B4 I start modding my drz, should I get a different bike?

I have a 2007 bone stock drz except for the sprocket change to make it more streetable.

I put 16/39 on it and it loves the 2 lane highway much more however I lost some torque obviously.

Before I start throwing parts at it (FCR, full pipe, maybe big bore?) should I have bought a different bike?

I do 80 to 90% street... and my 10 to 20% trail isnt real aggressive... I do some hill climbing on rare occasion as well.

I'm 48 years young, and weigh 250, and am 5'10. I will never do aggressive trail or dirt riding.. just mostly put around but I LIKE

torque... I want a bike that will pull like a tractor....

I am not in the position to go buy anything new, or so expensive that I would need to borrow money.

My budget is either put 1,000 in my bike, put a 1,000 with my bike and get something better suited.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what your stylings are for a bike but if your only going to do 10% trails, I would say get a more street oriented bike and pick up a cheap older dirtbike(one from 80's). An sv650 would be a nice bike, also any type of cruiser. Once again, preference. I love my drz but I do 70% 40% street and trails. But I'll let some of the more experienced chime in. Either way, good luck!

Well,

If you are doing mostly street with the occasional light trail, and at your weight and if you like torque.

Why not check out something like a KLR650, or even a DR650. They are both more street oriented but can pull off light trail duty, and neither is overly expensive. Around here most KLR's and DR are cheaper then the DRZ's are, for newer models too.

Edited by Epicsoldier

That depends......but for most purposes if you're only doing 10% dirt a different bike might be in order. The problem is going to be price, with your budget of $2k finding even a good used KLR650 might be difficult. That would be a better bike for 90% street, and there are more options with those to make them even more street-able. The SV650 listed above is another good choice, but finding one real cheap is going to be tough. A lot of people like the light dirt bike feel when riding around town. The wide bars make them easy to turn in traffic, hence all the super motard conversions. You could look into doing that, but in the end the DRZ is still just a 400cc dirt bike.

Thanks for the input guys.. I did a web search on the SV650 and I dont really care for the look. I do like having a dirt bike and being able to cut thru a field if I want to.

I just need more seat of the pants down low rpm torque.

I have riden a 2012 XR650L.. from what I remember, the torque was killer... but its a BIG bike...

I havent ridden a DR650 or KLR650... I could prolly find someone to trade for a super clean drz but I would have to ride it first...

OK Don, Let's take a step back and look around. You have already owned 650's + all kinds of other stuff. You have already bought the DRZ so it's in hand, so to speak. You can pour lots of money into mods or you can do the FAQ stuff pretty cheap and enjoy a really fun ride with what you have without spending money, blood and down time working on a bike. To make this a really fun ride you have to change your expectations and accept what the DRZ will do without demanding it be something it is not. It is not a freeway barnstormer, it is a twisty turny fun machine. Get off the freeway, find some really fun routs to where you want to go. Re-think what riding is all about and enjoy what you have...or get something else, your choice.

BTW when you do the FAQ fixs think them through before tearing down. Such as removeing the clutch cover means buying a new gasket so do both locktight fixs and the waterpump fix before putting it back together.

two cents

Enjoy

Don,

Your problem is the same as mine, and there's really no other machine close to what you want--I know, I've looked. I knew I'd be riding mainly street, so when I bought my DRZ in 2005, I spent the extra $500 and got the SM which is, hands down, the world's best in-town machine; capable of out-leaning sportbikes into residential street corners, jumping curbs at the local coffeehouse, and light enough to tip-toe backward from the curb of a sloping parking spot. Your mistake was changing the gearing to make it taller. Go back to the 15/41 and, viola!, you've got the snap you need to avoid soccer moms on the cell phone or the two-traffic-lane, right-turn drifters who regard you as nothing more than a place holder for their SUVs.

As Ryel mentioned, there's always an alternate route to wherever you're headed, and the 55 mph county roads are head 'n' shoulders more interesting than the super slab.

I've tested the BMW GS800, the 650 V-strom, the KLR and a Versys, and while these are all really nice units and much better over-the-road bikes, not one of them has the acceleration or braking of my 300-pound SM. These other machines carry so much pork that even though their powerplants make bigger ponies, they accelerate like shopping carts and stop like pontoon boats.

