I'm sick of California, how's the Denver area?

Colorado

I'm at the point that I just can't take the corruption, stealing, and stupidity of the California legislature. My wife's brother and wife live in the Evergreen area and it looks really appealing to me. I've got a couple of questions:

1. How's the political climate about dirt biking in Colorado? Is Colorado facing massive closures that California is? Based on what I found on the web, the TMR actually is opening up new trails in the Rampart OHV area as apposed to stupid California where we have to fight tooth and nail just to keep what we have with all kinds of stupid new restrictions and seasonal closures. It's really pathetic.

2. How long of a drive is it from Evergreen to the Rampart area? It looks like there are 100's of miles of trails. My dream is to live near areas where I can ride all day and not ride the same trail twice.

3. We want to stay near Evergreen, but is there better areas to live?

4. What kind of shape are the schools in? We're facing 35+ kids in the classroom right now because the stupid school unions want to keep there big fat pensions, health coverage, and retirement at 55.

5. How many months a year can you ride dirt bikes? What about mountain bikes (my other passion)

6. What's it like to commute in the snow? I've been in California all my life and have no idea what it's like to live day to day in the snow. Will a front wheel drive car survive, or do you need a 4X4?

7. How's the community feel in Evergreen? Is it a good place to raise kids (I have a 9 and 6 year old)? My wife is a social person, so she needs the sense of community.

8. What kind of people live in the area? I'm kind of a limited government type and just want to be left alone. I can't stand planned communities and home owner's associations. I don't care if you're liberal or conservative, smoke dope or have bible study, just don't tell me how to live my life and I won't tell you how to live yours.

9. How are Californians treated in Colorado (although I don't think I'm what is considered a typical Californian)?

10. Is there smog restrictions on classic cars? I have a non stock 69 Camaro that would suck if I had to make it smog compliant.

11. What are the property taxes in Colorado Evergreen area? I've looked on line and found conflicting data. One website says it's approximately .67%, but a real estate website implied it was up to 3.5-4% which is absolutely nuts! For a $600K house it was like $22-24K a year, or close to $2K a month, is that right?

Thanks!

Edited by LJ

Colorado was ruined by the all of the disgruntled Californians who moved there and wanted things to be like they were at home...you might be better off looking at Utah, Idaho or Wyoming. But that's just my opinion and you know the story about opinions.

I'm at the point that I just can't take the corruption, stealing, and stupidity of the California legislature. My wife's brother and wife live in the Evergreen area and it looks really appealing to me. I've got a couple of questions:

1. How's the political climate about dirt biking in Colorado? Is Colorado facing massive closures that California is? Based on what I found on the web, the TMR actually is opening up new trails in the Rampart OHV area as apposed to stupid California where we have to fight tooth and nail just to keep what we have with all kinds of stupid new restrictions and seasonal closures. It's really pathetic.

2. How long of a drive is it from Evergreen to the Rampart area? It looks like there are 100's of miles of trails. My dream is to live near areas where I can ride all day and not ride the same trail twice.

4. What kind of shape are the schools in? We're facing 35+ kids in the classroom right now because the stupid school unions want to keep there big fat pensions, health coverage, and retirement at 55.

5. How many months a year can you ride dirt bikes? What about mountain bikes (my other passion)

6. What's it like to commute in the snow? I've been in California all my life and have no idea what it's like to live day to day in the snow. Will a front wheel drive car survive, or do you need a 4X4?

7. How's the community feel in Evergreen? Is it a good place to raise kids (I have a 9 and 6 year old)? My wife is a social person, so she needs the sense of community.

8. What kind of people live in the area? I'm kind of a limited government type and just want to be left alone. I can't stand planned communities and home owner's associations. I don't care if you're liberal or conservative, smoke dope or have bible study, just don't tell me how to live my life and I won't tell you how to live yours.

9. How are Californians treated in Colorado (although I don't think I'm what is considered a typical Californian)?

10. Is there smog restrictions on classic cars? I have a non stock 69 Camaro that would suck if I had to make it smog compliant.

11. What are the property taxes in Colorado Evergreen area? I've looked on line and found conflicting data. One website says it's approximately .67%, but a real estate website implied it was up to 3.5-4% which is absolutely nuts! For a $600K house it was like $22-24K a year, or close to $2K a month, is that right?

