2013 Honda CRF250L, Honda let me down

I think honda let us down with the new CRF250L. We didn't need another Japanese softcore Dualsport option. Suspension looks good for street but not enough for serious off-road, and 320 lbs wet is way to much for a 250. This is basically a small trail bike just like the CRF230L.

Looks like the motor is from the CBR250, tuned for better low end. Should last forever and at $4499 retail the price is low.

I won't be trading it for my DRZ. I would consider the new NC700x for a commuting bike. I saw it at the motorcycle show. Its lockage 21 liter storage was a nice option.

I think honda let us down with the new CRF250L. We didn't need another Japanese softcore Dualsport option. Suspension looks good for street but not enough for serious off-road, and 320 lbs wet is way to much for a 250. This is basically a small trail bike just like the CRF230L.

Looks like the motor is from the CBR250, tuned for better low end. Should last forever and at $4499 retail the price is low.

I won't be trading it for my DRZ. I would consider the new NC700x for a commuting bike. I saw it at the motorcycle show. Its lockage 21 liter storage was a nice option.

I don't know what you expected, but there isn't ANY reason to be surprised by what the bike is. If you want hardcore you buy the CRF X.

Sales of street legal dirtbikes aren't there anymore (US) for HOnda to stay involved. They have ceded that market to KTM and others that sell tiny volumes compared to Honda.

The growth is in bkes JUST LIKE THE CRF250L, street legal but rider friendly, super gas mileage with adequate power, off road "style" without putting real money into suspension, SELL IT CHEAP.......and hugely important in many countries, under 250cc to get big insurance breaks.

The end.................

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 2

i reckon the wr is worth much more than 2k over the new honda... and i m a honda man :).. the wr is a way better bike... the new honda is more like the xt250 than the wr...

don't forget it's not Japanese anymore... look where it's made.. that tells you a lot... just like those new kawa-suckys

:)

Shoot, they been making bikes all over the world for years now.

China's been making "Honda" motors for Honda for more than 10 years (if memory serves).

don't forget it's not Japanese anymore... look where it's made.. that tells you a lot... just like those new kawa-suckys

:)

Yes, Honda decided to build a little street bike that looks like a dirt bike, nice idea, but really, in 2012?? If you're into real trails and off-roading I'd look elsewhere...

The Yamaha is twice the bike the Honda is.......As I've ridden both...

Remember the 1968 DT1 Yamaha? Deja-Vu???

When did you get to ride the CRF250L? You a press member or something?

Anyway, the Yamaha should be around 1.5 times the bike that the Honda is, just going on price alone.

I don't have a problem with the concept, it's a nice, cheap, modern backroad machine that makes a lot of sense at that price point.

What I have a problem with is Honda and other companies neglecting the need for a true dual sport. The crf250l would be a nice option, but it's the ONLY option for honda unless you want the outdated, piggy XRL or an even more anemic 230. The CRFX is a great bike, but with a tiny oil capacity and lack of subframe it's not much of adventure machine.

Yamaha seems to be the only company taking this segment serious, and the WRR is the only contender beyond the Euro bikes....and it's selling well dunno why the other 3 haven't given it serious competition.

Yes, Honda decided to build a little street bike that looks like a dirt bike, nice idea, but really, in 2012?? If you're into real trails and off-roading I'd look elsewhere...

The Yamaha is twice the bike the Honda is.......As I've ridden both...

Remember the 1968 DT1 Yamaha? Deja-Vu???

Apples - Oranges.....................

i reckon the wr is worth much more than 2k over the new honda... and i m a honda man :).. the wr is a way better bike... the new honda is more like the xt250 than the wr...

I agree with most of this statement but if one is going to spend the money for the WR250R one may want to take a good look at the DRZ400S first...my opinion.

I don't know what you expected, but there isn't ANY reason to be surprised by what the bike is. If you want hardcore you buy the CRF X.

Sales of street legal dirtbikes aren't there anymore (US) for HOnda to stay involved. They have ceded that market to KTM and others that sell tiny volumes compared to Honda.

The growth is in bkes JUST LIKE THE CRF250L, street legal but rider friendly, super gas mileage with adequate power, off road "style" without putting real money into suspension, SELL IT CHEAP.......and hugely important in many countries, under 250cc to get big insurance breaks.

The end.................

Sad but true...Honda let me down too.

:lame:

I agree with most of this statement but if one is going to spend the money for the WR250R one may want to take a good look at the DRZ400S first...my opinion.

Depends on what you're going to do with it. I went from a DRZ400S with a FCR and re-tuned suspension to a new 2008 WR250R and haven't looked back. Granted I mostly use it for nasty single track with very occasional desert riding. IMHO the Yami is easily worth the price difference over the DRZ in the woods. Not trying to break any hearts here but I'll go out on a limb and state that the WR250R is the best single track DS out there this side of the Euros. Like every DS, it likes to be sprinkled liberally with some time and $$ before going out and riding it like you stole it.

Edited by Gas_Pig90
  • Like 1

Depends on what you're going to do with it. I went from a DRZ400S with a FCR and re-tuned suspension to a new 2008 WR250R and haven't looked back. Granted I mostly use it for nasty single track with very occasional desert riding. IMHO the Yami is easily worth the price difference over the DRZ in the woods. Not trying to break any hearts here but I'll go out on a limb and state that the WR250R is the best single track DS out there this side of the Euros. Like every DS, it likes to be sprinkled liberally with some time and $$ before going out and riding it like you stole it.

Yes exactly...here's one that gets it...Depends on what your going to do with it...

That is the question and answer.................... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Problem is the Honda choose a bad name. The CRF series to me means competition and racing four stroke.

People expects this to be a race ready machine. Clearly, at over 300, it is not meant to be racing.

Honda should have called it XR250L. Then people wouldn't be hating it so much. Like Yamaha has XT250 to

differentiate its YZ series. You don't see haters critizing Yamaha because they made clear this is what it is.

I think a lot of uneducated buyers will thought they're buying a street legal CRF250R. Maybe this is what Honda

intended to do.

Edited by Terminatr
  • Like 4

Problem is the Honda choose a bad name. The CRF series to me means competition and racing four stroke.

People expects this to be a race ready machine. Clearly, at over 300, it is not meant to be racing.

Honda should have called it XR250L. Then people wouldn't be hating it so much. Like Yamaha has XT250 to

differentiate its YZ series. You don't see haters critizing Yamaha because they made clear this is what it is.

I think a lot of uneducated buyers will thought they're buying a street legal CRF250R. Maybe this is what Honda

intended to do.

I do not think anyone considers the crf230f,crf100f,crf80f,crf70f crf50f to be "Competition racing series bikes", but they are still in the CRF family. Fact of the matter is most of the CRFs are slow trail bikes. You look at the last letter in the name to determine performance category.

R-MX Racing(CRF450R)

X- Really fast trail bike.(CRF450X)

F- Really slow trail bikes(CRF230F)

L - Dual Sport.(CRF250L)

Edited by jamesgardner83
  • Like 3

Looking for new threads to troll since yours has petered out? I doubt anybody that is/was hoping for more from Honda would expect it at the same price. :bonk:

Edited by G.P.

You guys are a bunch of spoiled brats. A $4500 bike and you act like they're asking $10000. This bike was built for people like me who can't spend ten grand. If eveyone did there home work all of youthe would know how much sales are down on motorcycles. I believe this bike is sweet and the supermoto version is even sweeter. I'm going to love riding this bike around when I get it. Just my style. Good looking ,cheap, and amazing on gas. Oh and I get to enjoy it on the road and trailes.

• Like 6