Sign in to follow this  

WR250R?

Sup,

I'm 17, 5"11 and around 90KGs / 200 Pounds with gear. Well because im Australia, price doesn't matter, I will be riding on trails and hopefully (but not 100% certain) on the road a bit. I currently own a cheap 250cc pitbike (only has 16HP) and I would like a more powerful bike.

So off those points now, basically I have been riding since I was 7 (xr80's, pw50's & a ttr125) and I love bikes, I stopped for around 4 years though and wanted to get back into riding but at the time I wasn't 100% committed, hence why I have the cheap bike now. It has served its purpose so far but I am desperate need of an upgrade as it is lacking the power and acceleration I am yearning for.

Anyway due to the conditions I will be riding in, I was looking at a WR250R, WR250F and CRF250L (not released yet but its a wr250r but a honda). I have posted the ones above because e-start is a must, it doesn't need to be road legal however all of the ones posted above are in Australia and so are most other non mx bikes. Most of these bikes produce double the amount of HP that my current cheap bike makes which is why I'm going for the 250cc and not a big 450cc, but I'm not sure on the torque. I LOVE the power at the start :devil: just opening the throttle and taking off is so exhilarating. So if you have any suggestions on other trail bikes with e-start that might be able to be road legalised as well as having a good amount of torque.

Will a WR250R be enough for me? is it worth the loss in HP that the 250F produces to have FI?

TL;DR?

Which is a better 95% trail bike / 5% road bike; Remember in Australia all of these are road legal

WR250R

WR250F

CRF250L (not yet released but somewhat a red wr250r)

OR even recommend me another bike?

Thanks!

Edited by chriscasha

I think the WR250R (or X) is the perfect choice for you.

It has plenty of power albeit the thing to get use to is it likes to be revved to get into it's powerband, unlike a grunting big thumper.

It's grand for putting along two track or tracking high speed across open tundra.

best part is it is light.

Having come from a KTM 950 Adventure, then a Husky TE610, the weight factor is a big bonus.

When I get in 'situations' I can turn this lil bugger around. That said, it doesn't feel or look like a tiddler trailbike.

Out of the box suspension is very adequate. A coiple simple mosds like a larger rear sprocket and opening up the airbox does wonders for the overall performance.

WR250F is a complete different animal BTW. WR250R/X has 26K mile valve adjust intervals. Basically change oil, air filetr and chaon/sprockets.

Ride it.

Go for it!

Edited by RapidDog

I think the WR250R (or X) is the perfect choice for you.

It has plenty of power albeit the thing to get use to is it likes to be revved to get into it's powerband, unlike a grunting big thumper.

It's grand for putting along two track or tracking high speed across open tundra.

best part is it is light.

Having come from a KTM 950 Adventure, then a Husky TE610, the weight factor is a big bonus.

When I get in 'situations' I can turn this lil bugger around. That said, it doesn't feel or look like a tiddler trailbike.

Out of the box suspension is very adequate. A coiple simple mosds like a larger rear sprocket and opening up the airbox does wonders for the overall performance.

WR250F is a complete different animal BTW. WR250R/X has 26K mile valve adjust intervals. Basically change oil, air filetr and chaon/sprockets.

Ride it.

Go for it!

Well put RapidDog, well put. I love my little WR250R too but it did need a pipe and programmer before I was really happy with it. My california version was pretty corked up with all the emission controls and airbox flapper and junk. Once I pulled that all off it really opened her up.

There are some great threads here on thumpertalk that list all the mods available for the WR250R (including a 290cc big bore kit from Athena OH YEAH) but I also have a list of all the mods I did to my WR250R over at www.solidfull.com/yamaha

PS Would LOVE to test ride a Husky someday.

...you know, after the 950, I'd read so much abot the TE Husky's I was convinced it was the perfect replacement for me. Maybe if I was actually going on long hauls it would have been.

I did all the correct mods to the 610. Suspension was great, handled pretty well.

But the motor was a bore. It was really my first thumper I'll admit, but it still felt big, not so light, and tractor like.

Just not soul stirring at all (for me).

Great bike. And truth is I like big bikes offroad. More plush for old bones :devil:.

Then I rode my friends WR-R and thought, 'What a toy".

However, after a few rides it all made sense that lighter is better.

I get alot less tired these days...

