How many miles/km do you have on your WR?

• 3 weeks later...

WR450 2007 - 7000km (approx 4000km dirt, 3000km motard)

Changed timing chain @6000km

Water pump seal went at approx 5000km

No other major maintenance, just the usual oil/filter changes, replace coolant, clean fork seals and replace oil, head stem re-grease and about 20 rear tyres ?

2006 WR450f-21000k. highway-backroads-single track. change oil and filter every 1000k. Probably time to rebuild the engine, Well maybey

this winter. Best dualsport I have ever owned. Too bad yamaha doesnt make a street legal WR 450

No top end or anything? I was going to sell mine around 10,000km but if they go that long... Maybe I'll keep

No top end or anything? I was going to sell mine around 10,000km but if they go that long... Maybe I'll keep

My guess would be, however, he properly maintained it: correctly jetted, oil changed regularly, VALVES CHECKED REGULARLY, etc. and is therefore reaping the benefits of taking care of his bike. He probably geared it for his conditions as well.

Little time, money and effort now, or a lot of time, money and effort later, your choice. These are very reliable bikes if properly maintained, like we've been telling you, but you keep ignoring it and asking the same questions over and over trying to get the answers you want to hear.

• Like 1

I do my maintenance, I was told leave the valves till it becomes harder to start then have them adjusted... Since I don't race the bike (besides the odd time on the street). It's been a very low maintenance bike compared to my xt225

I was told to check my valves ASAP after buying my 08' and I did. A Yamaha mechanic showed me his piston on his personal WR450 that had grenaded after trying to eat a titanium valve. Titanium is 100X as hard as alumiunum.... There was lots of ugly damage as a result. Everything had to be taken apart & it cost lot'sa money to fix.

I checked my valves 2 days after seeing that. Btw, they were "spot on" perfect.

I can't imagine what trouble you had with an XT225. Mine's be trouble-free since I got it.

I do my maintenance, I was told leave the valves till it becomes harder to start then have them adjusted... Since I don't race the bike (besides the odd time on the street). It's been a very low maintenance bike compared to my xt225

Whoever told you that is an idiot. These bikes have a maint schedule, follow it. My 04 ran like a top, started with the electric starter without issue and gets regular oil and filter changes. Something like 1500 mikes in the bike total between me, the PO and all the miles my dad has been putting on it. Just to ease my mind (since I'm not the original owner) this spring we pulled the valve cover and found 4 of the 5 valves tight. Bike ran great, I don't bounce off the limiter (dad doesn't either) but the will move and need to be kept on top of. This isn't a 2 stroke.

Do whatever, we always tell you to maintain the bike but you ignore what's said, listen ti advice you want to hear and wait until things break. Good luck with that, your young and will (hopefully) eventually learn to listen to others trying to help you and stay on top of potential issues.

And I'm done.

Only had it for 3000 km and it needed clutch, front wheel, bearing, chain, sprockets. And it had no power

It you bought it new you beat the shit out of it riding it like it was a 'crosser. Ride it like it was designed and they will last forever.

Should have added front and rear shocks were both toasted...

My point exactly. An XT225 is not a motocross bike, no matter how many times you beat it into believing it is.

Beat the shit out of something, it will fail. Beat on something but maintain it? It will actually last.

Stealth,

I'm thinking you might be better off with a DRZ400. That's the bike I sold to upgrade to the WR450. It's a lot more bike than the XT225 in size & power, but is heavier & has less power than the WR450.

The DRZ is a good bike for "piling on the miles". Lots of guys go 20,000 mile without rebuilding the top end. The valves rarely need checking. It's a little better on the pavement than the WR450, but the WR450 is a lot better in the woods.

2006 WR450f-21000k. highway-backroads-single track. change oil and filter every 1000k. Probably time to rebuild the engine, Well maybey

this winter. Best dualsport I have ever owned. Too bad yamaha doesnt make a street legal WR 450

Have 2300km on my '08 450. Summitseeker, I need a tour guide for the Pemberton area this summer, is there any old mining roads in that area you can reach in the late summer? Or is it all snowed in still?

I flog the piss out of my bikes... but I take care of them. Change oil often, clean the air filter very often, at least every other oil change. Check valves every 6-8 months. Do those three things alone and your bike will go and go.

It really sounds like your bike was thrashed when you bought it... it is probably a ticking time bomb. You are really asking for it

• Like 1