Sold Dirtbike, Buyer Now Saying Bike Blew Up

Hi All,

I am not asking for legal advice, just some general opinions on what you would do in my shoes.....

I had a 2004 RM125. It was in excellent condition, ran great, had a lot of maintenance done (new bearings, etc)....I had a buyer come friday to look at it. I told them all that I did to take care of it (which I did). I let the mans son take the bike for a rip down the alley, and not long after, he handed me my cash, We signed a bill of sale, and he was on his way. I forgot to make a copy of the bill of sale! Bike had no title. Anyway, The next day, his son texts me and tells me that the bike lost all compression, and needs a new top end. he said it only ran for an hour. I didnt say much back except 'sorry to hear that', even though I really did feel bad. I wasnt selling the bike because it was ready to blow up, but because I bought a street bike *Triumph Daytona 675* (: and needed the room in my garage. The son kind of got mouthy when I didnt say much back, and I just told him that I'm really not obligated to do anything. His dad called me later, and was friendly, but bummed out. I was kind of bummed out for them. Even though I feel bad, I have no way of knowing what was done to that bike after it left here. His dad seemed to know that, but asked if I could give 200 bucks back out of good will. He said the whole jug needed rebuilt. I believe the story, but yet again its hard to believe. What are the chances of my bike blowing up after an hour of riding with a new owner?

Anyway, just curious what you all would do in my shoes. The last thing I want is a legal battle, or guilty conscience. Any input is appreciated.

-Rob R.

Its an 8 year old high performance MX bike! There is no way to warranty it. Brand new bikes can blow up an hour after they leave the shop. All depends on how it is being rode too. Dont feel bad cause its not your fault. You were honest with them. Dont worry about having a bill of sale either. If the bike isnt titled or registered there is no legal way they can trace it back to you. Legally there is nothing they can do.

• Like 3

Ya I'm with everyone else, that kid could have just as easily gone home and thrown some reg gas in it and ran the bike hard till it blew. How are you to know what he did, buying used comes with inherent risks..

• Like 2

Thanks guys/girls. Ironically, the buyer just called me two minutes after I posted this, and got out of the hole for 113 bucks (New top end). He said no hard feelings, and that the fact I was willing to talk with him said a lot. I feel a whole lot better now. Its more pride than anything. Thanks all, and take care. Talk to you all soon!

-Rob R.

• Like 3

My brother was on the other side of a situation like this. On the 3rd lap of the first time he rode it the engine seized and needed to be completely rebuilt (cylinder/head/crank/etc.). He too believed that the guy truly knew nothing was wrong. Paid $1600 for a bike that needed over $1000 rebuild after 6 minutes of ride time. Seller was not willing to help.

For this reason I rebuild everytime I buy a new bike. Exception was my RM125 I just bought which had a visibly brand new cylinder head. The wrest of the engine was kind of "stained" and the cylinder was brand new with no dirt stains on it and it wasn't polished, so I pulled the pipe off and checked the piston to make sure it was all good and everything was a go.

ALWAYS put "as is" on your bill of sales. Don't feel too bad about it, it happens. I would probably let the guy know if I bought a bike and it blew up, but wouldn't expect anything out of him.

I had the same thing happen to me. Bought a bike and it seized about 3-4 rides later - on Christmas Eve no less.

After tearing it apart - the guy beat the hell out of it and I'm convinced he knew what he was doing.

Live and learn, chalk it up to experience. Good to hear that your situation had a reasonably positive outcome.

Years ago I bought an '87 CR125. Blew the top end within an hour of buying it. We didn't even bother trying to contact the seller - not his problem.

I always specify AS-IS when selling something like this.

Actually had the opposite happen to me recently. I sold a car as non-running (thought the engine was seized). It turns out it runs great! A bolt had fallen out of the clutch pressure plate and jammed between the pressure plate and bellhousing. :devil:

Years ago I bought an '87 CR125. Blew the top end within an hour of buying it. We didn't even bother trying to contact the seller - not his problem.

I always specify AS-IS when selling something like this.

Actually had the opposite happen to me recently. I sold a car as non-running (thought the engine was seized). It turns out it runs great! A bolt had fallen out of the clutch pressure plate and jammed between the pressure plate and bellhousing. :ride:

wow... you pretty much gave away a running car?!? i would have shit bricks when i found out!!! :devil:

I sold a 125 Puch in the seventies the guy rode it on the street even though it was a dirt bike. He crashed into a car and left the bike there but came back for a refund. All I could do was laugh. Later found out he had a warrant for his arrest which is why he fled the scene.

I have bought bike that was suppose to have racetech gold valves and new cranks or pistons, almost all of it was untrue. Unless I see an invoice for the work done I would not believe what you cannot see.

when selling stuff always arrange to meet at a parking lot, and just use a temporary email and Google voice number. Sorry if it sounds shady but I don't really want to be hassled for someone else's problem if they blow up a bike I know was good. You have to be very careful buying and selling stuff these days. I like the idea of draining the gas and and oil and handing over a new jug of whats needed for a change.

• Like 1

Bluntly - not your bike not your problem.

Easilly could have not known how to ride and did it in himself. Too scared to shift and just went all day in first gear [i almost made the same mistake].

not going to lie, but i'd feel pretty bad, but you did your best with it, who knows what he did with it. If you are feeling really nice, if they get the parts, show them how to rebuild the bike, save them the shop fee.

when selling stuff always arrange to meet at a parking lot, and just use a temporary email and Google voice number. Sorry if it sounds shady but I don't really want to be hassled for someone else's problem if they blow up a bike I know was good. You have to be very careful buying and selling stuff these days. I like the idea of draining the gas and and oil and handing over a new jug of whats needed for a change.

unless it is too big to move, never have anyone come to your house, especially from Craigslist. Unfortunately, times are different than they used to be.