Some of the "exotics" like the KTMs or Husqvarnas or Aprillas can go faster and lighter than the DRZ, but you can't afford to buy or repair these creatures, and even when they're running, they're far more maintenance-intensive than the DRZ.

So until one of the Big Four steps up and makes a 350 pound, 500-650 cc twin (Jesus, didn't Triumph make one of those in 1966 called the Bonneville and the Trophy?) with modern reliability and performance, your DRZ is your tool of choice.

Edited by giotto
  • Like 3

I'm more then happy with stock motor and I weigh the same as you and do the same street to dirt ratio. I have a full exhaust, k&n intake, drilled holes in the intake box for more air (3x3 mod) re-jetted, and re-geared. It runs great for a dirtbike and still is dead reliable.

I mean, if you want a power house, your gunna have to get a big bore kit, and upgrade the cams and carb. Or just suck it up and spend money on a different bike. Not too many ways to get what you want without spending the money.

I used to have a husqvarna smr510. Way lighter and faster then the DRZ, but not as reliable, harder to find parts and parts are more expensive. More maintenance too. I think the DRZ is probably a keeper for what it can do.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

3x3 airbox mod and JD Jetting kit, then consider a SSW/MRD pipe. After that, it's cubic $$s. Stock deathwings are pretty good on the street and canyons. The DRZ engine likes to rev, max torque is 4500 to 6000 rpm. HP runs out about 8600. Do not lug these engines, let'em scream. John Deere they are not.

I appreciate all of the replies guys.

I really dont want another street bike unless I buy another Harley. I dont want to spend 15K on a bike.

Also, I have had 2 different Harlies in the last 12 years and I really dont want another one (at least right now).

I dig the dirt bike feel. I'm not into Jap street bikes - if I bought a street bike, it would be a harley (like I said, dont want one).

I think that I am going to put the 15 tooth back on it, and run 15/39 and see how much I pick up (from 16/39).

I live in Illinois and winters are cold - I might ride it like this until I put it up for the winter and drop some coin in a big bore kit, FCR and full exhaust.

I have build several V8 engines before so changing the piston, jug and supporting hardware wouldnt be an issue.

It looks like for about 1300ish I can buy those parts I just mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 bone stock drz except for the sprocket change to make it more streetable.

I put 16/39 on it and it loves the 2 lane highway much more however I lost some torque obviously.

Before I start throwing parts at it (FCR, full pipe, maybe big bore?) should I have bought a different bike?

I do 80 to 90% street... and my 10 to 20% trail isnt real aggressive... I do some hill climbing on rare occasion as well.

I'm 48 years young, and weigh 250, and am 5'10. I will never do aggressive trail or dirt riding.. just mostly put around but I LIKE

torque... I want a bike that will pull like a tractor....

I am not in the position to go buy anything new, or so expensive that I would need to borrow money.

My budget is either put 1,000 in my bike, put a 1,000 with my bike and get something better suited.

Any thoughts?

Just read your post. Keep the DR

I am 50 years young and had a WR250R great bike! but, little low on power for my bulk. Sold the WR and got a TE449. Awesome fun bike. Way more maint.

So now I am saving for something like a BMW Dakar or KTM 690. Will be keeping the 449 because I love it. just need something for the looonnng rides "multi day adventure"

My point is think your DR should be a good middle of the road/trail bike.

I heavily modded my DRZ. Best bang for the buck was the jetting and 3x3. It will feel like a different bike. After that FCR and pipe. Beware, any aftermarket pipe will be louder and vibrate more than the stocker. I did mine 1 stepat a time as I had the $$$. 3x3 and reject is very cheap. Just do it. You will be surprised at how it does on highway as well.

You could buy an older E model for under $2000, then buy a street bike. You would have the bases covered. BTW, the Suzuki SV650s are great bikes, with a lot of torque and great handling. The looks will grow on you after seeing how good it performs. :devil:

cheap change:

try a 15/47 with a mild DS tire like the TrailWings (death wings in mud). the gearing and tire combination is -great- on the street less than 65 mph, but i wouldn't do 65 for long on the drz because it SUCKS in any combination.

if the gearing and street oriented tires don't help on the drz, get a husky te610, klr650, dr650. in that order, from best to least best, and the money is similarly ordered- is likely what you'll find as fitting to your needs.

i would definitely NOT SPEND $1000 to modify a drz with your expectations of benefitting.