Thanks!

You ask a lot 'o questions, stranger. But, at the risk of pissing off millions of Coloradoans who dont need another person fleeing CA or Texas or someother place that has already been trashed, I'll take a stab at this:

1. Not facing massive closures, but have to fight to keep them. Colorado is following the nationwide trend of the greens/some forest service trying to designate more wilderness areas. And there can be some fighting about who can/should use them.

2. Evergreen to Rampart looks like about one hour. You can go the back way or you can go down i-70, c470. Hwy 85 and then back up 67; both will take you about the same amount of time. Back way is much more scenic and shorter. Lots of other riding near Evergreen, near the continental divide and western slope.

3. Evergreen is nice, but depends on where you work and how you feel about commuting. To me, its a hell of a commute from there to Downtown Denver or Denver Tech Center. if you plan to work in Denver, there are plenty of nice areas closer than Evergreen.....but the tradeoff is you dont get the mountain beauty (or the wind which can be brutal at times).

4. Schools are pretty good. Jefferson County Schools are probably second best in the state (behind the Cherry Creek School District. They are all having budget constraints but I dont think anything on the level of California (most expensive per capita and nearly worst performing).

5.Depends on where you ride. High mountains -June through September. Lower areas can be Mar/Apr-November. Mountain biking....depending on wind, cold and snowfall, but in Denver (not the foothills where Evergreen is located), you can probably ride your mountain bike 9-10 months of the year depending on how you feel about the colder temps. As long as there isnt snow on the ground, you can ride. Everything east of the Continental Divide tends to have a lot less snow, more sunshine and probably more wind.

6. Front wheel drive will survive. Four wheel will have some benefit if the snow is deeper. it aint the snow driving thats the problem. Its the other idiots and traffic. In snow, that could mean a multi hour slog to and from Evergreen.

7. Cant answer about sense of community for Evergreen (didnt grow up there). Seems like a good place to raise kids. I have known a number of people who grew up there and they seemed to like it. By people outside of Evergreen it is considered a rich community with a bunch of spoiled brats who drive nice cars to high school (i.e. country club community). Probably some truth to that, but not entirely. Cherry Creek area in Denver Metro is considered the same way.

8. Old time Coloradoans (read: natives) are limited government, generally conservative, dont like to be told what to do, have a distrust in government). Outsiders (non-natives) are moving here in droves (prior to the recession) and bring all their liberal ideas that screwed up the last place they lived and then they come here and want to add all of the things they miss from 'home'. City and County of Denver = liberal. Boulder = liberal. Aspen/Telluride = liberal. Suburbs, and non-resort areas of Colorado = conservative. Colorado is now a purple state because of the sheer number of liberal people in Denver/Boulder that can nearly match the folks in the suburbs and hinterlands. Wyoming, Idaho, Utah have a much higher percentage of conservatives.

9. We love to bitch about them...but thats about it. Dont pay too much for your real estate and drive the prices up. Change your license plate to Colorado (as you are required to do within 30 days or so). Don't bring your big city rude ways (not that you have any) and you will be fine.

10. Any car made prior to 1976 can get a classic car plate and is exempt from emissions. However, it is a 5 year plate. If you dont want to do this, you have to meet the emission standards for a 1969 car (which is easy to do) and get it tested each year (at least in the Denver Metro area). I have a 1970 Buick GSX...bone stock...meets the 1970 emission standards. Even a modified 1969 (which may burn even more efficient) would really not have a problem.

11. Property taxes are reasonable. My house is valued about $400-$500K (depending on market) and prop tax is about $3K per year. $22 to $24K is what one might expect to pay in New Jersey or some other east coast hell hole of big government.

Last thing ....and you did not ask about this. Colorado is like fight club. You dont talk about it. You move here and brag to all your California friends about how awesome Colorado is and they all move here and F it up.....for all of us. And, I see that I have broken my own rule. By the way DerHossMeister is right....some of us natives feel that Colorado has already been ruined (I am constantly telling my kids, I remember when....). I have heard that Boise, ID is like Denver was....30-40 years ago (and there was a lot of money to be made in Colorado real estate over the last 30-40 years if I had just known better and had some actual money to invest).

