i've heard some great things about the yamaha's as far as reliability and bottom end power goes.

A yami would be my first choice, but i also like the kawi's.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. any advice on buying used bikes, or maybe another bike that might work well for me. any input is appreciated!

and if you're in the same position as me feel free to pitch in

Thanks guys, Shane

At your size and weight, I wouldn't even consider a KX 100, KTM 105 SX, etc. They are too small. If you ride track and open areas, a 250F would work great. KX 250F have very strong motors and YZ 250F are a good all around bike. Depending on if you ride trails more, you could look into a WR 250 or a CRF 250X. They would still work for casual track riding and are great in the trails. I have a KDX 200 and ride trails and a great deal of open areas and it works perfect. When I took it to a track, thats where I found the suspension was bad but works great for me in the trails in stock form. However, you could always switch out the stock forks for some KX ones and ride track casually just fine. My friend rode a CRF 150F for 2 years and had it mastered and moved up to a CRF 250R and rides very good with it here in he muddy, rockey eastern coast trails. So basically, if I was you, I would get any 250F that you can find in your price range in the best condition if you are gonna ride track and your trails aren't too technical. A 250F will work in technical trails with practice however. If your gonna ride almost all trails and minimal track, go for a KDX. They can be found in good condition for cheap and have cheap parts. You could always spend the money saved by getting a KDX and mod it into a nice track bike. Good luck. You can't go wrong as long as you're out there riding ?

That's true, riding around my couple acres for a half hour always puts me in a good mood, and I have a feeling I'm going to be riding more trak.. There's a track about 40 minutes from my hous.. Trails (wherewere allowed to rid) re a little bit farther and it's harder for me cause you need a few buddies who like to ride trails a lot and know were they're going

Have you considered a 250 2t? I was in the same position as you last week except I'm a year older 5'10 but the same weight, I was thinking about buying a 250f but buying a used 4t scared me into buying a 250 2t because if the previous owner didn't do maintenance on the 4t the it would cost alot more to fix then a 2t in the same situation(if something were to go wrong) so I went out and baught a 2008 KTM 250SX and I am loving it, its so much fun to ride compared to my old 150 :ride: I don't think I will be needing more power for a long time ?

I also live in ontario when you say a track 40 mintues away are you talking about motopark ??

Edited by Soltez

No I'm talkig about RJ's in Barrie:) which as a matter of fact I went to today with my 150 and had a blast in all the mud and muck! And idk.. I'm just not feeling the 250 2t.. Its just way more power than I want/need... Thanks for the idea though!

I'm 16, 5'11, and Got my first bike, a '99 yz 250, and have a blast on it. It is a great bike everywhere- track trails dunes... And is low maintenance. My buddies on 250f's seem broken down quite a bit compared my bike. If you don't like the idea of a 250 2t maybe look at the kdx/ktm 200. I've heard/ seen good things about those bikes