Sign in to follow this  

New to me KDX 80

I found a KDX80, My nieses and nephews are comming up at the end of June and our TTr 125's are a little to large. My goal was to not spend a whole bunch. (so much for that) I paid 270 for the KDX and it ran fine clutch slipped a little.

Parts ordered

Tires

Tubes

Reeds

clutch disk

front bearings

rear bearings

swing arm bearings

new fork dust caps

gasket set

spark plug

Chain

Still Need

Air box ( Smacaroni is helping me with this)

Rear fender

Both side plastics.

Rear brake rod

Complete so far

Frame painted Lime green

Swingarm painted silver

Fork seals are good replaced fork oil

Lots of cleaning

Looking good

Questions

Should I repack the muffler (welded on both ends)

Anyone know where i can find side plastics?

Anythign else I should be looking for

General Info

Frame has no vin number on it

Found Kawasaki part number sticker I believe the frame has been replaced

I will Post More Pics if you are interested!

Thanks

kdx80%25201.jpgkdx80.jpg

Did the Silencer have any packing in it? I would like to pack the muffler but its welded both ends and would have to be cut open and re welded. Any Opinions?

I do not believe this particular silencer was a packed silencer.

According to the parts diagram, there is an insert which can be removed/replaced, it appears to be held in with two bolts at the exhaust tip. Pop it out and eye ball the innards, you're probably fine. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if the PO lost it. Probably noisier, but I doubt there's any gain or loss from not having the insert.

Good luck.

Edited by Smacaroni

I was supposed to try and pick up this '86 model a friend has for cheap all there cept for the plastic's are gone and forks rusted out.

My intial parts number comparison told me that the clutch parts basket/hub/pressure plate/plates are all KX 60 parts same with cdi/coil and stator parts. Front n rear wheel hub parts are the same as the KX 60 or 80 of that same era even the brake parts are the same as the rear drum on the mid 80's KX 80. My other parts comparison shows that you could put either the KX 60 shock or the KX 80 shock in the bike but the one pivot/crank part was different the part that pushes down on the shock.

For the most part I found that mostly the center cases/right side cover and the top end exhaust carb holder boot and the air box boot and box it's self are about the only parts unique to that bike and some of the plastics the gas tank is the same as the 84/85 kx 80.

My intial parts number comparison told me that the clutch parts basket/hub/pressure plate/plates are all KX 60 parts same with cdi/coil and stator parts. Front n rear wheel hub parts are the same as the KX 60 or 80 of that same era even the brake parts are the same as the rear drum on the mid 80's KX 80. My other parts comparison shows that you could put either the KX 60 shock or the KX 80 shock in the bike but the one pivot/crank part was different the part that pushes down on the shock.

The shock is different. To me it feels a little stiffer, but it's longer for sure. The KDX is black and the KX60 is purple:

101_2559.JPG

The electronics swap as a whole, the individual pieces will not work on the other's, at least the newer (90s?) KX60. The original 83 version of the KX60 did use the same electronics as the KDX.

The body pieces are different, the 60s are smaller than the KDX. The forks are similar, but internally different. The rear hub is the same, the front hub however is larger. These swap as a unit easily, other than the fact that the KX is 14/12 and the KDX is 16/14.

Yes, for the most part, the motor is an overgrown air cooled KX60 motor, or a shrunken KDX80 motor. If you find an air-cooled 60 or make make mounts for the radiator on the KDX, one will pretty much drop into the other's frame. You would need to make some sort of changes to the exhaust to the 80 for it to fit in the 60 frame, it is taller and longer.

The cut-off for KX80 to KDX80 front wheels is 1983, but the whole front end drops in till 85. The rear wheel is the same till the late 80s, IIRC.

Smacaroni : you know alittle more about the KDX then I do that was just my observation of a quick comparsion of the parts diagrams. I was thinking about if I do pick up this 86 model from my friend about of course fixing it up but I was gonna put the kx 80 front end on there to get the bigger front wheel n disc setup stock the kdx had that goofy 16 inch wheel and the KX had a more common 17 inch. I was also trying to see if and it looks very possible to try adding in the 84/85 KX 80 shock and the 85's aluminum swingarm n rear wheel setup with the brake torque arm. Be sweet if I could put the big wheel style wheels on it but I think it would have clearance issues.