Edited by SilvFx

I moved here from LA area about 11 yrs. ago............best thing I ever did, especially for my family. I moved because I had to make a choice of funding private schools for the next 20 yrs (because of busing) where I lived, or find a better place. I picked here because of the riding. Idaho and Utah can compete, but I like here better. We ride all year round........ride and race on the flats in the winter, head up into the mountains in the summer. Snow/weather isn't much of a factor, only a few weekends a year it's too cold......same as anywhere. Epic during the summer.......you'll never think about missing any riding in Cali.....fer sure.

Disregard what the "natives" say about others f'ing up the place. Change was/is bound to happen. Has more to do with opportunity and less to do with who's taking advantage of it. I could lament all day about how the immigrants are f'ing up Cali, and that's what drove us and many others here. You natives ought be glad you've got conservative dirt bikers moving here, not the legal/illegal immigrants that are flooding some other states. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Where do you live now?

I hear Kansas is great, or maybe try North Dakota?

Thanks!

1. Favorable. Keep it that way.

2. 45 minutes or so.

3. Lots. There's another thread in this very forum with someone looking to move from TN where a lot of areas have been discussed.

4. Better than CA.

5. Depends on *where* you're riding. Trails probably 6 months or so.

6. There's isn't much snow in Denver, it melts off the streets by 9 AM and there's an occasional few days where you drive carefully. Maybe a blizzard to keep you and the kids home once a year.

7. Dunno.

8. Stay out of the Denver city limits for sure.

9. Don't worry about it.

10. Dunno.

11. Not sure off the top of my head, but I think we were paying around 1% or less. 0.67 sounds right. That was in Parker.

The thing about Colorado is there's an awful lot of people coming from places like Texas and California fleeing the stupidity. Problem is all too many of them turn around and try to impose the stupidity here too. So look at it this way, anyone who comes with the opposite view is another voice to counteract it.

You natives ought be glad you've got conservative dirt bikers moving here, not the legal/illegal immigrants that are flooding some other states.

Been to north Denver lately?

I moved here from LA area about 11 yrs. ago............best thing I ever did, especially for my family. I moved because I had to make a choice of funding private schools for the next 20 yrs (because of busing) where I lived, or find a better place. I picked here because of the riding. Idaho and Utah can compete, but I like here better. We ride all year round........ride and race on the flats in the winter, head up into the mountains in the summer. Snow/weather isn't much of a factor, only a few weekends a year it's too cold......same as anywhere. Epic during the summer.......you'll never think about missing any riding in Cali.....fer sure.

Disregard what the "natives" say about others f'ing up the place. Change was/is bound to happen. Has more to do with opportunity and less to do with who's taking advantage of it. I could lament all day about how the immigrants are f'ing up Cali, and that's what drove us and many others here. You natives ought be glad you've got conservative dirt bikers moving here, not the legal/illegal immigrants that are flooding some other states. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Where do you live now?

Santa Cruz. It's very liberal. I hate the politics, but the people are generally pretty good and the mountain biking is year around epic. I hang out with the mountain bike crowd and by nature they have the same views as I do, although they might not admit it in public. They see the stupid things that land managers do to keep the public out. For example, recently they knocked down a bunch of redwoods down to block off a popular "illegal" mountain bike trail. So they drop a bunch of trees to block a trail that might get eroded by mountain bikes, what the hell sense does that make??? Surprisingly, there is a bunch of dirt bikers in the area where I live (a few national caliber off road racers like the Garrahan brothers), you'd think we'd have more political power, but the powers to be hate us and would like nothing more than to shut down our riding areas.

You ask a lot 'o questions, stranger. But, at the risk of pissing off millions of Coloradoans who dont need another person fleeing CA or Texas or someother place that has already been trashed, I'll take a stab at this:

1. Not facing massive closures, but have to fight to keep them. Colorado is following the nationwide trend of the greens/some forest service trying to designate more wilderness areas. And there can be some fighting about who can/should use them.

2. Evergreen to Rampart looks like about one hour. You can go the back way or you can go down i-70, c470. Hwy 85 and then back up 67; both will take you about the same amount of time. Back way is much more scenic and shorter. Lots of other riding near Evergreen, near the continental divide and western slope.