I just put up a post about my 20K mile DRZ,now it does not see off road on purpose but that does not mean it does not happen,I run 16/41 gearing due to the 90% freeway commute I do,K&N air filter,3x3 air box mod,jet kit,kintech needle,4" supertrapp competition end cap on stock exhaust,gearing is the max for me,it's ok in the city and great on the freeway,gets 60mpg avg,I considered more mods but just plain like it the way it is,reliable as a brick all day long,done a few 300+mile days which should be better with the seat concepts seat kit I installed earlier,6' 210# if that makes any differance

you just need to make it you own I guess

have you tried 15/39 or 14/39 Im the same size as you and im runing 13/39. thats basicly stock 15/44. It runs good at 65-70. For offroad I have another set of wheels with a 50tooth sprocket. I love it for off road. instead of buying a new bike maby look into a rear rim for off road. https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/408849-ktm-wheel-fitment-the-how-to-%e2%80%9cbig-pics%e2%80%9d/ I got a KTM rim cheap

• 11 months later...

The easiest change is to outfit a second rear wheel with different sprocket. I ran 15/44 on an SM wheel set and 15/47 on a dirt set ant it worked great. Used same size S rotors on both sets so the swap took about 15 min. That and the 3x3 and rejet will get you better throttle response and you will love your DRZ all over again

I do hope the Big 4 are listening.

Theere is a big gap between the new (later than 2012) 250 offerings and the new 650 offerings.

This design is way long in tooth, but it was one of what? two or possibly three offerings in the 400-500 range of dual sport.

My wife *loves* this size and weight class, and a 650 is too much for her. I bought her a new DL650 ABS, and she promptly dropped it three times. So, she shopped the 400-500 class, found this DRZ and began a fun riding career.

I bought a 2nd one to match, I'm a big proponent of buying multiple of product for "if one breaks, use this other one, no spin-up learning ladder, just strap it on" idea.

The point is, I wanted a modern cycle design and could not get one in this class. I would have bought two...

The OP is somewhat in the same bind. A 650 is too much cycle, and a 250 is too little.

Big 4, are you listening?

• Like 1

Don,

Your problem is the same as mine, and there's really no other machine close to what you want--I know, I've looked. I knew I'd be riding mainly street, so when I bought my DRZ in 2005, I spent the extra $500 and got the SM which is, hands down, the world's best in-town machine; capable of out-leaning sportbikes into residential street corners, jumping curbs at the local coffeehouse, and light enough to tip-toe backward from the curb of a sloping parking spot. Your mistake was changing the gearing to make it taller. Go back to the 15/41 and, viola!, you've got the snap you need to avoid soccer moms on the cell phone or the two-traffic-lane, right-turn drifters who regard you as nothing more than a place holder for their SUVs.

As Ryel mentioned, there's always an alternate route to wherever you're headed, and the 55 mph county roads are head 'n' shoulders more interesting than the super slab.

I've tested the BMW GS800, the 650 V-strom, the KLR and a Versys, and while these are all really nice units and much better over-the-road bikes, not one of them has the acceleration or braking of my 300-pound SM. These other machines carry so much pork that even though their powerplants make bigger ponies, they accelerate like shopping carts and stop like pontoon boats.

Some of the "exotics" like the KTMs or Husqvarnas or Aprillas can go faster and lighter than the DRZ, but you can't afford to buy or repair these creatures, and even when they're running, they're far more maintenance-intensive than the DRZ.

So until one of the Big Four steps up and makes a 350 pound, 500-650 cc twin (Jesus, didn't Triumph make one of those in 1966 called the Bonneville and the Trophy?) with modern reliability and performance, your DRZ is your tool of choice.

you should write for a magazine or something. i like reading what you post...

I bought a 2nd one to match, I'm a big proponent of buying multiple of product for "if one breaks, use this other one, no spin-up learning ladder, just strap it on" idea.

Me too! or, me two? whenever someone asks why i have 2 of the exact same bikes its sometimes hard to get them to understand. but i hate downtime. I wanna keep riding no matter what i gotta work on...

• Like 1