Haven't done it yet, but my plans are similar 84/85 KX80 should drop right into the frame. Should, parts diagrams only tell you so much, I'll let you know when I get that done.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the swing arm. If the pivot bolt is the same and the hub is the same, I'd bet it'll work with no adaptation.

I put a DR200 shock in mine, probably not what you'd want for offroad, the spring is pretty stiff since it's meant for a bike and rider that weigh twice as much as the KDX does. It's also needs to be revalved for what I intend it to do, so I'm probably going to keep looking.

But it did just drop right in.

I think a 16" wheel will fit the KDX swing arm.

Edited by Smacaroni

The parts diamgrams shows the axle and all the bearings in the swing arm linkage are the same for the rear axle and swing arm pivot bolt even the brake pedals are the same. All the parts for the uni trak are the same cept for the pivot / crank piece. I'm sure cause the kx 80 shock is a lil longer is why the change.

This is some good information, I am learning a lot. We have made a little more progress. Located side plastics NOS. New Tires Tubes Bearings. Front fender looks ok but the rear fender is bad. Now to locate one looks very similar to the 82-85 KX80, Fender will pop up sooner or later i'm sure.

I will not worry about the muffler then since there is no packing the spark arrester is still in it.

Cleaned up the piston rings look like new de-glazed the cylinder. Replaced clutch plates and a couple oil seals. Shift shaft seal was leaking pretty bad. I think its coming along pretty well. A new pic below.

IMG00683-20120617-2054.jpg

Edited by Gokeeper

Ok so its coming along good, One question, I put the clutch perch and cable on and boy is that a hard pull. I know it was stiff before but what can be done. I ordered a new cable and perch to see if that would help, but is there anything else I can do?

Try spraying WD40 or chain lube in the cable and work it back and forth by hand (off the bike, helps to have two people), but your cable just might be full of crud and no amount of lube will make it work right.

I worked the cable it moves freely, its just a hard pull on the clutch I will have to look and see if i assembled something wrong.

I believe its all correct in the parts diagram I see a washer between the clutch pusher and bearing. It states as required but I don't not have one and cant seam to find any explanation in the manual why you would need one. Cable moves freely while disconnected, however it seams to have some memory so i will replace it. Clutch on this KDX is 2-3 times harder to pull and hold then our ttr-125's and even my ttr-250.

Edited by Gokeeper

Yes it is, the front tire was a 70/100-16 and I couldnt find anything so I found that tire in a 90/100-16. It is beefey.

As for the clutch issue found a cupped clutch plate in the clutch basket. Now to find one of those in stock somewhere locally.

Thats going to make it handle really bad it will make turning the bars heavy n stiff feeling i wouldn't even recommend running it like that. Since you said finding that size is hard did you try the chengshin brand the c755 model. It would pay for itself to find the 83 kx 80 front wheel it is a 17 inch and still drum setup and way more tire choices with a proper front tire setup.

The front tire is a Pirelli MXMS Soft to Mid size 90/100-16 which is also meant to act as a front tire according to Pirelli. I did look in to the Cheng Shin c755 which would be a 2.50-16 relates to an 80/100-16 difference in width of 1/4" or 1/8" on each side of the tire. When I compared tread patterns they looked almost Identical. I thought about switching front ends but just didn't want to spend the money.

The wheel you found probably would have been a good idea but I think this will work for now. Its similar to my TW200 in my opinion it makes the steering on this KDX80 better, when I took it out last night its turned easier and didn't flop around like it was before. But we are riding farm fields and dirt roads not tracks. I have included the Pirelli and the Cheng Shin Below I thought they were very similar. The Pirelli is on the left and the Cheng Shin C755 is on the right. Again the width difference is 0.25" total.

pir_07_mxms_sof_rea.jpg681525-tr-c755-tire.jpg