3. Evergreen is nice, but depends on where you work and how you feel about commuting. To me, its a hell of a commute from there to Downtown Denver or Denver Tech Center. if you plan to work in Denver, there are plenty of nice areas closer than Evergreen.....but the tradeoff is you dont get the mountain beauty (or the wind which can be brutal at times).

4. Schools are pretty good. Jefferson County Schools are probably second best in the state (behind the Cherry Creek School District. They are all having budget constraints but I dont think anything on the level of California (most expensive per capita and nearly worst performing).

5.Depends on where you ride. High mountains -June through September. Lower areas can be Mar/Apr-November. Mountain biking....depending on wind, cold and snowfall, but in Denver (not the foothills where Evergreen is located), you can probably ride your mountain bike 9-10 months of the year depending on how you feel about the colder temps. As long as there isnt snow on the ground, you can ride. Everything east of the Continental Divide tends to have a lot less snow, more sunshine and probably more wind.

6. Front wheel drive will survive. Four wheel will have some benefit if the snow is deeper. it aint the snow driving thats the problem. Its the other idiots and traffic. In snow, that could mean a multi hour slog to and from Evergreen.

7. Cant answer about sense of community for Evergreen (didnt grow up there). Seems like a good place to raise kids. I have known a number of people who grew up there and they seemed to like it. By people outside of Evergreen it is considered a rich community with a bunch of spoiled brats who drive nice cars to high school (i.e. country club community). Probably some truth to that, but not entirely. Cherry Creek area in Denver Metro is considered the same way.

8. Old time Coloradoans (read: natives) are limited government, generally conservative, dont like to be told what to do, have a distrust in government). Outsiders (non-natives) are moving here in droves (prior to the recession) and bring all their liberal ideas that screwed up the last place they lived and then they come here and want to add all of the things they miss from 'home'. City and County of Denver = liberal. Boulder = liberal. Aspen/Telluride = liberal. Suburbs, and non-resort areas of Colorado = conservative. Colorado is now a purple state because of the sheer number of liberal people in Denver/Boulder that can nearly match the folks in the suburbs and hinterlands. Wyoming, Idaho, Utah have a much higher percentage of conservatives.

9. We love to bitch about them...but thats about it. Dont pay too much for your real estate and drive the prices up. Change your license plate to Colorado (as you are required to do within 30 days or so). Don't bring your big city rude ways (not that you have any) and you will be fine.

10. Any car made prior to 1976 can get a classic car plate and is exempt from emissions. However, it is a 5 year plate. If you dont want to do this, you have to meet the emission standards for a 1969 car (which is easy to do) and get it tested each year (at least in the Denver Metro area). I have a 1970 Buick GSX...bone stock...meets the 1970 emission standards. Even a modified 1969 (which may burn even more efficient) would really not have a problem.

11. Property taxes are reasonable. My house is valued about $400-$500K (depending on market) and prop tax is about $3K per year. $22 to $24K is what one might expect to pay in New Jersey or some other east coast hell hole of big government.

Last thing ....and you did not ask about this. Colorado is like fight club. You dont talk about it. You move here and brag to all your California friends about how awesome Colorado is and they all move here and F it up.....for all of us. And, I see that I have broken my own rule. By the way DerHossMeister is right....some of us natives feel that Colorado has already been ruined (I am constantly telling my kids, I remember when....). I have heard that Boise, ID is like Denver was....30-40 years ago (and there was a lot of money to be made in Colorado real estate over the last 30-40 years if I had just known better and had some actual money to invest).

Great feedback, thanks!

1. Favorable. Keep it that way.

2. 45 minutes or so.

3. Lots. There's another thread in this very forum with someone looking to move from TN where a lot of areas have been discussed.

4. Better than CA.

5. Depends on *where* you're riding. Trails probably 6 months or so.

6. There's isn't much snow in Denver, it melts off the streets by 9 AM and there's an occasional few days where you drive carefully. Maybe a blizzard to keep you and the kids home once a year.

7. Dunno.

8. Stay out of the Denver city limits for sure.

9. Don't worry about it.

10. Dunno.

11. Not sure off the top of my head, but I think we were paying around 1% or less. 0.67 sounds right. That was in Parker.

The thing about Colorado is there's an awful lot of people coming from places like Texas and California fleeing the stupidity. Problem is all too many of them turn around and try to impose the stupidity here too. So look at it this way, anyone who comes with the opposite view is another voice to counteract it.

