Why can't yamaha import a bike like this to the USA?!

Saw this commercial that yamaha has for a bike they all the "WR-Adventure" on youtube. I'm pretty sure its a wr450 with blinkers and a horn. My question is, why can't or why wouldn't yamaha import these to the USA to compete with the KTM's and Husky's? Here's a link to the video

Edited by Bigoldbeef

For the same reason that every business bases every decision they make on. "Will it make money"............

For the same reason that every business bases every decision they make on. "Will it make money"............

I'm pretty sure it would make a good amount of money. Well, at least it would here in the communist state of NJ.

I don't get it. The 450cc class of off-road bikes would be much more desirable/profitable if they came factory street legal. Here in urbanized Maryland anyway.

I'm pretty sure it would make a good amount of money. Well, at least it would here in the communist state of NJ.

Don't take it personally, but you (or i) have NO clue how many of those bikes they would have to sell to make them profitable to bring here. Goes way beyond what they cost to make.

Don't take it personally, but you (or i) have NO clue how many of those bikes they would have to sell to make them profitable to bring here. Goes way beyond what they cost to make.

Yea, I was talking mostly about here in NJ where it is illegal to ride a bike without a tag.

If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make cents (pun intended)

In california, Yamaha already sells tons of wr450's that are not plated. Why change what's working.

My question is, why can't or why wouldn't yamaha import these to the USA to compete with the KTM's and Husky's?

Because of politics. Specifically regulations implemented by the so-called Environmental "Protection" Agency. Look at all the hoops they had to jump through just to make the WR250R legal in the US - not to mention all the additional crap required by Californiastan. And it's only going to get worse...

Because of politics. Specifically regulations implemented by the so-called Environmental "Protection" Agency. Look at all the hoops they had to jump through just to make the WR250R legal in the US - not to mention all the additional crap required by Californiastan. And it's only going to get worse...

Yeah, it really sucks that some of us want clean air to breathe.

I would love to have that bike but I doubt it will ever come here, at least in that form. I guess KTM is laughing all the way to the bank without any real competition. Sucks for us! Thank you CARB/EPA both of which we could just about do away with and still live a happy life.

Yeah, it really sucks that some of us want clean air to breathe.

Seriously? While many government regulations on air quality make sense, and I am in favor of them, the pollutants contributed by all dual sport motorcycles, all put together, in the entire world, are totally negligible. Totally. In fact, if only one in 10,000 people who currently drive a so-called 'clean' car switched to a WR450 with a PCV valve, and drove it to work once a week, global emissions would go down. If they drove it everyday, now that'd make a real difference.

Seriously?

Don't let it get to you - it's a common tactic used by the collectivists. If you abhor intrusive, stifling government regulations they always say you "want to destroy the environment" and "only care about profits and not people." There can be no middle ground. If you don't believe in the absolute power of government then they insist you don't believe in any government at all. It's all quite amusing, actually.

I thought for sure Yamaha would go for it with the new WR, that larger headlight being a clue. I don't see how it's an emissions thing, as the FI EXC seems to be working pretty well. Hell, the mapping for a green sticker bike is probably close or the same as required for street legality.

Don't let it get to you - it's a common tactic used by the collectivists. If you abhor intrusive, stifling government regulations they always say you "want to destroy the environment" and "only care about profits and not people." There can be no middle ground. If you don't believe in the absolute power of government then they insist you don't believe in any government at all. It's all quite amusing, actually.

Listen to yourself. No middle ground? THAT finger can be pointed in any number of directions. I happen to like clean air. Clean water, too. I own three bikes. Only the newest one has EFI and a cat-con and has an exhaust that doesn't smell like it would kill you. If I was the enviro-nazi that you think I am, I wouldn't be riding AT ALL since that wastes resources. I like technology. I like progress. I really like riding. I like that all these things can mesh together. I'd like to see if direct-injection can revive the 2-strokes.

Sorry, but your right to pollute ends when it reaches my family. Get used to it. With 6 billion people on the planet there isn't as much elbow room as there used to be, but there IS a lot more pollution. I find it amazing that people who spend time off-road, in the wilderness, are not more attuned to nature. Why would you want to harm it? Maybe you're riding so fast, you missed it.

As to the car vs. bike analogy, that is a meaningless academic exercise. For a lot of reasons, most people will never ride two wheels. We are a minority. You (CRM114) may be right that total MC pollution is negligible, but on a per-vehicle basis it may actually be worse. It depends upon the comparison vehicle. Be that as it may, it is downright juvenile to believe that we are somehow exempt from pollution laws while Aunt Emma's Camry has to conform. Where is the justification for motorsports being a favored class? Anyone? We all have to do our part. Our actual sacrifice is minimal.

The earth would survive without the EPA and CARB and all those other environmental groups...God didn't make junk !

I find it amazing that people who spend time off-road, in the wilderness, are not more attuned to nature. Why would you want to harm it?

All I did was criticize the EPA. When did I say I want to harm the environment?

Oh, that's right. I didn't. You did. Thanks for helping me make my point...

If you abhor intrusive, stifling government regulations they always say you "want to destroy the environment"

Note that the WR450F is street legal right out of the box in most European countries plus Australia. Now consider EPA's gauntlet Yamaha would have no choice but to endure if they wished to make the exact same bike street legal here in the US. And this just happens to be the purpose of this thread - to examine the reasons why this is so.

Seriously? While many government regulations on air quality make sense, and I am in favor of them, the pollutants contributed by all dual sport motorcycles, all put together, in the entire world, are totally negligible. Totally. In fact, if only one in 10,000 people who currently drive a so-called 'clean' car switched to a WR450 with a PCV valve, and drove it to work once a week, global emissions would go down. If they drove it everyday, now that'd make a real difference.

ALL the dual sport bikes in the WORLD = effects are negligable

BUT: 1 in 10,000 CLEAN CAR owners, rides 1 of those dual sport bikes ONCE A WEEK and GLOBAL emissions go down.

WOW, The contradiction you just expressed is hard to fathom?

Edited by MindBlower

Note that the WR450F is street legal right out of the box in most European countries plus Australia. Now consider EPA's gauntlet Yamaha would have no choice but to endure if they wished to make the exact same bike street legal here in the US. And this just happens to be the purpose of this thread - to examine the reasons why this is so.

Yes, our air quality standards are higher than most of the world.

We THANK the EPA for that fact. :devil:

The earth would survive without the EPA and CARB and all those other environmental groups...God didn't make junk !

It might survive but it certainly won't be unaltered. I never said the Creator made junk, but it seems that many would gladly accept mechanical junk when we are capable of much better efforts.

Yes, our air quality standards are higher than most of the world.

We THANK the EPA for that fact. :devil:

We get it. Some of you love the EPA so much that you just can't resist being cheerleaders for them and are willing to completely ignore the fact that they are the precise reason "Why can't yamaha import a bike like this to the USA?!"

You know, the topic of this thread?

Don't hate the messenger for bringing the truth.