Sign in to follow this  

LA-B-Vegas 2012 (LAB2V)

Bump...Its getting closer 10 weeks....My bike is tits !!! (FINALLY!)

Need to start riding every weekend. to be ready for back-to-back 200mi days...OUCH!

Let's here your comments...

Anybody know what hotel is usually used for Thursday night? I went in 09 and stayed in a POS hotel for Thursday but would rather stay where everybody else is this time.

I know its the Ramada for Friday night in Barstow and The Orleans for Saturday and Sunday. Ride home on Monday after some rest.

Palmdale Holiday Inn...

I hear they even have some kind of T-Day buffet dinner ...Just what I need before a 200mi ride???

I'm having doubts...didn't ride much the last month and a half...went out last weekend for like 2hrs and felt like someone beat me with a 2x4... True it was hot...and the last hour was all deep sand in the wash, dumped it a few times so I got in my deadlifts for the day, but I was finished. Doesn't take much to fall out of riding shape...

As of today...400mi weekend just isn't a reasonable expectation for me...no way!!!

Next weekend no riding...at enduro-cross...But then I'm gonna hit it, even if it is in the 100's.

Palmdale Holiday Inn...

I hear they even have some kind of T-Day buffet dinner ...Just what I need before a 200mi ride???

I'm having doubts...didn't ride much the last month and a half...went out last weekend for like 2hrs and felt like someone beat me with a 2x4... True it was hot...and the last hour was all deep sand in the wash, dumped it a few times so I got in my deadlifts for the day, but I was finished. Doesn't take much to fall out of riding shape...

As of today...400mi weekend just isn't a reasonable expectation for me...no way!!!

Next weekend no riding...at enduro-cross...But then I'm gonna hit it, even if it is in the 100's.

You should get your suspension "setup". You wont be as tired afterward.

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel. Its half the cost at Hampton Inn vs Holiday Inn right now. Prolly no T-Day dinner but I think that for the extra $60 I can have a pretty good dinner with some other buddies.

The bike is at the point that nearly everything is done bar fitting the roll chart holder and fender bag, and then getting everything together that will be going along. I still have no idea how far I will get with the IMS 4.0 tank, as I have not managed to drain on a trail yet - me being the limiting factor.

I am not so ready. With work and life the way it has turned out (second bike down for serious maintenance and rebuild, I have not gotten the training in that I had hoped would be the case at this point. I too get exhausted very quickly, and I did not like the sand at Gorman one bit. While I never fell off, my average speed was about 15 miles per hour - some time wasted with navigational duties - and I had two or three very close calls. Not sure at this point if its the front tire, rider technique, or more likely both, to blame.

I was going to try and miss having to spent the night in Palmdale, but rather leave from LA early. I'm now having second thoughts about that. Anyone ever done this?

As to not making the distance, I keep telling myself that there are bailout points and big bike friendly routes, so if I get too beaten up, I intended to make use of them. I'm not trying to impress anyone - it is a self challenge - and I really want to have FUN!

C120:

I here ya...!

I feel the same...I want more to enjoy the ride/experience....than I want to "challenge myself" and turn riding into : Pushing, pulling, lifting, towing or repairing the bike. Some of D37 events are just so harsh....it goes from having fun to freeeeking WORK OR WHITE KNUCKLE FEAR !!! And thats not fun !!!!

So maybe we'll run into each other on the Adventure Bike Route...

It's enough of a challenge just getting my leg over the seat !!!

I'm pretty old and slow myself so if you guys need someone to ride with look me up. I can do the hard ways on these rides but I prefer to see the sights more than push myself too hard.

ptgarcia, you can count on it. Will keep you in the loop with "training days" and the like.

The bike is at the point that nearly everything is done bar fitting the roll chart holder and fender bag, and then getting everything together that will be going along. I still have no idea how far I will get with the IMS 4.0 tank, as I have not managed to drain on a trail yet - me being the limiting factor.

I am not so ready. With work and life the way it has turned out (second bike down for serious maintenance and rebuild, I have not gotten the training in that I had hoped would be the case at this point. I too get exhausted very quickly, and I did not like the sand at Gorman one bit. While I never fell off, my average speed was about 15 miles per hour - some time wasted with navigational duties - and I had two or three very close calls. Not sure at this point if its the front tire, rider technique, or more likely both, to blame.