Great feedback, thanks!

Colorado was ruined by the all of the disgruntled Californians who moved there and wanted things to be like they were at home...you might be better off looking at Utah, Idaho or Wyoming. But that's just my opinion and you know the story about opinions.

Some of us really hate what has happened to California. If I move to Colorado, I'd do the same thing I'm doing now and fight back against land closure as I do now (something I'd think Colorado dirt bikers would want, more voices on their side). Maybe Colorado has more of a chance than California which is doomed.

I'd like to consider Utah, Idaho or Wyoming but we've got family in Colorado, and I'm also a mechanical engineer, so I need to go where there are high tech jobs.

My family and I are actually visiting the Evergreen area over the 4th of July to meet my new niece for 5 days. We're visiting with an eye of maybe moving there at some point. Is there any areas we should check out other than Evergreen to live? Is it worth a drive down to Rampart to check out the riding area? How many miles of trail in Rampart?

Thanks!

Nothing here to see. Move along....

Wow there are some real dicks that visit this forum. You should do what makes you life better man. No sense going through life miserable.

Wow there are some real dicks that visit this forum. You should do what makes you life better man. No sense going through life miserable.

+1 :devil:

Hello LJ,

The thread that was mentioned somewhere above is my thread (http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/964381-looking-at-moving-to-the-denver-area/). Definitely some helpful people that have replied to my thread with some great info.

I was surprised to see that you are also a Mechanical Engineer. I am also looking at some Mechanical Engineering positions in the Denver area. Since you are experienced (well I assume that you are), you should hardly have any issues with finding something in the aerospace industry. If possible, try finding people that work for a company that is hiring that can recommend you. I have taken that route and have acquired contacts in Phoenix, Denver, and Louisville (Kentucky).

If you are flexible in your options as far as states in general, I would check out Utah, Arizona, and Nevada as well...especially the Phoenix, AZ area. As I mentioned in my thread above, Denver and Phoenix are my top two choices right now as far as trying to find a place to relocate to. The thing I really like about Phoenix is the CHEAP housing. Plus you can ride/bike year around depending on how much heat you can bare. Defense, Aerospace, and Electronic industries are strong there. If I remember correctly, Intel just opened up a new facility there and is hiring aggressively. The Denver area is also nice too. I really like the scenery as well as the diversity in people there. Plus you have places to mountain bike, ride dirt bikes, snowboard and much more. Having great places to snowboard nearby is great...it makes the snow/cold months a lot more bearable in my opinion. Colorado in general is just that state that everyone wants to live in...for obvious reasons. As for living in Colorado, if I remember correctly, the South/South East area of Denver is a pretty good area (Around Centennial). I have not been able to explore the area more yet, so I am just relaying info that I have heard.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I hear Kansas is great, or maybe try North Dakota?

Geez, way to keep our borders safe by being an a-s-s-h-o-l-e to ONE guy who's looking for a better life for him and his family.

If I move to Colorado, I'd do the same thing I'm doing now and fight back against land closure as I do now (something I'd think Colorado dirt bikers would want, more voices on their side).

I like you how you think!

My family and I are actually visiting the Evergreen area over the 4th of July to meet my new niece for 5 days. We're visiting with an eye of maybe moving there at some point. Is there any areas we should check out other than Evergreen to live? Is it worth a drive down to Rampart to check out the riding area? How many miles of trail in Rampart?

Thanks!

http://rampartrange.org/

^ Tons of info here. I'm sure it'll be crowded as hell around 4th of July, but just as soon check it out while you're in town!

More good info here: https://www.staythet...etogo/index.php

Edited by RedRider31

To quote SilvFX about Denver being Liberal....All I can say is he is absolutely right! I moved to Denver in 1978 and stayed one year(hated it) then moved back to Oklahoma. Course it wasn't just the politics back then !.........I visit colorado every summer now! (to ride of course). :ride:

edit-This response wasn't meant to offend anyone. I was waayy too young when I moved to denver. It was just too fast paced for me back

then. Probably still is. If I could move my machine shop to the mountains and make a living there, I would do it in a heartbeat. :devil:

Edited by vetracer1

There's Colorado, and then there's Denver. The suburbs are not the same.