wr400f -00 won't rev past 5-6000rpm

Hi, new to the forum posting but I've red it "all" almost..

As the title says, my wr400f -00 wont rev past 5-6000rpm, it used to run smooth and hitting all the high rpm without a problem. It runs smooth and strong until then, starts fairly easy.

What I've checked:

Cleaned the carb 4-5 times, all is clean and everything is ok.

Measured all the electronics that the manual says, everything is within the correct resistance (ohm)

Tried running without TPS, neutral switch or kill switch. Still the same thing, no difference. Changed plug (which looks good). Grey wire is not an option since it is a EU model.

The sound is something like the rev limit hits it above 5-6krpm, almost like choking but not at the same time.. sound like a electric thing..

Not checked the timing, but shouldn't it be noticeable before or just idling/starting?

I've ordered a main coil, just to try something.. but meanwhile.. someone has any ideas?

br

Johan, Sweden.

Ok,

Finally checked the valve clearance, and it was within limits.

But, when trying to set the motor to Top Dead Center. I could not get it 100%. The timing seems to be a bit "1-2mm" off. Should I worry about this? I have not done anything to it, it was running good as this. Could it somehow got "off" timing without me doing anything?

See the picture below. When the "I" is at center, the timing marks are alightly off. What to do? Check further for something else or how do I adjust this?

TimingSlightlyOff_small.jpg

Thanks, what I was hoping for. So then my valves and timing is correct I guess. I'm now a bit worried if it could be something with the stator somehow.. guess it's hard to know since the resistance on the stator coil is according to manual.

The 6000rpm is very much aproximation from my side, could be in the range of 5000-7000 (but i've had some 2 stroke's and I'm used to engines (not this one though)) What's quite sure is that it's the same "rpm limit" every time. Aprox 70-80% throttle.

What it does is, "stuttering" and no matter of how much more throttle It doesn't rev more. I can hear that it's getting more air/gas (sucking noise) since it's kind of choking it's self.. not as it dies or anything just stuck there in the 6000'ish rpm's. I'll try to post a sound recording of it later. Also could compare to a 2 stroke with the wrong air/fuel mixture sound. Bu't ive tried adjusting the fuel screw and even changing for another one with the adjustment "nob" and still the same. No matter of how much I screw in or out. O-ring is also changed and it's all in the right order down there since I've not changed anything since it ran good (except new fuel screw, same problem with the old one though).

I've just bought it from my neighbour who had ridden it very little last 2 years.. It ran good for 2-3 rounds (1-3h). Then I just starting to notice, nothing dramatic but just wouldn rev as high as before.

I don't want to start re jetting or anything like that before I get it to run good again, the colour of the exhaust get's red/hot during high idle but not during riding. I then tend to adjust it down to low idle when the engine is hot and it then runs good on low idle and the exhaust dosn't get "RED", you could probably see it in the dark but not much. (which is normal I guess)

That sounds like the standard rev limiter to me, maxing out. Can't remember what the max RPM is, but its something like 12k. Maybe its hard to tell on the video. Get an inductive tachometer to measure what the actual RPMs are. Also, that thing is idling way high.

Edited by Pooley

Yup, 11,500 rev limiter. Get the idle way down there too! If you pick up an hourmeter gauge and mount it like mine, you can see the rpm's as you ride. Set the idle at around 1900, and use the torque of the engine to move you around, not the high rpm power. I'm probably spending most of my time shifting gears between 6000 and 9000rpm's.

ManiacTT\'er Hourmeter 002.JPG

Thanks for the help! Mostly been driving 2stroke so I might have my "ear" tuned in to listen to that high rev 2stroke sound. :-)

I'll hook up some meter just to tune it better then.. I'll for sure be newbie for some time. :-)

• Like 1