I was going to try and miss having to spent the night in Palmdale, but rather leave from LA early. I'm now having second thoughts about that. Anyone ever done this?

As to not making the distance, I keep telling myself that there are bailout points and big bike friendly routes, so if I get too beaten up, I intended to make use of them. I'm not trying to impress anyone - it is a self challenge - and I really want to have FUN!

Try to have early Thanksgiving with the family and stay in Palmdale that night. You will thank yourself on starting day.

I have 4.0 IMS and it would go about 160 or more before reserve with the stock petcock. I have since changed the petcock to a Yamaha unit and the standpipe for "on" is much shorter than stock. It will get you alot more miles before reserve but you will have much less gas left when you do get to reserve.

av8shunmeckaneck:

The hotel codes etc are available on the D37 Dual Sport board here http://www.district3...display.php?f=5

Did you used to work at SMO - or maybe still do?

Found them. I dont think the flyer was out yet when I was looking.

Quality Inn doesnt have a spot to enter the code so I emailed them.

The Orleans doesnt have a code either so I emailed them too.

Anybody going to stay till Monday and ride back to the LA Area? My brother are going to stay and maybe do some site seeing on the way home. Its going to be a tough ride home but worth it.

Time to start riding more and get ready.

Quality Inn in Barstow is same price with or without the code.(I called to verify). There is no where to enter the code when reserving online.

The "group" rate for The Orleans is the same as without the code at this point. Again, there is nowhere on their site to enter the code. I put a note with my online reservation questioning that there was no where to enter the code. They replied that rate is the same.

I DID HOWEVER SUCCESSFULLY USE THE CODE ON THE HOLIDAY INN SITE FOR THANKSGIVING NIGHT!!!!!

Too bad the hotels gouge when they know there is an event nearby.

C U There!!!!

I found out, last night, that it is important to use the code irrespective of getting a better price or not. It turns out that D37 Dual Sport try to negotiate prices based on the numbers of patrons that are related to the event, and it seems those numbers are reported by the hotels themselves

So to make things better for future years at least, use the code and report the hotels you are staying at anyplace that the organizers make sure a request of you. It is not because they want to come and invade your privacy ;)

Since I booked all accommodations long before seeing any codes, mine would not be in the counted list. I will be contacting them (Country Inn and New Orleans) to make sure they record that my stay is only because of LAB2V,

Quality Inn in Barstow is same price with or without the code.(I called to verify). There is no where to enter the code when reserving online.

The "group" rate for The Orleans is the same as without the code at this point. Again, there is nowhere on their site to enter the code. I put a note with my online reservation questioning that there was no where to enter the code. They replied that rate is the same.

I DID HOWEVER SUCCESSFULLY USE THE CODE ON THE HOLIDAY INN SITE FOR THANKSGIVING NIGHT!!!!!

Too bad the hotels gouge when they know there is an event nearby.

C U There!!!!

9am - 7pm...Gorman a few hrs...Lunch...Sawmill from Old ridge route to Lake Hughes Road. Then, down to Ruby Clearwater...Francisquito Motorway/Charlie Canyon to Castaic...Dinner...Charlie Canyon/Francisquito Motorway...home. 171mi in the saddle yesterday !!! Sore today!!! Prolly 60mi pavement...

Best place to put GPS...? I bought a ball that goes on the bar-clamp...but after looking at it...seems between the comp, damper and cross-bar...I'm not sure if it'll fit ???

I have my Garmin GPS 60Cx in a Ram mount mounted to an Enduro Engineering universal mount, pushed over to the right hand side of the bars. The Enduro Engineering mount is similar to a cross bar on handle bars that have one. I have oversized bars without a cross bar which is why I need it.

We just got back from the event yesterday afternoon! What a great experience. Next year I will no longer be a rookie, and it is the 30th running. We started the event having done only about 30 miles of "similar" terrain (Gorman) in any one go, and learnt on the job so to speak.

D37 did a wonderful job, just like I guess they do every year from what I heard, as did the sweep crews and volunteers. Some sweep members only made it back to Barstow at 4 am in the morning!!

Now let talk about the bikes. Mine (+13000 miles), an 2007 S model, 3x3, upgraded fork springs, and protection (case, skid plate/bash plate, hand guards etc), IMS 4.0 tank, but otherwise stock (original piston, original battery etc). My son's was an SM 2009, big bore, 3x3 that we completely rebuilt the engine after a transmission failure (+27000) - every bearing etc, etc. Had less than 200 miles on the rebuild at the start of the event, almost all of it exclusively dirt. Standard tank (metal) and suspension, but with dirt wheels. Both ran 15/46 gearing. Both ran with stock CV carbs jetted accordingly

I ran a Kendra Parker DT on the front, D606 on the rear, both brand new. The SM ran Kendra K760 dual sport tires front and back, with maybe 30 miles on them at the start. Both sported heavy duty tubes, inflated to 15 on the front, and 18 at the rear. No complains in the tire department. the D606 rear seems to have held up a little bit better than the Kendra (rounding over), but then it was on the big bore and have slightly more mileage to start with.

Zero mechanical issue (other than the SM overheating after a long slow slog up a river wash to the entrance of Red Rock) and that only because my son did not connect the fan). I never heard the fan on the S ever come on. No loose bolts, no flats, no lost tools, no breakages - although I tried when I took a sudden fall (front washed out) on a stony gravel downhill at about 25 mph on day two before lunch. I am much worse off than the bike. The SM went down into a bush in the thick sand - very gently. Have video of both and will try and get it posted up soon.

The CV carbs are not the best but worked well enough. On very rough ground (kind of fast) one could tell the slide was being move up and down as if one was moving the throttle by hand, but that was not the case. Will have to see if they get upgraded to FCR's by this time next year. Never once did I wish we had more power, or better braking, but then again we were not in the same league as the fast riders, when those things become far more important.

Once we learnt to ride in the sand, the bikes started to perform very well. They took every whoop, every deep trough across the track (just stood and opened the throttle), every wash, and every climb amazingly well. Once we got onto regular dirt roads, we could easily stick to 55/60 (or more in places) - hell we did 55 over soft sand at times for miles on end. Never did more than 60 on any tarred surface - trying to preserve the tires.

We were passed a lot! especially before the whole sand understanding thing kicked in, but did manage to pass some the second day. No it was not a race, and I was there for the fun of it. Understand that a LOT of the fast riders where running on bikes 50 lbs (or more) lighter, with recluse (auto) clutches, and steering dampeners, with riders that are well experienced.

The technical hard ways we took, I did at a pace that preserved the machine and my body. You should have seen the bent rims on some bikes at Barstow at the end of day one! Some folk just flew passed us in rocky sections (in all sections actually, but to see some rides at speed cross rocks and large stones without even slowing was awe inspiring to say the least)

Navigation, via roll chart first, then GPS, proved to be quite a challenge sometimes, and we went "off course" for some distance on at least two occasions. Once the GPS started working well, things improved, but the dust would often require that I pull over to clear the screen and my goggles to see the screen clearly enough to know if we were still on track. I quickly learnt to double check and be sure before rushing on, only to have to turn back later.

So I think there where about 20 DRZ's in all (do not quote me as my memory is letting me down), only one an SM (and the only one with a metal tank), and about 5 or 6 E models (plated), the rest being S's.

We are planning on using them again next year! I am going to get more riding experience in 2013, and plan to do Big Bear and Death Valley rides.

In terms of numbers, KTM had > 200 riders (more than 1 in 3 as I recall), then came Honda, then Suzuki, followed by BMW. Yamaha was next as I recall. I think Kawasaki had < 8 riders in all. Smallest bikes - Honda 90's. Most unusual, an HD (1100 V twin) in a ATK (???) frame, sporting single rear shock. Also a couple or Triumphs - 1970's I think.

cheers

...a long slow slog up a river wash to the entrance of Red Rock

Sounds like Rocky Gap Road / Potato Ridge, a familiar 4x4 trail for us Vegas locals. My Tacoma has left a few mementos out there on some of those rocks.

This is a view looking up the very last part of the wash and then up and over into Red Rock Canyon.

Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for sharing your experience!

My only complaint is that it's held Thanksgiving weekend making it awfully hard to explain to the wife.

Edited by Mayday702