Sign in to follow this  

WR250R Weight

I'm a long time off road rider, now riding on the street as well. I'm looking for a competent dual sport that is more off road slanted but will get me to the trails. The WR250R looks like a good candidate but I'm concerned about weight. Where I live in N.Alabama is a difficult place to ride off road. The trails are tight and twisty, rocky and muddy, and often hilly. Makes for some very technically challenging riding. The best bike for it is a trials bike which is what I've been riding for a few years now. But I'm not getting any younger and I'm ready for a seat again. Most dedicated enduro bikes are around 240 lbs. My Montesa comes in at a svelte 160 lbs. (I'm selling btw.) The WR250R is 276 lbs! That actually sounds pretty darn heavy for a trail bike. Thoughts?

John

The WRR feels a lot lighter then it actually is. I had a klx 450 before the WR and IMO it feels lighter then the klx even though it weighs 50 lbs more.

The bike is heavy. If you get in a situation where you need to lift it, you might be in trouble unless you're built like Conan the Barbarian. I enjoy my ride for fireroads, single track that isn't too technical, and so on, but I won't take it on really technical stuff where I take my full-on dirt bikes - even if I don't have to lift it, it just isn't much fun under those conditions.

Also...if you are an aggressive rider, the stock rear suspension is screwed up. You'll need to get it revalved to make it work right - usually a couple hundred dollars. So, a street-legal dirt bike (like a plated WR250F) might be better for where you ride.

Where the WR250R shines is versatility, it is pretty good on the highway and handles most dirt chores fairly well.

First, I feel you might need some time on a non-trials bike to get the feel of an off-road bike, again.

Compared to an off-road bike like Yamaha's own WR-250F, the WR-250R is overweight if you plan on mainly off-road riding.

It's 236 pounds vs. 270 pounds, so there's no denying the difference.

In the WR-250R's favor, it is much better at street riding, and it gives you the feeling that you could ride it clear across the country with 100% reliability and ease.

An off-road bike like a WR-250F is geared much lower and starts to feel wound-out at 50mph.

However, as mentioned here and on lots of other forums, the main thing that separates the feel of (especially Japanese) dual-purpose bikes from the off-road bikes is the quality of the stock suspension, and the stock suspension on the WR-250R is a cost-cutting set-up that works OK for slow off-road riding on smooth to moderately bumpy terrain.

If you want to push it, it feels less good the more you up the pace.

I believe that the main thing holding the WR-250R back from feeling much more like a real dirt bike is not the extra weight, but the cheap suspension that would need a revalve from a suspesnion shop to make it feel good if you expect a great feel from it.

It will always weigh more because the engine is a bit heavier for smoothness and reliability at 70mph for hours on end on the freeway and it had to meet EPA regulations.

But, once you get the suspension working well, it wouldn't be a bad off-road bike for recreational trail riding and street riding at all.

Edited by YZEtc