...you know, after the 950, I'd read so much abot the TE Husky's I was convinced it was the perfect replacement for me. Maybe if I was actually going on long hauls it would have been.

I did all the correct mods to the 610. Suspension was great, handled pretty well.

But the motor was a bore. It was really my first thumper I'll admit, but it still felt big, not so light, and tractor like.

Just not soul stirring at all (for me).

Great bike. And truth is I like big bikes offroad. More plush for old bones :ride:.

Then I rode my friends WR-R and thought, 'What a toy".

However, after a few rides it all made sense that lighter is better.

I get alot less tired these days...

Same here, I loved my old DRZ400E with Yosh pipe but damn it was a pig on the tight trails compared to this little WR250R.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's like comparing the Millenium Falcon to an X-wing. :devil:

millenium-falcon.jpg

Sup,

I'm 17, 5"11 and around 90KGs / 200 Pounds with gear. Well because im Australia, price doesn't matter, I will be riding on trails and hopefully (but not 100% certain) on the road a bit. I currently own a cheap 250cc pitbike (only has 16HP) and I would like a more powerful bike.

So off those points now, basically I have been riding since I was 7 (xr80's, pw50's & a ttr125) and I love bikes, I stopped for around 4 years though and wanted to get back into riding but at the time I wasn't 100% committed, hence why I have the cheap bike now. It has served its purpose so far but I am desperate need of an upgrade as it is lacking the power and acceleration I am yearning for.

Anyway due to the conditions I will be riding in, I was looking at a WR250R, WR250F and CRF250L (not released yet but its a wr250r but a honda). I have posted the ones above because e-start is a must, it doesn't need to be road legal however all of the ones posted above are in Australia and so are most other non mx bikes. Most of these bikes produce double the amount of HP that my current cheap bike makes which is why I'm going for the 250cc and not a big 450cc, but I'm not sure on the torque. I LOVE the power at the start :ride: just opening the throttle and taking off is so exhilarating. So if you have any suggestions on other trail bikes with e-start that might be able to be road legalised as well as having a good amount of torque.

Will a WR250R be enough for me? is it worth the loss in HP that the 250F produces to have FI?

TL;DR?

Which is a better 95% trail bike / 5% road bike; Remember in Australia all of these are road legal

WR250R

WR250F

CRF250L (not yet released but somewhat a red wr250r)

OR even recommend me another bike?

Thanks!

If all three of those bikes are street legal in Australia, I would go with the wr250f. It is going to be noticeably lighter than the wr250r and way way lighter than the pathetic honda crf250L. It is also going to have more horsepower, not sure how much more but a stock wr250r makes around 28, i'm guessing the F model is somewhere around 30-34. The disadvantage to having the more powerful bike is that it is going to require more maintenance. The wr250r has 25k valve inspection intervals and 3k oil changes, I'm unsure about the F model however. For 95% dirt riding and occasional road use, I'd go with the WR250F model, more power, less weight, more fun :devil:

-Also, DO NOT GET THE HONDA, it is an underpowered (low 20's for horsepower) overweight (145kg wet weight, thats more than my drz400!) pig.

Edited by Bigoldbeef

I agree with getting an F model. Lots more fun, lighter, more HP and the yamaha F's are pretty solid for valve reliability (unlike the hondas). The WR250r is down on torque in the lower to mid rpm ranges and struggles to lift the front end at lower speeds without a lot of body english.... the F model is a wheelie machine. (I've owned 2).

Has anyone on here put the 290 Big Bore in their WR 250R,does it make it more wheelie friendly?

The stock sprockets on a WR250R (13/43) are geared WAY more towards high speed over low end.

Just switching the rear to a 47 tooth aluminum sprocket will do quite a bit for the WR250R if wheelies are what you want... ( see my avatar? :devil: )

Checkout this video of this lunatic with a WR250X (Same motor as WR250R, just the little supermoto sister version) doing wheelies through the city:

But yeah I agree it is in no way going to do what an F will do but the fuel injection is nice once you get the hang of it.

I have seriously been considering the big bore kit anyhow though as I would like more top end on the street in strong headwinds. Heard good things about them but I wonder about the longevity of the big bore kit compared to leaving it stock?

I watch this guys youtube channel called "Accidental Broadcast" who runs a helmet camera. He is over in Hawaii and rides the WR250R with the Athena 290 Big Bore kit. (lucky bum) Here is a link to one of his "Episodes":

:ride: